Reinstall on new computer giving me trouble!

by Bones3159

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Reinstall on new computer giving me trouble!

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Ok, so I just got a new gaming laptop, and when I launched my game for the first time it said my video card was unrecognized. I have no clue what that even is, but I did buy this very laptop for the graphics card. This is the first time I've ever run into this issue so I'm probably just clueless, but any help would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 8 (608 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Reinstall on new computer giving me trouble!

★★★★★ Guide

Good evening @Bones3159 ;

If you got a new computer and the game is stating that your video card is not recognized, it's usually a good first indicator that you may want to update your video drivers.

1: Click the Windows icon (Lower-left) to bring up the program menu, then type "Device Manager."
2: Expand the "Display Adapters" selection, then right-click on each option, select "Check for Updates" or "Update Device." (Have Windows search online for the latest updates.)

3: After you are finished, you may need to restart the computer; do so if asked.

When finished, try and open Sims 4 again.

An outdated display adapter/driver can trigger this issue; updating it should resolve it. If it does not, let us know.

Kind Regards,

- B

View in thread

Message 2 of 8 (596 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Guide

Good evening @Bones3159 ;

If you got a new computer and the game is stating that your video card is not recognized, it's usually a good first indicator that you may want to update your video drivers.

1: Click the Windows icon (Lower-left) to bring up the program menu, then type "Device Manager."
2: Expand the "Display Adapters" selection, then right-click on each option, select "Check for Updates" or "Update Device." (Have Windows search online for the latest updates.)

3: After you are finished, you may need to restart the computer; do so if asked.

When finished, try and open Sims 4 again.

An outdated display adapter/driver can trigger this issue; updating it should resolve it. If it does not, let us know.

Kind Regards,

- B

Message 2 of 8 (597 Views)

★★★★ Novice

It seems to have worked! Followup question - on my old laptop I could download cc from The Sims Resource/Mod The Sims etc., but now if I add any cc at all (even stuff that worked on my old laptop) it says the game can't open because of missing or damaged data. When I remove all cc it runs just fine, but cc is kind of my favorite part of the CAS and build process. Any ideas on that?

Message 3 of 8 (588 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

It sounds like the game may be having some issues accessing anything in the Mods folder.

See if you can access Origin (And summarily Sims 4) as a Windows Administrator.

1: Close Origin first.

2: Right-click on Origin (If on desktop) and select "Run as Administrator." 

3: Run The Sims 4 from Origin. (If it runs this way, let me know.)

If it does not run successfully, would you be able to share a screenshot of your Mods folder, including the file path?

Kind Regards,

- B

Message 4 of 8 (583 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Thank you so much for your help so far. I'm not seeing an option to "run as administrator" when I right-click Origin. I'm on a laptop if that makes a difference. Also, I can't figure out how to add a picture to the post. I'm trying the attachment but I don't know if I'm doing it right. Sorry, I'm clearly not a computer whiz!! Again, I appreciate you helping me with this.

Message 5 of 8 (575 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

It shouldn't make a difference, but if you are not seeing an option to Run as Administrator, we can try another angle.

1: Go to the Windows button. (Lower-left)

2: Type "Origin" to filter down to locate the Origin application.

3: Right-Click on the Origin icon. (If it doesn't give an option to Run as Administrator here, look for a "More..." option, and see if it's there.)

If we still do not see a Run as Administrator option after all this, let me know. 

(A question in the meantime; in your Mods folder, do you happen to have your mods in .zip and .rar files? If so, you may need to unpack these in the Mods folder, as Sims 4 does not recognize .zip or .rar files.)

Kind Regards,

- B

Message 6 of 8 (564 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Ok, I think this is all working! I was able to run Origin as the admin, and I did find one .rar file. I didn't know those had to be unpacked! I feel pretty silly not knowing that. Thank you so much!!!

Best,
Clary
Message 7 of 8 (561 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

No problem at all! Glad to know it worked!

Have fun in the Sims 4!

Kind Regards,

- B

Message 8 of 8 (559 Views)