Re: Sims 4 causes my computer to restart

by RavenAngel888

Original Post

★ Apprentice

Hi,

I am having a similar issue. Please see DxDiag, DISM and the cmd DISM error. I did the scannow thing but can't attach it with these now, will reply to this post with it attached

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 1 of 9 (553 Views)

★ Apprentice

OK so I can't attach the CBS file as it is larger than the log can handle. so here is a dropbox link to the file:

CBS Log

Message 2 of 9 (552 Views)

@RavenAngel888  I've split your posts into their own thread, since this makes it easier to keep track of errors, and what steps have or haven't worked.

First off, the reason DISM didn't work is that you left out the spaces in the command.  If it's easier, you can just copy (crtl-C) and paste (crtl-V) the command directly into the Command Prompt or PowerShell window.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

The same applies to sfc, if you got a similar error:

sfc /scannow

Secondly, when you say you're having a similar problem, can you be more precise?  Does the game itself crash but leave your computer running, does the game crash and your computer restart, or does the game crash and your computer shut down?  Have you seen a BlueScreen at any point?  These are all different issues, with distinct causes, so it's important to know exactly what's happening.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 9 (541 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi. Thanks for moving it. I'm not on my PC right now (I got frustrated with all the rebooting and shut down) but I'll try the clean-up image thing when I'm on tomorrow morning. Scannow worked, it just found errors it couldn't fix (I added a dropbox link to the file in my 2nd reply on the previous post).

My game is causing my PC to restart. I'll be in the middle of doing something (CAS, build/buy, live mode) when my PC will switch off without warning. It proceeds to restart within a few seconds of the switch off. I'm worried it might be the PSU which is why I was hoping my logs would shed some light. I'm not familiar with all the technical stuff in the log files. However, it does seem to only be TS4 that is doing it. I was on for a few hours prior to the first reboot, listening to music, surfing the News24 site and playing solitaire, sudoku and mahjong. It only reboot about 20 min into CAS. And then again, and again, and again, and eventually I got annoyed with the random rebooting so with the next one I just didn't go back into TS4 and started Googling for solutions instead.

Message 4 of 9 (533 Views)

[ Edited ]

@RavenAngel888  You may well be right about the PSU; that's why I was asking whether you had a shutdown or restart, and if you saw a BSOD.  It's always worth running DISM, and please run sfc again afterwards, as DISM may fix the issues that sfc reported.  (Those corrupt files might be successfully repaired this time around.)  If not, seeing the new CBS log will be useful.

If that doesn't help with the shutdowns though, the next step is hardware monitoring.  You can download hwinfo from here:

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

You don't even need to install it, if you don't want to; just download the portable version and launch it directly from your Downloads folder.  (If you do want to install, be sure to click the green button, not the orange one.)  Restart your computer, open hwinfo, and click the icon with a sheet of paper and a + sign to start logging.  (Take note of where the file is being saved.)  Wait five minutes, then open Origin and TS4, and play until it crashes.  Then you can upload the .csv file, and I'll look it over.

And take your time with this; there's no reason to rush, or to keep trying when you'd rather be doing something else.  I'll be around whenever you're ready to test.

Message 5 of 9 (518 Views)

★ Apprentice

Well, I've been on my PC listening to music, surfing the web and some other less intensive things without a reboot for a few hours. Looks like it is TS4 doing it. I'm running the sfc scan at the moment (I got DISM to run after using the spaces thanks lol) I'll upload the log asap.

I'm also downloading that hardware monitor just in case. Will it still create a log if there is no BSoD? Because I even tried to disable the auto-reboot to force a BSoD to happen when it reboots but that didn't work. It still just reboots to black.

Message 6 of 9 (487 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Nope, still have errors :-(

CBS Log 15.09.2019

The hardware monitor... Can't read this tech jargon either lol

Message 7 of 9 (484 Views)

[ Edited ]

@RavenAngel888  There's a big difference between the power drawn while you're doing light tasks and what the computer (particularly the CPU and GPU) will draw while you're playing a game like TS4.  So if your PSU is now insufficient or unreliable, you might well only see the crashes while playing, at least in the beginning.

That's where hardware monitoring comes in though—among many other things, it reports on how the power supply is performing in real time.  All of the monitoring is recorded as you go along, so even a hard shutdown or restart shouldn't prevent the data from being saved, at least up to the point when the system crashes.

A BSOD is a Windows creation, specifically Windows deciding to shut itself down.  If Windows isn't causing a shutdown or restart, and it sounds like it's not in your case, then there is no BSOD, and disabling auto-reboot won't have any effect.

Edit:  Thanks for the log; I'll take a look a bit later.  Please let me know when you've done the hardware monitoring as well.

Message 8 of 9 (478 Views)

★ Apprentice

I'll attach the TS4 hardware monitor a bit later. The one above was more for a baseline :-)

Message 9 of 9 (473 Views)