by cosmoblivion

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Redeem Code Error on Origin/PC

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide
Hello, All!

I received a Sims 4 NiftyKnitting gift code.YAY! Party hat

I'm on Origin and when I entered the code under "redeem a code"  it didn't appear to register....

so I rebooted everything from Origin to my computer, and started over.

When Origin opened this time, it immediately began downloading the entire sims 4 game

...with an error message coming for every pack!

Now any time I open Origin, it begins a repair files action of the entire Sims 4 game and packs,

a long tedious process to happen every time.

Then I caught a chance, to open the game in between error codes...and the game works fine... EXCEPT

not the NiftyKnitting pack, which shows up by the way in last place on the reload

and also always ends with the error code too.

But NiftyKnitting is not installing at all. Broken heart

Help? Fingers crossed

Thanks Heart

Message 1 of 10 (1,048 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Redeem Code Error on Origin/PC

@cosmoblivion  The code you received for Nifty Knitting isn't corrupted: either it works, and the pack gets added to your account, or it doesn't work, and Origin rejects the code outright, or (occasionally) the pack gets entirely removed from your account later.  But if you're allowed to at least try to download it, then you own the pack, and the code is fine.

The error does sound like a permissions issue, which can be caused by disk corruption or an overzealous antivirus/firewall, among other things.  Try running Origin as an admin—right-click on the Origin shortcut and select "Run as administrator"—if you haven't already.  And try temporarily disabling any antivirus/firewall you have running as well.

If you don't get anywhere with restoring permissions, you can try creating a new admin user account on your computer and downloading while in that account.  If that doesn't help either, there are other approaches you can try, but let me know what you've already done that hasn't worked.  And please also run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 7 of 10 (862 Views)

All Replies

@cosmoblivion  Which packs are currently installed in your game, and do they all load when you go to play?  Please also post a screenshot of the error you're getting with Nifty Knitting.

Message 2 of 10 (1,003 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Hi puzzleaddict, thanks for asking. CoolHeart

All packs et al, except for the Eco-pack... everything else I have purchased.

And yes, all of them appear to be working, i.e. loading, just as usual.

Here is the thing that strikes me as odd.... NiftyKnitting shows as ready to download.

...you know when you click on the extras separately? I click on Stuff Packs, scroll down

and there is NiftyKnitting with the download button. All the others show as already downloaded.

When I click to download it from there, I get an error message again. Thinking

If this is useful info...I don't know...

but I've noted a couple of other things:

1. in the columns of things downloaded, all three bundles are listed as downloaded... only I literally bought each new expansion of the game as it came out from the beginning. I never purchased the bundles.

2. when the whole thing comes up with Origin opening, where the game is being updated/repaired, the last item before NiftyKnitting is the Sims 4 Deluxe. <-- Wondering  This is why I mention the 1st thing about the bundles.

Could this be an error around my Basic membership?

And btw, yesterday, Origin stopped trying to update/repair at the Deluxe... as in, Origin did NOT download Sims 4 Deluxe.

Message 3 of 10 (975 Views)

@cosmoblivion  Please clear Origin's cache:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

restart your computer, and try to download Nifty Knitting again.  If it doesn't work though, I really do need to see that error message.  You can take a screenshot and attach it to a post.

Message 4 of 10 (942 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

So Report it to EA. Thanks.

Message 5 of 10 (920 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Thanks again, puzzleaddict. Thumbs up

I am trying to add the photos with the error code and the one showing the download failed.....

even in small (10KB) size, this Answers HQ tool is stating they are too large?

Anyway, I followed the instructions for clearing the cache...No change to the situation.

I attempted downloading NiftyKnitting but it states that the file could be corrupted or the disk could be.

This is a gift code so I wonder if the code is corrupted? I would not want to ruin the rest of game, if that is possible!

I submitted an update to EA (they've not replied or confirmed receipt of the first that I originally submitted in July)...

I cannot decide, if I should wait them out or complain to the gift code giver lol! because I intended to buy

this pack anyway. But this is my birthday month & the gift is sweet since NiftyKnitting is one of the packs

I've most looked forward to in a while. Disappointed

Thanks for your try... Cool

The error report says:

"Origin was denied access to the following file or folder : H:Origin Games/The Sims 4/\."

"This may be due to security restrictions or disk corruption. Check the folder for permissions

or check your folder for errors before retrying the download."

The other pic was of Origin stating for each and every pack that the download failed.

I am going to look for the game folder and see if I can add permissions, if needed.

This PC is Windows 10 afterall and I have had plenty of issues with games with 1/2 of the many updates over the last couple of years!

x

Message 6 of 10 (891 Views)

@cosmoblivion  The code you received for Nifty Knitting isn't corrupted: either it works, and the pack gets added to your account, or it doesn't work, and Origin rejects the code outright, or (occasionally) the pack gets entirely removed from your account later.  But if you're allowed to at least try to download it, then you own the pack, and the code is fine.

The error does sound like a permissions issue, which can be caused by disk corruption or an overzealous antivirus/firewall, among other things.  Try running Origin as an admin—right-click on the Origin shortcut and select "Run as administrator"—if you haven't already.  And try temporarily disabling any antivirus/firewall you have running as well.

If you don't get anywhere with restoring permissions, you can try creating a new admin user account on your computer and downloading while in that account.  If that doesn't help either, there are other approaches you can try, but let me know what you've already done that hasn't worked.  And please also run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 7 of 10 (863 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Ahhh this sounds like going in a productive direction! Thank you....

I will try this today, once I get my work finished! StarStarStar

If this works, I will choose it as a solution. I may have to add some notes

for Windows 10 users, because your idea reminds me of another situation I had

with another game...& Windows 10 DOES have absurd security!

Thanks so much again.

Message 8 of 10 (839 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

YES!!!! Party hatParty hatParty hat

as simple as that.... crazy that I have to turn off my virus protection, my firewalls, and all the other many Windows 10 security paraphenalia...just to add DLC to an already downloaded game, "doncha think?" Large smile

But ...as if nothing was wrong ever, it finally downloaded NiftyKnitting!!!

I love you! Thank you so much! puzzleaddict. Wizard

Message 9 of 10 (802 Views)

@cosmoblivion  Yes, some antivirus programs can be weird like that, and Origin does things that those apps might want to flag.  Sometimes an antivirus gets updated to block a function that it didn't before, or block it in a different way; sometimes Origin adds a new functionality that it didn't have before, and the antivirus flags it.  It's often difficult to tell.

Anyway, I'm glad this got sorted out, and now you know what to test if you ever run into the same problem again.

Message 10 of 10 (777 Views)