Re: Roof glitch?

by SheriGR

Original Post

Roof glitch?

★★★★ Apprentice

The roof is just ... floating? And it doesn't have the same size as the walls. Like lets say the wall is 4 spaces big, I drag the roof to be 4 spaces but it's smaller than the wall! It doesn't even out and the roofs don't really blend well? I feel like I don't understand the building tools.

Message 1 of 4 (2,048 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Kanelbullet 

I have made a rough reproduction of your build and did some roofing experiments in a video for you at this link:  https://youtu.be/ZSnv4Ro_skI

In my reproduction of your build the roof has several challenging octagonal and diagonal roofing areas, plus an odd/uneven area at a joint. These are a few of the methods of addressing roofing in this case. There is also an area which is giving the error "invalid diagonal intersection" when trying to add a diagonal half-hipped roof. I address this by changing to hipped roof.

There is also adjustment of eaves to cover the gap on the octagonal roof, and an area that did not come together evenly if the hipped roofing is used on the adjoining areas so I used a flat-roof with fencing and tried several roofing items in that area. This can also be a great area to add a chimney then a roof as the uneven area will then be off-set, especially if it is a chunky chimney.

Following are some helpful roofing articles and another video. Roofing is challenging in Sims 4 but you will become more accustomed to it. Please let me know how it goes!

Gallery ID: SheriGR
I play on Mac with aging off, never use Mods or CC, & have played since Sims 1.
I own all packs, run updates immediately, backup daily, & build ...a lot.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 2 of 4 (2,024 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Thank you for taking so much time for my question! I will look at this again but won't be able to the coming week probably (it's pride week :o ) but after that, I will probably have another go at the roof.

I realize it's a weird house but it's from a film. And I kinda wish there was a tool that was like "fill the top of the house with roof". 

Message 3 of 4 (1,992 Views)

Champion

@Kanelbullet No problem... just let me know how it goes and if you need anything else once you're able to get to it.

I think we all miss 'auto roofs' from the past in Sims, but I've come to not mind them since when you have to make your own roof it can become a key part of the design - an asset. In my case, whenever possible I design from the outside in... making sure that the outside elements are the first priority in design. This way if something needs to be adjusted in the inside layout to accommodate the outside layout and roof so they are interesting and have good lines, then I do it before my indoor layout and content is to the place when I can't change it easily.

Anyway, challenging roofing projects are a good learning experience in the end, and can make for some interesting buildings, so there's that. Standard smile

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 4 of 4 (1,988 Views)