Re: Unable to install SIms 4

by OldLrod

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I am also having this issue. I have the game bought and downloaded through Steam. When I press "Play" in Steam, it throws the Origin Splash Screen with the Sims 4 at the front and pops an error message "The game The Sims™ 4 Digital Deluxe does not appear to be installed. Please install it or try relaunching the game." I can find the game files in my Steam Folder but, Origin Can't Find the Game.

Help with this would be appreciated!

Note:

I've Tried uninstalling the Game from Steam, Changing where Origin Stores file to try and Get in to look where at the game files in the Steam Folder, I've tried downloading it from Origin (Which just prompts Steam to DL the Game), I've also tried clearing Origin's cache via deleting all but the Local files. Short of putting it on my C;/ Drive (Which I can't make enough space for it to fit) I think I've tried every suggestion I could Find.

(CM: Edited to link older thread referred to in opening post)

Message 1 of 5 (1,285 Views)

Accepted Solution

@OldLrod  What happens if you click Download in your screenshot, with Sims 4 already installed?  If the game starts downloading and you don't want that, you can always cancel it, but it's possible that Origin will actually the installed files and simply verify them.  (This happens in other situations that don't involve Steam.)

If that doesn't help, try doing a clean uninstall of Origin:

• Quit Origin, then right-click on the Task Bar and open the Task Manager.  Scroll through looking for Origin entries.  If you find any, click on them and End Task.
  • Clear Origin's cache.
  • Download Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine) from here.
  • Launch Revo, select Origin from the list, and click Uninstall.
  • When it finishes uninstalling, select "Moderate" under "scanning modes," and click Scan.
  • If Revo finds any remaining registry entries, select all, delete, and click Next.
  • Revo will display "Remaining Data and Folders."  Select all of them except for the "Origin Games" folder, if it appears.  (This is where Sims 4 and other Origin games are installed by default.)  Delete the rest.
  • Close Revo, and restart your computer.

Next, download the full Origin installer and run it.  Here's the direct download link:

http://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe

Be sure to run both the installer and Origin itself as an admin: right-click on each and select "Run as Administrator."

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (1,207 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@OldLrod  If you open your Origin game library and right-click the Sims 4 icon, what options do you get?  Please post a screenshot.

Please also try running Origin as an admin (right-click the Origin shortcut and select "Run as administrator") before you launch Sims 4.  If that doesn't help, let me know what antivirus program you use, and please also attach a dxdiag to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 2 of 5 (1,247 Views)

★★ Novice

Sims 4 Issue image 1.png

This what happens when I right click the Game in Origin. I ran it as Admin when I took this image. Norton 360 is the Antivirus. Hope the file can help you figure it out, I'm at a loss.  Thanks for responding as well! @puzzlezaddict 

Message 3 of 5 (1,223 Views)

@OldLrod  What happens if you click Download in your screenshot, with Sims 4 already installed?  If the game starts downloading and you don't want that, you can always cancel it, but it's possible that Origin will actually the installed files and simply verify them.  (This happens in other situations that don't involve Steam.)

If that doesn't help, try doing a clean uninstall of Origin:

• Quit Origin, then right-click on the Task Bar and open the Task Manager.  Scroll through looking for Origin entries.  If you find any, click on them and End Task.
  • Clear Origin's cache.
  • Download Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine) from here.
  • Launch Revo, select Origin from the list, and click Uninstall.
  • When it finishes uninstalling, select "Moderate" under "scanning modes," and click Scan.
  • If Revo finds any remaining registry entries, select all, delete, and click Next.
  • Revo will display "Remaining Data and Folders."  Select all of them except for the "Origin Games" folder, if it appears.  (This is where Sims 4 and other Origin games are installed by default.)  Delete the rest.
  • Close Revo, and restart your computer.

Next, download the full Origin installer and run it.  Here's the direct download link:

http://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe

Be sure to run both the installer and Origin itself as an admin: right-click on each and select "Run as Administrator."

Message 4 of 5 (1,208 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddictIf I clicked "Download" it would tell me that I need to install the game first, which is weird considering you'd have to download it first before you could install the game.

After all this, the Registry trick Worked and a fresh install of Origin with the link you provided seemed to do the trick. I did some digging around in Steam's file to see what Origin it had installed and it had "Origin Thin" as it's setup.exe. Either way, thanks for the help and I hope that other people use this to help them!

Message 5 of 5 (1,185 Views)