Re: Error during startup?

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

★ Novice

I had to uninstall manually everything I had on the Sims 3, something went wrong last week, no idea what or how. Trying to reinstall and the Pets expansion won't work, when I try and download from Origin instead, I get the launcher problem. I have lost all of my Sims and play time, now I cannot get it to work. Is there any solution to this? Pets expansion tells me there are data errors (cyclic redundancy check) and downloading from Origin just won't work because of the launch pad error. I am getting very frustrated and fed up. A lot of time and money has gone into this, I only want to play my game. Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4 (385 Views)
Highlighted

@QLSIM  I've split your post into its own thread, since the other thread was quite old.

There are a few causes for the error during startup and cyclic redundancy check errors, but the most common one is leftover registry entries from a previous install.  Please uninstall the game again, and then clean the registry either manually or with a tool like Piriform's CCleaner.

Going forward, you'll need to chose either a disc or digital install for each pack so you don't get double entries.  If you're going to let Origin control your install, or if you don't have a choice in the matter, it's better to just install the base game and all the packs through Origin.  That way you won't have to deal with patching or with discs that may or may not work.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (374 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks for the reply. I thought I had cleaned it up manually but will do it all again and then do a registry cleaner. One set of disks do not work at all, error in the disks I was told, so the Worlds Bundle is only on Origin, but I prefer discs where I can do it. So was considering putting them on, after the registry clean, with no internet access and see how far I can get. Some of the disks will not work on Origin as some are second hand but were working fine before the recent errors, which only happened after the latest update from Origin for the game. Will give it a go and let you know how I go. I will also clean my disks before starting to install them again, just in case.

Message 3 of 4 (336 Views)

@QLSIM  It would not be surprising if secondhand discs suddenly stopped working after an Origin update.  This happens often, and it's not always clear why.  Sometimes reinstalling from disc and allowing Origin to control the install later (as in, the same process you used to install before) will fix the problem, but sometimes the packs installed via disc never work again.

It sounds like an all-disc install is worth trying.  The worlds need to be downloaded from the Sims 3 Store, not Origin, and they'll work with any kind of install as long as the worlds themselves are registered to your store account.  (This should be the same as your Origin account, but you don't need to install the game via Origin to access the store.  My worlds work just fine with my Steam install.)  If you'd like help doing an all-disc install, let me know.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (330 Views)