Re: Sims 4 stuck on Verifying Game Files

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

★ Apprentice

Hi - hoping to get some insight into this, since I started having the OP’s issue for the first time after a Sims 4 update a couple days ago. I followed all the suggested steps I found in the forums (I allowed the TS4 and Origin exes in my antivirus, I cleared Origin’s cache, I moved the Sims4 folder out and had the game make a fresh one, etc. Doing all of that weirdly didn’t work the first two times, but somehow on the third try, Origin acted like Sims 4 was never installed (blatantly untrue), but I clicked Install, and after that, the game worked…but just once. Today, it’s back to the same thing. Every time I try to run Sims 4, it reverifies every file (which takes forever because I’ve collected most of the DLC), and then it won’t run. I cleared out the Origin cache again and restarted the computer, but no luck. It’s back to verifying game files forever. Any idea how I can fix this for good? The game was running just fine until the recent update. No CC/mods, by the way - I only have the official content installed.

If it matters at all, I bought some of the content on Steam and some directly on Origin, and I think my original base game was a physical copy. I don’t know if that causes any difficulties.

Thanks for your time and help!

Message 1 of 28 (1,600 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@mahamari  For your antivirus, you'll need to add TS4_x64.exe as an exception as well: that's the .exe that runs the standard (as in, not Legacy Edition) version of the game.

Try uninstalling Sims 4 and installing it into a new folder, specifically one you make yourself right now.  Please do so with the antivirus still disabled; you can reenable it after you've tested the game.  If you don't have the option to uninstall within Origin, you can do so with Revo Uninstaller:

• Put aside your Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts and rename it to something that doesn't include the words "Sims 4."
  • Download Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine) from here.
  • Launch Revo, select Sims 4 from the list, and click Uninstall.
  • Once the game is uninstalled, select "Moderate" under "scanning modes," and click Scan.
  • Review the list, in case there's something you want to save; otherwise, click Select All, and then Delete.
  • Close Revo, and restart your computer.
——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 5 of 28 (1,520 Views)

All Replies

@mahamari  I've split your post into its own thread since the other thread was somewhat old.

First, please disable automatic game updates in Origin.  The option is under Application Settings > Application > Client update.

If this doesn't help, clear Origin's cache:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

You'll need to reapply your Origin settings, including the one above, afterwards.

If this doesn't help either, let me know what antivirus you use, if any.

Message 2 of 28 (1,585 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thanks very much, @puzzlezaddict . I appreciate it.

Quick update, in case the information is helpful at all: yesterday, before your reply, I tried to uninstall Origin "the hard way," restarted my computer, and reinstalled it. When I logged back in, all my games ran repairs, and afterward, most of the games were back to playable status, but Sims 4 had a "Download" button instead of "Play." I clicked "Download," and it asked me for language and location for the download, and I did all that, and the button eventually became an "Install" button. I clicked that, and it said it was "finalizing" (0h 0m 0s, though it took a while), but afterward, the "Install" button never became a "Play" button and had the same behavior (causing the game to "finalize" but not launch).

Anyway, I read your reply after that (thanks for your help!), and I tried disabling automatic game updates in Origin, and there was no change, so I cleared Origin's cache again, and when I logged back in, and Sims 4 said "repair in queue." I disabled automatic game updates in Origin again. When the repair came up, I was asked to choose my language again, but not game location, and after that, it started redownloading the game again (The Sims 4 Digital Deluxe). Afterward, as after the Origin reinstall, the "Download" button became an "Install" button, and I clicked that. Origin said the game was "finalizing" again, and I waited until that message disappeared, but it continues to say "Install" instead of "Play," and every time I click "Install," it finalizes for a while but never runs.

I use Webroot for antivirus, and I currently have the Origin.exe in the Origin folder, TS4.exe in the Bin folder, and the TS4.exe in the Bin LE folder all on the allowed files and allowed scripts lists.

Thanks again for all your time and help!

Message 3 of 28 (1,559 Views)

★ Apprentice

One more thing - I’ve tried running Origin/Steam/Sims4 with my antivirus temporarily disabled, and also no change.

Message 4 of 28 (1,531 Views)

[ Edited ]

@mahamari  For your antivirus, you'll need to add TS4_x64.exe as an exception as well: that's the .exe that runs the standard (as in, not Legacy Edition) version of the game.

Try uninstalling Sims 4 and installing it into a new folder, specifically one you make yourself right now.  Please do so with the antivirus still disabled; you can reenable it after you've tested the game.  If you don't have the option to uninstall within Origin, you can do so with Revo Uninstaller:

• Put aside your Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts and rename it to something that doesn't include the words "Sims 4."
  • Download Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine) from here.
  • Launch Revo, select Sims 4 from the list, and click Uninstall.
  • Once the game is uninstalled, select "Moderate" under "scanning modes," and click Scan.
  • Review the list, in case there's something you want to save; otherwise, click Select All, and then Delete.
  • Close Revo, and restart your computer.

Message 5 of 28 (1,521 Views)

★ Apprentice

Oops, yes, I meant also the TS4_x64.exe in the Bin folder. Sorry about that.

I'll give your other uninstall/reinstall in new folder a try and update once I'm done - thanks!

Message 6 of 28 (1,497 Views)

★ Apprentice

I uninstalled on Steam, uninstalled with Revo, and then reinstalled in the new folder (antivirus off). The game worked after that at first (yay!), so I copied in my saves folder (just the saves, nothing else from the Sims 4 backup folder) and tried to load the game. The game still ran (yay), but it gave me the warning that I didn’t have all the DLC needed (maybe because I bought some of the DLC on Origin and some on Steam? I didn’t have a problem before, though…), so I exited and made sure the DLC had downloaded, etc., and the game was set to the right folder. Everything looked okay, but the Origin “Play” button had changed to “Install,” and it’s now back to my original problem of Origin acting like the game hasn’t been installed, and clicking Install does nothing (it is stuck on “finalizing”). My antivirus has been off this entire time.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for all your help. I’m completely lost on what’s wrong with my game and really appreciate the advice.

Message 7 of 28 (1,486 Views)

★ Apprentice

Sorry for the double post - I decided to experiment and re-verify the game files on Steam, and after I did that, I was able to run the game from Steam, even though Origin thinks I haven’t installed it. This didn’t work before, but maybe I just needed to re-verify the game files on Steam?

Anyway, it’s working for now, so I’m happy! :] I’m not sure if this will be a one-time success like the last time I got it to work, but I’ll post here again if the problem comes back.

Thanks again for all your time and help with troubleshooting this, @puzzlezaddict! Can’t tell you how much I appreciate you doing this for folks.

Message 8 of 28 (1,485 Views)

@mahamari  I'm glad to hear this worked.  For the missing packs, in case you haven't fixed that issue yet, anything you've bought through Origin needs to be installed through Origin, but you don't need to click Install on the base game.  You should be able to just install the packs themselves from their list.  If Sims 4 is listed twice in your game library, check both entries' pack lists for Download buttons.

Message 9 of 28 (1,475 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thanks for the tip. @puzzlezaddict - I'll have to check that next time, if it's an issue. Standard smile

I have a bit of bad news, though. I played a bit of Sims 4 earlier when it was working, then shut down the computer to take care of some things, and when I turned the computer back on to resume Sims 4, the original problem had returned. It again says that Origin hasn't installed Sims 4, so I can't play it, and it's redownloading the game again, same as when I first posted my issue.

Any idea if there's something I can do to keep it from coming back?

Thanks again!

Message 10 of 28 (1,464 Views)