Re: Can't install custom content on Sims 3 + Late Night

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

★★★ Newbie

In my case, I want to install some lots but they don't appear in the game and there is nothing in "Installed Content" of the launcher. I deleted what you deleted (cache files) but when I install the lot again it still says "There are no packages to install. Done!" and when I open the Edit Town the lot still doesn't appear. Is there any other solution Wondering?

Message 1 of 3 (429 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

@archilea10  I split your comment into its own thread because the previous thread was five years old and obviously didn't help you.

Just checking, but are the lots unzipped and in Sims3Pack form?  The launcher can't read zip files, nor can it install .package files.  The former need to be unzipped; the latter probably go in Library, if they're lots and not just custom content.

Some Sims3Packs are corrupt and won't install correctly, and others won't install properly unless you have associated content installed already.  If you're downloading from the Exchange, the product pages should list the packs used to create the lots; creators who upload elsewhere should list the required packs somewhere on their download pages as well.

If the content isn't the issue, pull your entire TS3 game folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  Open the launcher to create a new game folder, then download just one of the lots.  (It's best to use a fresh download for testing, just to be thorough.)  Try to install it and see whether you still get the error.  If you do, then there's probably something wrong with the lots, or else they were made with a different patch level than your game.

If you can install the lots, you can transfer them back to your old game folder, trash the new folder, and put the old one back in Documents\EA.  The lots should each have an entry in Library inside your new game folder, and these can go directly inside Library in your old game folder.  You'll also have at least one new .dbc file in DCCache.  This file will be labeled dcdb0.dbc (a second one would be dcdb1.dbc, etc.), but it needs to be renamed so that it's numbered one higher than the highest numbered .dbc file in DCCache in your old game folder.  For example, if your old folder has dcdb0 through dcdb4, the new one would become dcdb5.  You can ignore .ebc files—these are bundled store content and are read separately.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (419 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

@archilea10  I split your comment into its own thread because the previous thread was five years old and obviously didn't help you.

Just checking, but are the lots unzipped and in Sims3Pack form?  The launcher can't read zip files, nor can it install .package files.  The former need to be unzipped; the latter probably go in Library, if they're lots and not just custom content.

Some Sims3Packs are corrupt and won't install correctly, and others won't install properly unless you have associated content installed already.  If you're downloading from the Exchange, the product pages should list the packs used to create the lots; creators who upload elsewhere should list the required packs somewhere on their download pages as well.

If the content isn't the issue, pull your entire TS3 game folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  Open the launcher to create a new game folder, then download just one of the lots.  (It's best to use a fresh download for testing, just to be thorough.)  Try to install it and see whether you still get the error.  If you do, then there's probably something wrong with the lots, or else they were made with a different patch level than your game.

If you can install the lots, you can transfer them back to your old game folder, trash the new folder, and put the old one back in Documents\EA.  The lots should each have an entry in Library inside your new game folder, and these can go directly inside Library in your old game folder.  You'll also have at least one new .dbc file in DCCache.  This file will be labeled dcdb0.dbc (a second one would be dcdb1.dbc, etc.), but it needs to be renamed so that it's numbered one higher than the highest numbered .dbc file in DCCache in your old game folder.  For example, if your old folder has dcdb0 through dcdb4, the new one would become dcdb5.  You can ignore .ebc files—these are bundled store content and are read separately.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (420 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@puzzlezaddict The Sims 3 has been one of my favorite games, I've been playing it for yearsLarge smile. I'm kinda surprised that someone would even reply that fast cuz this is an old thread lol and since there are not many people play that game anymore. Anyways, thank you so much for your help!Thumbs up I hope others will find this helpful too :D! 

Message 3 of 3 (409 Views)