Re: {SOLUTION} Sims4 No Sound Bug on Computer/Laptop

by RoseTyler1219

Original Post

Re: [SOLUTION] Fix for no sound in Sims 4

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I just noticed this issue yesterday after downloading the new pack. I haven't played for a couple of weeks so I don't know if it specifically started with the pack or the patch or when Origin updated at the same time as the patch.

Sims 4 would no longer appear in the Volume Mixer on game start up and when I went to the settings in game no music stations would appear under music. I tried all of the fixes in this thread including removing my mods and repairing the game (numerous times when trying the other things listed here), deleting the options and config files and the cache files, changing the sampling rate (I tried every possible setting), removing my Sims 4 folder in Documents and letting the game generate a new one, updating my sound card drivers and disabling any devices that appeared under control panel>hardware and sound>sound>Manage audio devices except for my default speakers and the entries that said they were not plugged in. Also a bit of a more drastic step but overnight I reinstalled the game.

The last thing I did do today was disable all of the AMD HD devices under Manage Audio Devices that said they were not plugged in (I didn't do it previously as I figured they wouldn't be competing with the default speakers if the computer didn't recognise them as connected in the first place) and at the same time I deleted the Origin Cache files as detailed on this page and repaired the game again and now my sound is working. Not knowing which of those things fixed my issue I came out of the game and re-enabled the unplugged AMD devices and the sound does still work in game so I'm leaning towards it being some sort of Origin issue but it could be something that configured properly when I repaired the game with those disabled. I don't really know because my game worked well until yesterday and the only thing that changed with my set up between yesterday and the last time that I played was the game/Origin updates. Anyway I just thought I would post this in case anyone else tries the suggestions in this thread without any results.

For reference this is on Win 10 Pro and using the Realtek sound card driver.

Message 81 of 98 (2,273 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I just noticed this issue yesterday after downloading the new pack. I haven't played for a couple of weeks so I don't know if it specifically started with the pack or the patch or when Origin updated at the same time as the patch.

Sims 4 (and more often than not Origin) would no longer appear in the Volume Mixer on game start up and when I went to the settings in game no music stations would appear under music. I tried all of the fixes in this thread including removing my mods and repairing the game (numerous times), deleting the options and config files and the cache files, changing the sampling rate (I tried every possible setting), removing my Sims 4 folder in Documents and letting the game generate a new one, updating my sound card drivers and disabling any devices that appeared under control panel>hardware and sound>sound>Manage audio devices other that my default speakers and the entries that said they were not plugged in. Also a bit of a more drastic step but overnight I reinstalled the game.

The last thing I did do was disable all of the AMD HD devices under Manage audio devices that said they were not plugged in (I didn't do it previously as I figured they wouldn't be competing with the default speakers if the computer didn't recognise them as connected) and at the same time I deleted the Origin Cache files as detailed on this page and repaired the game again and now my sound is working. Not knowing which of those things fixed my issue I came out of the game again and re-enabled the unplugged devices and the sound does still work in game so I'm leaning towards it being some sort of Origin issue but maybe something configured properly when I repaired the game with those disabled. I don't really know but the only thing that has changed in my set up between yesterday and when I last played is the updates to Sims/Origin. Anyway I just thought I'd post in case anyone else has a similar issue and the solutions given in this thread don't work for them.

For reference this is on Win 10 Pro using Realtek soundcard drivers.

Message 82 of 98 (2,296 Views)

No Sound Sims 4 - Solution 2021

★★ Novice

I FINALLY FIGURED THIS OUT, so I had to share here!

TLDR; For months, I haven't had any sound on Sims 4 on my MSI GE62VR 7RF Apache Pro. The culprit was the Nahimic 2 software, which is incompatible with Origin.

