Re: downloading to windows 10

by simIrrevirre

Original Post

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

This is a 3 year old post.

Is the only solution still that I’m forced to use Origin and the latest patch that messed up my game 2017?
Although I didn’t use Origin to play I still had it on my computer and got the same symptomes as others got, expansions that didn’t lode and suddenly where unchecked and then I also got ”service initialization failed (0x0175D824) error which made Sims 3 unplayable for 3 years.

Now I have a new 1 Tb ssd disk and windows 10 and hoped I would be able to play Sims 3 again.

Two of the expansions I have on discs I don’t own in Origin?.. why, I redeemed all games on the old Sims 3 community site. I spent a lot of money on The Sims 1, 2 and 3 through the years, for something I now can’t use anymore.

The most important question is: So if I have to download my games from Origin, and something happens with my hardware that forces me to reinstall windows can I reinstall my games? I've seen people say that If you have it on CD it won't be in the game liblary if you downloaded them once before.

Have you tweeked patch 1.69? People say they have to check the expansion boxes each time they play. To load Sims 3, which can take a long time, and then realise you missed to tick in the boxes and have to quit and reload is very frustrating. It should ”remember” what choise we made at least.

Message 1 of 6 (1,006 Views)

Accepted Solution

@simIrrevirre  Since the other  thread is three years old, as noted, I split your post into its own thread.

That's a lot to cover.  The easy things first:

• The service initialization failed message is most often related to mismatched or missing registry entries.
  • If you own the game in Origin, you can download it as many times as you want to as many computer as you want, without uninstalling.
  • Any pack that's showing as owned in your Origin library will stay there, whether you registered a disc code or bought directly from Origin.
  • Patch 1.69 still is what it is, and people like it about as much as they ever did.
  • When the launcher is forgetting checked packs, it often helps to clear the cache for Internet Explorer; this is where the data about checked packs is saved.

As for your content, you might be able to merge your old account, i.e. the one from the old Sims 3 site, with your current one.  Store content won't transfer over, but the packs you registered there should.  You could then download everything via Origin, no discs necessary, and again, there wouldn't be an issue if you had to redownload.  To request an account merge, you'll need to contact EA customer support.

https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

The other option is to install entirely via disc, if you own everything on disc and your base game disc was manufactured before September 2012; the later ones required Origin to manage the install.  That way, you'd stay on patch 1.67 with no pack selector and no need to use Origin when you play.

However, if you have a mix of discs and digally bought packs, it's best to install everything through Origin.  While Origin is supposed to manage a mixed install, it sometimes doesn't work the way it should, as you found out the last time around.  Missing packs in the launcher is one common result, although the packs getting unchecked isn't related.  Still, if you can't recover your old account and get it merged, you could try installing the packs that aren't in Origin and see how it goes.  Just be prepared to uninstall and start over if it doesn't work.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (995 Views)

All Replies

@simIrrevirre  Since the other  thread is three years old, as noted, I split your post into its own thread.

That's a lot to cover.  The easy things first:

• The service initialization failed message is most often related to mismatched or missing registry entries.
  • If you own the game in Origin, you can download it as many times as you want to as many computer as you want, without uninstalling.
  • Any pack that's showing as owned in your Origin library will stay there, whether you registered a disc code or bought directly from Origin.
  • Patch 1.69 still is what it is, and people like it about as much as they ever did.
  • When the launcher is forgetting checked packs, it often helps to clear the cache for Internet Explorer; this is where the data about checked packs is saved.

As for your content, you might be able to merge your old account, i.e. the one from the old Sims 3 site, with your current one.  Store content won't transfer over, but the packs you registered there should.  You could then download everything via Origin, no discs necessary, and again, there wouldn't be an issue if you had to redownload.  To request an account merge, you'll need to contact EA customer support.

https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

The other option is to install entirely via disc, if you own everything on disc and your base game disc was manufactured before September 2012; the later ones required Origin to manage the install.  That way, you'd stay on patch 1.67 with no pack selector and no need to use Origin when you play.

However, if you have a mix of discs and digally bought packs, it's best to install everything through Origin.  While Origin is supposed to manage a mixed install, it sometimes doesn't work the way it should, as you found out the last time around.  Missing packs in the launcher is one common result, although the packs getting unchecked isn't related.  Still, if you can't recover your old account and get it merged, you could try installing the packs that aren't in Origin and see how it goes.  Just be prepared to uninstall and start over if it doesn't work.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (996 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi, thanks for answering so quickly!

OK, so I have to install Internet explorer, windows 10 don't use it anymore as default. I can live with that though I never use it.

I would love to use my discs, I have no digital sims 3. I stayed out of buying Suprenaturals because I wanted to stay on 1.67. My base game is from 2009. But when I try to install Sims 3 nothing happens. If I click on the DVD player no files is showing and I get a message there is no disc in the DVD. I can run DVD films and any other DVD. So that is not the problem.

I first thought it was a Windows 10 problem, Microsoft support is also filled with this problem.

Message 3 of 6 (987 Views)

★★★ Novice

The expansions that I are "missing" are Pets and Showtime. I'm most certain I redeemed them, I think I got a rather ugly sofa Thinking

Message 4 of 6 (982 Views)

★★★ Novice

Sorry for my several small posts, can't find a edit button.

Pets and showtime is rather late expansions so must be with this account. I don't even remember if I had a different account when we had to leave the old community.

Message 5 of 6 (968 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for your help!

Everything is fine, all my packs are now downloaded, even those 2 that didn't show up as mine on Origin website. After installing Origin client they where there. Now I'm going to set up my game. All the packs I ticked in was unticked after restart. You can close this now.  Standard smile

Message 6 of 6 (914 Views)