Removing sims from household

by escapedpolarbear

Original Post

Removing sims from household

★★★★★ Apprentice

I have a sims 3 world with 8 sims; 6 young adults and 2 teens. This world takes an excessively long time to load and has a lot of other issues due to the size. I have decided I want to remove the teens. However what I would like to do is save the two teens as a separate household and save them in case I ever decide to revisit them. It just won't allow me to do this seeing as they are too young to live alone. I attempted to edit them using cheats and turn them into young adults (I wouldn't mind them bring young adults), but their outfits changed completely and I want to keep their outfits the same. I also can't create a separate young adult to live with them as my household is maxed out. What can I do?

Message 1 of 6 (5,095 Views)

Re: Removing sims from household

@escapedpolarbear  Teen and young adult/adult clothing isn't exactly the same, so I'm not surprised the game would assign entirely new outfits for the sims once you aged them up.  I think that even when there's a teen and an adult version of the same item, the game rerolls the outfits anyway.

Right now, you have a few options.  If you only want to save the look of the sims, you can bring each one into CAS (enable the testingcheatsenabled true cheat, then shift-click on the sim) and save the sim as a template.  Then you'll be able to add those sims to other households you create.

Another option is to create an adult placeholder sim, have one of your sims make friends and "invite to move in," then instead of moving that sim in, choose the teens from the move screen and assign them to the placeholder sim's household.

Finally, if you want to use a mod, NRaas Mover allows moves that involve teens as heads of household.  So your two teens could move out together without another adult.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (5,074 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you! I think I'll start with saving the sims as templates - how do I do this?
Message 3 of 6 (5,051 Views)

@escapedpolarbear  Bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "testingcheatsenabled true" without quotes.  Then shift-click on a sim and select "Edit in Create a Sim."  Once in CAS, click on the three dots on the portrait of the sim in the user interface, then click the folder icon; this saves the sim as a CAS template.

When you want to see the template, click the six silhouettes in the user interface, which will bring up all the sims saved in CAS, including those saved by the game.  You can filter by age and/or gender, or click the snowflake icon to see only the sims you've created or downloaded.  You can use the template on a new sim you're making in Create a Household, or you can bring an existing sim into CAS the same way as above and then impose the template on that sim, essentially swapping their CAS details for the ones you saved.

Just so you know, the templates don't save a sim's relationships, skills, or anything else about their lives.  This is really just useful for cloning sims: you get a blank slate but with the particular look you want.

Message 4 of 6 (5,031 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict I'm so sorry I've only just been able to get round to replying. I've saved the two sims I want to remove as templates, but there isn't the six silhouette option in testingcheats > edit in CAS. What do I have to do to get it to appear?
Message 5 of 6 (4,965 Views)

@escapedpolarbear  When in CAS, do you see a button with the outline of sim heads above the Undo and Redo buttons?  That's the button I meant.

Message 6 of 6 (4,957 Views)