Re: unrecognized video card sims 4

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I want to look into the issue, as long as you still is fine with helping me so much

I opened first:

Program files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game (also you wrote the word bin, after game? because to me it don`t  say bin after game but that might not be an issue

Then I remember I have the graphicscards.sgr on my desktop because of the help I got on the other post. I tried to open the file path where I found graphicscards.sgr: C:\  (seems like their misssing a file path and a place for it to be). I tried to copy it in to Program files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game, but I still can`t find it when I search in that folder? So is it impossible to move it to where it should belong: Program files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game

The nr is changed to 16 because I was advised to do that earlier on (the last question post), also should I change it to 17?

sims .jpg

Message 21 of 44 (395 Views)

@RunaAster  In that Game folder where you first looked, there should be a Bin folder too.  No matter where you install Sims 4, that's the structure of the program files.  If you really don't see it, please take a screenshot and post it here.  Don't copy any files to that folder, just look for the Bin folder and graphicscards.sgr inside it.  You can ignore the file on your desktop; editing it won't have any effect on the game.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 22 of 44 (383 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Yes thanks, I found the bin bolder but there`s no graphicscards.sgr inside the bin folder. When I search graphicscards.sgr in the bin folder, nothing comes up. Can I move it from another place in to the bin folder? 

Message 23 of 44 (373 Views)
Highlighted

@RunaAster  You could move it, yes, but that's not a good idea.  If the file isn't read properly, Sims 4 would probably not even launch, or if it did, it could crash at the Main Menu.

Try repairing the game in Origin: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Repair.  Then look for graphicscards.sgr again.

Message 24 of 44 (355 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

That worked, its now in the bin (:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin_LE ( the graphicscards.sgr is there)

Whats the next step? Trying to get back my old saves? Or copy sim 4 stuff from the old subfolder that was not working to the new elctronics art and sims 4 that the game can read.

Thanks again for helping.

Message 25 of 44 (329 Views)

[ Edited ]

@RunaAster  The file should be in Bin as well as Bin_LE.  Please check there too and make sure there's a copy there.

Now if you want to fix the unrecognized card issue, open the copy of graphicscards.sgr that's now inside the Bin folder.  Use crtl-F to find 5916, change it to 5917, save, and quit.  Then check the config.log file that's in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 to see if your card is now listed as found and supported.  This is the same approach I mentioned here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/PLEASE-READ-Unrecognized-Video-Card/m-p/8882426#M16953...

But don't move any files around while you're doing this, just open the ones mentioned.

You don't strictly need to complete this step if you don't want to.  When you're done with it, or have decided to skip it, then yes, you can move the contents of Saves and Tray from the old Sims 4 folder to the one that's now in Documents\Electronic Arts.  Your saves should be back, as should any builds or households you've saved to your in-game library.

It's a good idea to copy the files rather than dragging and dropping them: this way, you'll have a backup copy of everything if you need it.  You can highlight the whole set of files, right-click on them and select Copy, then right-click in the empty space where you want them and select Paste.

Message 26 of 44 (319 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Thank you so much for your help. I will update here after trying that and everything will proberly be working then. Only last issue I have is the bin folder. I can`t find the graphicscards.sgr there. Also can`t reach the file without going into orgin, then application setting and then installs & saves: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4. Its seems like you can`t see the stuff thats in the files when you click on that, but my Bin_LE folder is always in my files because it saved itself there for some reason. Did that make sense? I can`t find the correct bin one with the graphicscards.sgr, and I think I know why:

There`s plenty of more when I go further down. Seems like their one from everytime I played. I had the same issues with the config file earlier when you were helping me, I deleted some of them and then everyone except one was (config I`m talking about).  Should I do the same thing or?

bin.JPG

Message 27 of 44 (306 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@RunaAster 

The Bin folder is the one you are after. Just doubleclick it in the search results to open it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 28 of 44 (290 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Oh really I was unsure cuz I got told I have to find graphicscards.sgr in a own Bin folder also, but If I don`t . Then I just do the steps that was adviced and seee if my saves will be back. Thank you so much @puzzlezaddict @jpkarlsen 

Message 29 of 44 (288 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@RunaAster 

Sorry I was too quick in posting. it should be The Bin folder you are after is the one located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin

A lot of games and other programs use a bin folder. If I read it correct you decided to delete some of those you found. If so you will need to reinstall the affected games/programs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 30 of 44 (269 Views)