Re: No access to gallery sims 4 legacy

by ieta_cassiopeia

Original Post

Re: Downloaded Sims 4 University but the game won't load

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@gaefeverdreamIf you have a Metal version of the Mac (which, if your OS is El Capitan or later, it will be), I recommend you do the following:

1) Put all your mods, and your hood situation, into a different place on your hard drive.
2) Load Origin.
3) Then, please click on My Library.
4) Please right-click on the Sims 4 game and select "Game Properties".
5) Click on "Advanced Launch Options", please.
6) There is, generally, a drop-down menu called "When launching this game...". Due to the age of your computer, I would expect there to be two options: "The Sims 4 64-bit" and "The Sims 4 32-bit Legacy Edition". Please ensure "The Sims 4 64-bit" is selected. (You will have both, so if you get a slow Mac laptop or something in the future, you can have Legacy edition on that and the 64-bit version on your current computer at the same time).

7) Put your mods and hood situation back into the game.

8) Happy playing of your restored game! (Note that University will be automatically applied, if you bought it).

Due to your situation*, there is zero benefit to being on Sims 4 Legacy Edition - as you are getting at in your message, it's designed for people with older systems than yours.

The problem is that I think some people's games auto-switched to Legacy without telling them (or only telling them briefly), due to erroneous or (in the case of some PC gamers) pessimistic interpretations of system results. I think EA went cautious with the spec detection - I have a 64-bit PC but due to only having 2 GB RAM, it advised me to use Legacy. I refused and it runs University without stability issues (though it won't break any speed records - I can see why the 4 GB advertised minimum exists). It sounds like yours was one of the systems that was "auto-downgraded" or "semi-auto-downgraded", and this is why this problem has occurred. I would advise anyone having problems with University not appearing for them to check whether they are on the 64-bit version of Sims 4 they expected to be.

* - If you are a power user and for some reason downgraded your OS to a pre-El Capitan one, please ignore this part of my message. In the unlikely event anyone reading this did so, please re-upgrade, then follow the instructions provided above, before attempting to play 64-bit Sims 4.

Message 1 of 3 (503 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@hales82@catcatsimmer04  To swap between Legacy and 64-bit (assuming your computer can run both - in theory, anything from El Capitan onwards is a sufficient Mac OS for the job, but see @Bluebellflora 's post), please do the following:

1) Put all your mods, and your hood situation, into a different place on your hard drive.
2) Load Origin.
3) Then, please click on My Library.
4) Please right-click on the Sims 4 game and select "Game Properties".
5) Click on "Advanced Launch Options", please.
6) There is, generally, a drop-down menu called "When launching this game...". If your computer is Sims 4 64-bit capable, I would expect there to be two options: "The Sims 4 64-bit" and "The Sims 4 32-bit Legacy Edition". Please ensure "The Sims 4 64-bit" is selected. (You don't so much "get rid of" Legacy as "swap between them". Legacy will still be available in your account, if for any reason you obtain a computer that cannot run 64-bit).
7) Put your mods and hood situation back into the game.
8) Load your game and check you have regained access to the gallery. If not, please return to this thread.

Message 2 of 3 (493 Views)

@ieta_cassiopeia

I've moved your posts to the PC forum as your instructions are only relevant to Windows users. The Mac version of the game, and the Legacy Edition for Mac, are 64-bit and always has been. The option you are referring to is not provided in Origin for Mac.

A Mac running El Capitan does not necessarily mean it supports Metal.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 3 (457 Views)