Re: Error- Unable to start due to missing game data.

by cvang15

Original Post

Accepted Solution

★ Novice

I'm having this problem now too but now on the EA app for PC. Every time I try to start the game I get an error that says to download the Legacy Edition. When I try to repair (with and without mods), it gives an error and tells me to try again or restart the app (neither works). Not sure why it's been doing this lately. The first time this happened, I somehow fixed it... now nothing works.

Message 1 of 4 (465 Views)

Accepted Solution

@cvang15  What antivirus do you use?  It's possible the program is flagging and quarantining TS4_x64.exe, which runs the standard version of Sims 4.  When this .exe isn't present or can't run on the device, the game launcher (Origin or the EA App) tries to run the Legacy Edition instead, and if the LE isn't installed, it throws the error you're seeing.

The usual fix is repairing the game, which restores the .exe.  But that's only a temporary solution because the antivirus can just quarantine it again.  So please repair and then set an exception for TS4_x64.exe, and if that doesn't help, let me know what antivirus you use in case there are additional relevant settings.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (429 Views)

All Replies

@cvang15  What antivirus do you use?  It's possible the program is flagging and quarantining TS4_x64.exe, which runs the standard version of Sims 4.  When this .exe isn't present or can't run on the device, the game launcher (Origin or the EA App) tries to run the Legacy Edition instead, and if the LE isn't installed, it throws the error you're seeing.

The usual fix is repairing the game, which restores the .exe.  But that's only a temporary solution because the antivirus can just quarantine it again.  So please repair and then set an exception for TS4_x64.exe, and if that doesn't help, let me know what antivirus you use in case there are additional relevant settings.

Message 2 of 4 (430 Views)

★ Novice

I use AVG. But I've already set exceptions and allowed apps. This only fixed it temporarily and now the game is having the same issue again.

Message 3 of 4 (360 Views)

@cvang15  Is AVG taking any actions that relate to Sims 4?  If you open the app, you should be able to find a list of recent actions or threats.

Message 4 of 4 (336 Views)