Re: Origin won't launch Sims 3

by Adoringly

Original Post

★★★★ Novice

I did this and it won't work for me, still the same thing. really frustrating. Frown

Message 1 of 11 (759 Views)

@Adoringly  Can you please describe exactly what happens for you when you try to launch Sims 3, including any errors you get?  There are a number of reasons the game might not open, or why it would crash at one stage of launch or another, and the troubleshooting approach should be adjusted accordingly.  A dxdiag would also be helpful.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 11 (756 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Well I just reinstalled sims 3 after a while, I have no issues loading up sims 4 or 2. My computers GPU and system itself it up to date minus an older BIOS but I can't afford a new mobo right now and I've played sims 3 on this. So I open origin, i click to play sims 3, it minimizes origin like it's going to load the sims 3 client and then origin pops back up and it says I'm playing sims 3 but nothing shows up. I've tried running origin as admin and nothing, I don't have any virus protector other than malwarebytes which there is an exception for the sims 3 in it just in case. I've also tried going into program files x86 in there and running sims 3 from sims3.exe and the other one, both as admin and without. I've attached the dxdiag file. 

Message 3 of 11 (752 Views)

@Adoringly  I've split your posts into their own thread—your dxdiag has a few errors that the original poster did not, plus it's easier to troubleshoot one on one.

First of all, if you're trying to run Sims 3 with any compatibility settings, please undo those.  The game works just fine in Windows 10.  Please also make sure that the Malwarebytes exceptions are set specifically for Origin.exe, TS3.exe, and Sims3Launcher.exe.  There are a number of different executables in Sims 3's program files, but those are the two that matter in an Origin install.

Please also remove your Sims 3 game folder from Documents\Electronic Arts, if you have one.  You can always add your content back later, if you have any you'd like to keep.

Please also check whether .NET Framework 3.5 is enabled.  What you've described is exactly when the game would stop working if it weren't installed, and it's always possible you're not getting a prompt to install it.

Hit Windows key-R and enter "appwiz.cpl" without quotes.  In the File Explorer window that opens, click on "Turn Windows features on and off."  You should see something like this, with both .NET frameworks enabled (in the first red box):

Windows features (+.NET).png

While you're testing, be sure to always run Origin as an administrator, and keep deleting any new Sims 3 game folders you get.  The new ones won't have any content, so there's no harm in trashing them.

If none of this helps, please run a new dxdiag and attach it—I want to see the new errors.

Message 4 of 11 (731 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I don't believe I'm running sims 3 with any compatibility settings. (don't even know how to check for that). And, malwarebytes and exclusions for those exact files. there is no sims 3 folder under documents\Electronic Arts. all the /net frameworks and the media features are enabled. and it still doesn't wanna play the game ahhaa. 

Message 5 of 11 (723 Views)

@Adoringly  Please run the .NET Framework repair tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

It should run fine in Windows 10, but if you get any errors, please post them here.

Message 6 of 11 (706 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I did that, and ran dxdiag again because it still didn't work, I'm not getting any error codes it just doesn't wanna open.

Message 7 of 11 (690 Views)

@Adoringly  The next step is to run a couple of commands to check Windows system files.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

It might be a good idea for you to update to the latest Windows build (1903), but the above commands should be run either way.  And if you do update, be sure to back up your files, as always.

Message 8 of 11 (683 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Only issue is since my BIOS is too out of date I cannot update to the win 1903 update, I havent done those steps yet but I will shortly. Just wonder if this will help. 

Message 9 of 11 (678 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Update, did both of those there was no error message and after the sfc /scannow there was absolutely no message at all.

Message 10 of 11 (671 Views)