Re: Computer restarts while playing Sims 4

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

★★★ Novice

any chance you can look at mine?  I would greatly appreciate you.  It just started after the latest update September 2020.  Not sure what to do but it is driving me nuts that it lets me play for a few mins and then my computer restarts.....  

Message 1 of 3 (254 Views)

@tmelans  I've split your post into its own thread, since it's usually easier to troubleshoot one on one.

When a computer is restarting, the issue is usually hardware related.  So it would help to do some hardware monitoring, to see how the various components are performing.  First though, please run a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files, to address other errors in your dxdiag.  These issues are unlikely to be related, but it's still good to clean them up.

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates.

Restart again once all the updates have run.  For the hardware monitoring, download hwinfo from here:

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

You don't need to install anything if you don't want to; just choose the Portable version, unzip it, and launch it from Downloads or wherever you want.  (If you would like to install, be sure to click the green button, not the orange one.)  Restart your computer, and don't open any other apps.  Launch hwinfo, choose "sensors only," and click the icon that's a sheet of paper with a + sign to start logging.  Save the file to your desktop for easy access later.

Wait five minutes, then launch Sims 4 and play until you get a restart.  The log should be intact up until the restart, but please let me know how long (within a minute or so) hwinfo ran before the computer restarted.  You can upload the log to a third-party free filehosting site and link it here.  Please leave it in .csv format, or if you use OneDrive to share, please compress it in .zip format instead.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (248 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you for responding.  I updated windows last night and all this morning.  It took forever.  I am able to get back on my computer now.  So I will load The Sims 4 and play and see how long I can play.  Crossing my fingers it let's me play a while or does not restart at all!

If it does restart - then I will go about the hardware monitoring and proceed.  I'll let you know either way.  

Again, thank you very much for responding.  I appreciate you!

Message 3 of 3 (223 Views)