Re: Sims 4 stuck on Verifying Game Files

by mahamari

Original Post

@mahamari  What does Steam say about Sims 4?  When you've installed through Steam, you do need to launch the game through Steam, or at least that's how things normally work.

Did you happen to activate your antivirus again?  It's possible that that's the problem: the AV quarantined the game .exe (again), which made it look to Origin like Sims 4 wasn't installed at all.

If the AV is the issue, you might need to dig further into the settings to find what's interfering.  I don't know much about how Webroot works, but it looks like there's plenty of documentation online.  If you get stuck sorting through the settings, let me know, and I'll do some digging.  But the first step is to find out whether the AV did in fact quarantine TS4_x64.exe.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 11 of 28 (553 Views)

★ Apprentice

I have to launch Sims 4 from Steam, but Steam then launches Origin to run the game. I did turn my antivirus back on, so that could be it. Thanks for the tip - I’ll have to take a look. I’ll check back in if I can’t find a way to get things to work - thank you again for everything!

Message 12 of 28 (540 Views)

★★ Novice

I have the same problem, with origin, i cleared cache, moved folders, stopped firewall and security, uninstalled origin, uninstalled sims 4, and rest of games, put it back on..and NO, it verifys all the other packs n kits but NOT the base game, and if it cant verify it cant update its origin, not our games, it was working perfectly untill i clicked on the new update

i even took out my mods folder

Message 13 of 28 (464 Views)

★★ Novice

please tell me how to physically do this

For your antivirus, you'll need to add TS4_x64.exe as an exception as well: that's the .exe that runs the standard (as in, not Legacy Edition) version of the game.

Message 14 of 28 (461 Views)

@takart  The exact instructions will depend on what antivirus you use, and that program should have documentation on the product website.  You need to add TS4_x64.exe as an exception, perhaps in multiple places (refer to the documentation), and it's a good idea to add Origin.exe as well.

If this doesn't help, let me know what antivirus you use, what you're trying to do (install, update, repair), and exactly what happens when you do that.

Message 15 of 28 (450 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi, again,

I wanted to post an update on my game situation, since it's been about a month - I'm able to run the game reliably again (from Steam instead of Origin), but Origin always goes through the lengthy verification process for Sims 4 (and all the DLC). I'm not sure if there's any way to avoid this, but at least it runs. Standard smile Is it normal for the game to have to verify files every single time? I've already done the whole clearing Origin cache and uninstalling and reinstalling Origin a few times previously, so I don't know if repeating that process will help, but I think that was usually the fix recommended?

Thanks again for all your help.

Message 16 of 28 (368 Views)

@mahamari  No, this is not normal, and when clearing Origin's cache doesn't help, it usually points to either an antivirus being overly aggressive or a cleaner app deleting essential files.  So I'd double-check your antivirus settings: make sure there isn't some other category of protection where you'd need to add exclusions for Sims 4 and Origin (even though you use Steam), or try removing the exceptions and adding them back.

Message 17 of 28 (351 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thanks, @puzzlezaddict. I'll try redoing the exceptions.

Message 18 of 28 (282 Views)

★ Apprentice

Unfortunately, redoing the exceptions hasn't seemed to fix it. I just redid the exceptions, and it's still reverifying everything again.

Message 19 of 28 (272 Views)

★★★ Novice

This is happening to me too!! Every time I open Origin it "re-verifies" all my files AND it won't download The High School Years expansion. I have been going back and forth with support for a week and they haven't told me anything helpful. Just told me things I already tried, like all of the things in this thread...

Message 20 of 28 (256 Views)