Re: What computer is good for Playing The Sims 3

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

★ Novice

So I currently have a HP Pavilion. It was working ok at first but the load times have always been crazy long. The graphics on here aren't as good as they were on my acer. My acer seemed to run the game a whole lot faster and better but the issue with my acer is that it completely crashed on me out of no where and that seems to be a usual problem with Acers. What would be a good gaming laptop to get that would not be too expensive but would also run the game well? I'm also wanting to get into mod use so if you could recommend one that would run mods as well that would be super! Standard smile 

Message 1 of 9 (941 Views)

@atramm14  I've moved your post to its own thread, since the other thread was quite old.

Laptops that can run TS3 and all packs usually start around $900 U.S., although many laptops in that category wouldn't be able to handle the game.  I can usually find one on sale for under $800, but lower than that, you wouldn't get the kind of hardware TS3 would need.  Prices will be higher in other countries.

If you post your budget and country, as well as anything else you'd like this computer to do (like other games you want to play, or extra storage you'd need for other reasons), I can look around for you.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 9 (930 Views)

★ Novice

Awesome thanks! That really helps! I’ve heard that building a computer is cheaper and not so hard. Do you think building my own would be feasible or should I just buy one? 

Message 3 of 9 (898 Views)

@atramm14  Building a computer can be cheaper, depending on whether you catch the right sales.  But it also depends on the hardware you're looking for, and your price range.  Where it's almost always cheaper to build your own is if you want the higher-end components, like overclocked graphics cards and the very best solid state drives.  You can't get those in prebuilt models, and the custom build sites will charge a premium for an upgrade over stock parts.

Anyway, all this is theoretical until you let me know what you're looking for, and your budget.  I can find a few prebuilt models and then compare the total price to what you'd pay for the components.

And, just so you know, you wouldn't really be able to build your own laptop, nor would you want to.  The parts aren't really available separately, so the best you could do would be to upgrade the RAM and hard drive, and the latter would likely void the warranty.  Desktops are fairly straightforward to build, but it's best to have someone around who's already been through the process.  If you'd only save a little bit, you might be better off ordering a custom build that you can upgrade later, one part at a time.

Message 4 of 9 (892 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@atramm14   building your own desktop may not be "cheaper" but you usually get better value for your dollar. Some computer component stores will install the cpu and cpu cooler for you. There are computer stores online like cyberpowerpc that use off the shelf parts (rather then oem parts) that you would buy to build your own system and the prices are usually competitive. You are free to choose the parts from their list. When I say not cheaper you usually pick more expensive parts so you end up paying the same (or more) but you're getting more for value. The hardest part of building your own is knowing what to buy and how to install the cpu chip. A magazine called MaximumPC sometimes has an artivle about scatch building and sometimes building budget systems. Many timesmodu I know what I want but when I go there some parts are out of stock (back order) so you have to know how to pick alternate on the fly. Builders usually know (or guess good) what components work together and which ones don't. When you buy a motherboard the manufacturer usually has a list of what cpus are supported and which memory modules are certified to work (others may work but may not). If you have never built a computer I recommend having someone with experience help you. There is usually a neighborhood guru, you can check for an area computer club, and most small computer stores may help (free?). You may also look for used computers from someone who just upgraded to a new gaming rig but this could take a little knowledgeso you don't get too old of a computer.  hth

Message 5 of 9 (884 Views)

★ Novice
Would it being an older model matter if I’m playing sims 3 since the games been around for a while. I play it through origin btw, not through disk.
Message 6 of 9 (877 Views)

@atramm14  Older hardware can be fine in theory, as long as it's strong enough; after all, TS3 was released in 2009 and has been out of development for over five years.  But in practice, many components are not designed to last a long time.  Plus, you wouldn't know how well the hardware was maintained.  You might end up with a graphics card that's on its last legs, or a power supply that's about to fail... or a whole laptop that's been dropped on a concrete floor a couple of times.  Plus, older motherboards are often not compatible with newer components; you'd certainly need a new board for a new processor.  If you were thinking of upgrading the parts as you went along, you might end up having to replace half the computer at once.

Again though, all of this is theoretical until you've shared your budget (and country, and whether you still want a laptop).  If you'd rather not, I can give you a few examples of decent prebuilt computers, or a list of components you'll need to run TS3.  But there's really no point in speculating without more information.

Message 7 of 9 (873 Views)

★ Novice

As of right now I don’t be really have a set budget. I’m in school and only working part time so I’d have to save up for anything. I’m in the USA and I think I’d prefer a laptop over a desktop. I just found this laptop at my grandparents I might be able to use but I’m not sure if it’d be any good. I’m sorry, I’m not really good with understanding laptop specs and stuff. But here’s a pic of it. image.jpg

Message 8 of 9 (843 Views)
Highlighted

@atramm14  No, sorry, that computer wouldn't come close to the performance you're looking for.  It might run the base game, on low settings, but that would depend on how well it's been maintained.  Most expansion packs would be out of the question, as would higher graphics settings.

If you're looking for a laptop that can run all of TS3 on high settings, you'll need to be prepared to spend at least $900, although sometimes a sale will bring down the price a bit.  Whenever you're ready to start looking, let me know, and I can try to find something that works for you.

Message 9 of 9 (840 Views)