I've lost sound in the past (usually after an update), but after updating the game and/or my drivers, the sound would return. Sometime in October 2020, it just stopped permanently. I've spent countless hours reading through all of the blogs and threads and tried everything (except completely wiping my computer) from clearing Orgin's cache, deleting sims config files, never used the '-nosound' hack, learning python to read through the exception files, uninstalling/reinstalling Orgin and the Sims, repair after repair, launching through Origin vs desktop, updating drivers, firewall, settings, permissions, running troubleshooting tests, etc. After testing SimCity, Chrome, and Windows Media Player, I was convinced that it was specific to Sims 4 and that somehow my computer was too outdated to handle it- I was just about to get a new computer. 

Then something weird happened. There was a windows update notification to the effect of 'your version of Windows will no longer be supported, update now', so I scheduled it, then failed to keep my computer plugged in so it didn't install. The next day when I got the notification stating that it didn't install because the computer wasn't on or didn't have sufficient battery power, I immediately thought - uh oh - because my computer's battery is completely dead and only runs whiled plugged in, and I was concerned that the update wouldn't be successful. I did the update anyway without backing up my computer Party hat, and sure enough, the next time I turn it on, the MSI loading screen says 'Undoing changes done to your computer'. When it's finished loading, I open the Sims 4 and - THE SOUND WAS BACK!

I was so excited, I didn't even feel like trying to figure out what was different. The next day however, when I booted up my computer there was a Windows message saying 'Getting windows ready', then when I loaded the Sims, the sound was gone again!

But this proved that my computer is perfectly capable of playing the audio- HOPE WAS NOT LOST!

I spent the last two days troubleshooting what could possibly have been different between the two times my computer loaded. I found out that Sims plays sound if I connect my computer to my TV via an HDMI, so it was specific to the Realtek Audio Driver, which checked out perfectly and was also capable of playing audio. By order of deductive reasoning, it had to be Origin somehow. So I did more searching and happened across this thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/EA-General-Questions/No-Sound-in-Origin-Games/td-p/6835396

It was Nahimic 2! I uninstalled the program, restarted my computer, launched sims - and THE SOUND IS BACK! I didn't even have to uninstall/reinstall any drivers. 

I sincerely hope this works for some of you! 

Message 83 of 98 (2,167 Views)

Re: No Sound Sims 4 Solution 2021

Hero (Retired)

@Katorisu   I think the Nahimic driver is just a sound enhancement. I have posted about issues with this driver on MSI and I think ASUS uses it also. I thought that if you dl'd the version from MSI support that it might work. I think there is a Nahimic 3 out now. Usually the sound chip on the mother boards are pretty bullet proof. Glad you figured it out and posted yoour solution to help others.

Message 84 of 98 (2,083 Views)

★★ Novice

Forward to 2021:

I have tried everything suggested here plus some things not listed; including uninstalling everything & starting fresh.

Nothing worked during the week I spent researching & going thru multiple support contacts. 

Then, I went into the Device Manager > Audio Inputs & outputs where I disabled the speakers in my monitor; so tiny you can barely hear them anyway.

All better. For some reason, the game decided to ignore my sound system & play thru the tiny speakers.

The one thing I thought couldn't possibly work was the answer!

Message 85 of 98 (1,925 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@xXZSDTxGORDENXx Is there anything else I can do to fix this problem, I tried everything you said I also uninstall the game and installed it back again and still no sound.
Message 86 of 98 (1,867 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Bria226 on the launcher for Sims 4 it has a LOAD button, is that the one you push or just push play after follow instructions?
Message 87 of 98 (1,806 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie
@xXZSDTxGORDENXx I did the first suggestion, deleting the options and configuration files and now I am not able to even open the game..
Message 88 of 98 (1,759 Views)

@RoseTyler1219  What happens when you try to launch the game?  One easy thing you can try is forcing Origin to launch Sims 4 in windowed mode.  Open your game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, select Game Properties > Advanced Launch Options, write -w (with the hyphen) in the command line box, and save.  To undo the change, simply delete the text.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 89 of 98 (1,747 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i did this and my game broke.. thanks

Message 90 of 98 (1,673 Views)