SIMS 3 - wont launch after super patch

by Mz_Tudor

Original Post

SIMS 3 - wont launch after super patch

★ Novice

Original dvds - base game and some expansions.

Install fine, run the super patch and the game won't launch (initialization error). Sometimes it will go to the launcher and say there was an error on start-up and to check the log, but can't find an error log anywhere.

Have tried uninstalling and deleting registry errors, reinstall - works fine before the patch, wont work after the patch. 

Have tried removing folder from documents, clearing caches, etc - nothing works.

Can't download through the EA download manager because flash is no longer supported.

So what do I do? I've spent around £300 on this game over the years and to not be able to play it is frustrating.

Message 1 of 5 (450 Views)

Re: SIMS 3 - wont launch after super patch

@Mz_Tudor  Even though you have the original discs, are you using Origin to install, or is Origin involved in the process at any point?  If so, running the Super Patch can break your install.  The easy way to tell is to check your patch level, in the lower left corner of the launcher.  A Windows/Origin install will be patch 1.69; anything lower than that can use the Super Patch.

Please make sure that you're using the correct version of the Super Patch.  You can find the Windows version here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/175477/official-ea-download-link-for-the-sims-3-cumulati...

If it's easier, you can install just the base game, launch it to test, then run the Super Patch and see whether it works.  At the very least, you'll be saving a lot of time.  And if the base game alone doesn't work even before patching, that's useful information.

It is technically possible to patch through the launcher, although the launcher is less reliable than the Super Patch.  Still, you can always try.

And of course you could download the game through Origin instead, that is if you're willing to play through Origin as well.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (439 Views)

★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thanks, I managed to get it to work by resetting windows, the registry was corrupt.

Can I play through origin without having to buy the games again? That would be easier in future
Message 3 of 5 (429 Views)

@Mz_Tudor  Yes, you should be able to play through Origin.  If you at some point registered your content either in Origin or on the old Sims 3 site ( www.thesims3.com or store.thesims3.com ), it should appear in the Origin account tied to the email address you used back then.  The old Sims 3 site and Origin share information.

If you never registered your game and packs, you can do so now, using the same product keys you enter when installing via disc.  Open your Origin game library, click + Add a Game in the upper right corner, and enter each code in turn.

In either case, you'll be able to download the game, for free, from your Origin library as many times as you want.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 5 (415 Views)

★ Novice

Ah, I lost access to that email account a few years ago so guess I can't then, ah well. Thanks for your replies.

Message 5 of 5 (400 Views)