Re: how do I get my Sims 3 back on my computer.

by mynameissstamara

Original Post

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I managed to download sims 3 on windows 10 but the fps is slow, even though my computer should take it. I did a "can you run it" test and it said i could.
Message 1 of 12 (825 Views)

Accepted Solution

@mynameissstamara  Doing a clean install of Windows 8 (or 8.1) is not a cure-all, and without knowing what the other issues you're seeing are, I can't say how many of them would be addressed by installing Windows 8.  Sims 3 might run better, but it still won't run well—your hardware is going to be weak for the game no matter what.

I didn't mention it before, because I think the graphics chip is probably the limiting factor, but your 4 GB RAM may also be a source of some of the issues.  It's not really enough for Sims 4, and it may not be enough for the other tasks you're trying to do.  Normally, I'd suggest upgrading the memory to at least 8 GB, which is usually relatively cheap.  But whether it's worth it to you probably depends on how long you're planning on keeping this computer, and whether the issues you're seeing do seem to be at least partially caused by the system not having enough memory.

In case you're interested, this should work, but double-check the speed of the memory you already have installed:

https://www.amazon.com/Memory-Optiplex-Desktop-Mini-Tower-DDR2-6400/dp/B00978N6OS

This is a helpful article about issues with adding RAM to your particular computer:

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Probs-with-RAM-Upgrade-on-Optiplex-760-4-t...

If you do want to try Windows 8, definitely get the 64-bit version.  Even though your computer only has 4 GB memory, it's always better to have the capability to run 64-bit apps.  A 64-bit version of Windows can run 32-bit apps, but not vice versa.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 12 (734 Views)

All Replies

@mynameissstamara  There are plenty of reasons fps could be lower than expected, so a bit more information is necessary.  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also let me know what world(s) you're playing in, and test in Sunset Valley, if you haven't already.

Message 2 of 12 (811 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I have the sims 3 and:

1. Generations
  2. late night (through origin access)
  3. Seasons
  4. Ambitions
  5. University life
  6. High end loft stuff (through origin access)

I have attached the dxdiag, oh and i do not use mods at all. i only buy stuff from the sims 3 store with the simpoints

Message 3 of 12 (795 Views)

@mynameissstamara  The "can you run it" test only takes into account the unpatched base game, and the minimum requirements it references are so outdated as to be useless.  Seasons is the second-most demanding pack, after Pets, and your integrated graphics chip is really not built to handle the load being asked of it.  It's difficult to run the pack properly even on newer integrated graphics chips, or some low-end dedicated cards, although it can be done on lower settings.

Additionally, the driver you have installed for your graphics chip is for Windows 8.1, and while it appears to be working okay, it's not going to work as well with your OS as a driver written for Windows 10 would.  Unfortunately, there is no Windows 10 driver for the chip, so there isn't anything you can do on that front, I mean short of wiping the system and reinstalling Windows 8.1, which you likely don't want to do.

In terms of what you can do with this hardware, I'm not sure whether you'll be able to get decent fps with Seasons installed at all.  You can try setting all graphics options on low (water and high detail lots are the most demanding, but start with everything on low), and reducing the in-game resolution as well.  It would also help to disable rain and snow, as those require more resources to render than other kinds of weather.  Still, Seasons is going to be demanding no matter what you do.

Ambitions is a relatively mild pack, HELS and other stuff packs add very little to overhead, and Late Night is mostly gentle too, other than some routing issues having to do with Bridgeport.  (If you're seeing problems with Bridgeport routing and want to address them, look up fixed world files by EllaCharm3d.)  Generations is a little more demanding, and University Life more demanding than that, but still not on the level of Seasons.  So if you can't get decent fps with Seasons present, even on low settings, you can try disabling it in the launcher, and then disabling UL if removing Seasons alone doesn't help enough.  Again, be sure to test in Sunset Valley, so you have a baseline for performance.  Twinbrook is also a well-made world with few issues.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer, but given your hardware, performance is always going to be somewhat limited.

Message 4 of 12 (780 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddictThank you for replying with lots of info, so my computer does not really run properly anyways (or not as I would expect it to). I have the windows 8 pro product key, would that be better, after all I only use it for school work and playing the sims. And should I use the 32 or 64 bit version for the computer to properly work

Message 5 of 12 (752 Views)

@mynameissstamara  Doing a clean install of Windows 8 (or 8.1) is not a cure-all, and without knowing what the other issues you're seeing are, I can't say how many of them would be addressed by installing Windows 8.  Sims 3 might run better, but it still won't run well—your hardware is going to be weak for the game no matter what.

I didn't mention it before, because I think the graphics chip is probably the limiting factor, but your 4 GB RAM may also be a source of some of the issues.  It's not really enough for Sims 4, and it may not be enough for the other tasks you're trying to do.  Normally, I'd suggest upgrading the memory to at least 8 GB, which is usually relatively cheap.  But whether it's worth it to you probably depends on how long you're planning on keeping this computer, and whether the issues you're seeing do seem to be at least partially caused by the system not having enough memory.

In case you're interested, this should work, but double-check the speed of the memory you already have installed:

https://www.amazon.com/Memory-Optiplex-Desktop-Mini-Tower-DDR2-6400/dp/B00978N6OS

This is a helpful article about issues with adding RAM to your particular computer:

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Probs-with-RAM-Upgrade-on-Optiplex-760-4-t...

If you do want to try Windows 8, definitely get the 64-bit version.  Even though your computer only has 4 GB memory, it's always better to have the capability to run 64-bit apps.  A 64-bit version of Windows can run 32-bit apps, but not vice versa.

Message 6 of 12 (735 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict  Hello, I recently got a new computer and downloaded the sims 3 bu i still cannot get the setting to be effiecient enough. I attached a new DxDiag as well. 

Message 7 of 12 (587 Views)

@mynameissstamara  What issues are you having in your game right now?  Your computer may be new, but its hardware is quite weak for Sims 3, especially if you're playing with the most demanding expansion packs.  I wouldn't expect the integrated graphics chip to handle Pets, Seasons, Isla Paradiso, or Into the Future well at all, and maybe not some of the intermediate packs either.

Message 8 of 12 (550 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict The resolution is not complying with my normal computer screen and when i do use the settings, the game is laggy and for example, in create a sim I make a sim with a darker skin shade and in the gam during live mode the skin is much lighter.

Message 9 of 12 (540 Views)

@mynameissstamara  Some details look different in CAS than in live play, and I think darker tones are affected more than light ones.  It's also possible the skin tone isn't saving properly though.  What do you see if you take the existing sim, the one that's lighter-skinned than you'd want, back into CAS?  Bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "testingcheatsenabled true" without quotes, then shift-click on the sim and select "Edit in Create a Sim."

For the resolution issues, please go into Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 and delete options.ini.  This will reset all your in-game options, but hopefully you'll be able to reassign your preferred resolution this time.  If not, please let me know what you'd like to use, and what options you get instead.

Message 10 of 12 (516 Views)