Re: SIms 3 on Windows 10

by LunaRoselli

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Novice
For those of you who have Windows 10 you can downgrade back to windows 8 by going to that search bar at the bottom of your screen and typing in Downgrade back to windows 8.1 click that and it will give you the option to downgrade back to windows 10 I am really disappointed with Windows 10 at least windows 8 let's me play my Sims game with no problem
Message 11 of 71 (14,374 Views)

★ Novice

I'm having some issues, ive recently updated to Windows 10 and some things just aren't working as good as they should be. I have Sims 3, Sims 3 Pets, and a couple of upgrade packs for buy mode content, all of which are loading and working.

My struggles are with logging in to my profile via the sims dashboard (it tells me my passwork or email are invalid but they aren't because I can log in on the actual website), simply moving around my lot whilst playing the sims is difficult as it jumps around.

Thanks

Message 12 of 71 (14,208 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I seen a video that says to set compatibility to windows 95, does that still apply to windows 10? Since there isn't a windows 10 option.

Message 13 of 71 (14,051 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I tried compatability mode with win7, win8 and XP service pack 2 and my game crashes regardless. Help please Standard smile

Message 14 of 71 (13,883 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I have just made an account so I hope you get this and can help!

I am about to buy the Sims 3 download on Steam. I have never bought anything online for download before. I used to have the Sims 1 but it will not download on my laptop which runs with Windows 10 and is brand new.

I just want to confirm it will download and work with Windows 10 if I spend £25. I saw about using compatibility mode but I don't even know how to do that!

Please help. I am desperate and reeeally want to play!

Thanks

Message 15 of 71 (13,882 Views)

Re: Sims 3 on Windows 10

★ Guide

Yeah the solution is a patch to remove SecuRom as the DRM.

Microsoft removed support for SafeDisk and SecuRom in Windows 10 by effectively removing their ability to install their rootkit.

I believe those who have upgraded rather than a complete reinstall/new pc with win10 have a situation where the rootkits installed previously were not removed in the upgrade. This is not isolated to EA games but EA have used SecuRom for just about every title that all their games suffer from the same issue.

So hopefully those at EA realise that SecuRom is the issue (as the error clearly states "A required security module cannot be activated. This program cannot be executed (8016).").

Message 16 of 71 (13,815 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

^

This, this and a 1000x this!! EA plz, I miss my sims 3!!

Message 17 of 71 (13,790 Views)

Hero

It should be noted though that only the disc-based versions of the games are troublesome, as the DRM was included on the medium itself to prevent duplication by naughty people.

This is something I found about the whole SecuROM issue in this article: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-play-safedisc-securom-drm-games-in-windows-10-3623760/

Now, for Sims 3 disc that should not be an issue at all since the Sims 3 disc do not have Securom. I do think some of the downloaded games do have securom but according to this, it should not be a problem. I've installed the download version on Win 10 before it came out and had no issue starting or playing it so I'm really unsure what the real issue is here.

I do hear there's a potential issue with the skylark processor but it seems there was an update.

So for those who have this securom error, what version are you trying and what processor you have ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 18 of 71 (13,781 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Like I said, those who updated from a pre-existing installation of windows wont have a single issue.

The Skylake processors came out after windows 10, Most Skylake users will put windows 10 on their system as as they cannot upgrade them from their old Operating system because OEM software assigns itself to the hardware, new hardware=new OS. So why would they fork out money for win 7/8 then to upgrade to win10, when buying straight into win10 is cheaper and more time effective.

Sure retrospect it wouldve worked better, install win 7/8, install sims (and with it securom) upgrade to 10 and the whole problem would be solved. But thats not what is going to happen, and anyone upgrading their hardware in the future will have the same problem, as windows 10 becomes the standard for Factory builds aswell. Just hoping EA sees some sense in doing the work now while the numbers are few to prevent more issues in the future as more people upgrade their PC's.

Sims 4 does work though (at least the 48hr trial) which is a plus, maybe they can put its DRM onto Sims 3.

EDIT: Ok I stand corrected, I set up a dual boot to my old Windows 8.1 drive (OEM so thought this wouldnt work but it did) and ran the game, had the same problem. At this point I shift my focus from Win10 to Skylake.

So I went and checked my BIOS version and there was an update, nothing specific to this issue but I figured Id try it.

This did resolve the issue and I have been able to load into Sims3 fully patched (without EP's Ill try them later) where I couldnt before. So where Gigabyte specifically identified their update fixed this issue Asus did not.

For Asus users you need to go to http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en and put the model of motherboard ie Maximus VIII ranger, select the OS and then expand BIOS. Mine for the above mention board were at 0401 an update to 0801 is there, download it and save it to a USB drive. You then reboot, go into BIOS and use the EZ updater to update the BIOS using the file you just downloaded to USB. When it starts WAIT, do not do anything until you boot into Windows, it may look like your PC is done but it switches off and on a few times when its done it booted up to windows for me (had to restart and re-apply certain BIOS settings). 

Gigabyte have a similar update available http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/download-center.aspx and choose your motherboard etc like the above example. I dont know how their BIOS update works but Im sure theres instruction on their site.

Message 19 of 71 (13,614 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

This really suck I have invested over £150 in the sims and if not me then my friends and family have bought me them, I have been trying for over 3 months now for them to work I have tried everything I can think of as well. I miss my sims 3 and I want it back. GET SIMS 3 WORKING ON WINDOWS 10!!!

Message 20 of 71 (13,437 Views)