Random game freeze in San Myshuno

by Allisas

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Random game freeze in San Myshuno

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

When it happens/how I reproduce it:

I start a new save with a single sim and move them into 17 Culpepper House, 1 Bed, 1 Bath with the gremlins trait. Then play normally for 1-2 sim days including a couple of travels to different neighborhoods.

What happens:

Suddenly the whole game freezes and the screen either gets a grey overlay and a window saying "The Sims 4 is not responding" or it goes completely white with now pop-up window. It can occur at anytime when I click or hover over something with my mouse. I've had it happen when looking for parts after repairing an item, clicking the need icon in the lower right corner, hovering over a neighborhood on the world map, picking a meal to prepare from the fridge, clicking on another sim to interact etc.The only way to get out from the frozen game is to press ctrl + alt + delete and end the task through the task manager. It doesn't produce a crash report. I've had the crash happen multiple times in the same save files and in several different save files.

When did it start: 

I'm not sure if it started after the pre-seasons patch or the patch (31/7) since I've be away and haven't played in between those two.

What I've tried so far:

I've done quite a bit of troubleshooting myself before reporting this since I've never heard or read that anyone else has the same problem and because I used mods when it first happened and I wanted to be completely sure it wasn't because of them. Things I have tested so far include:

1. Repairing the game through origin

2. Creating a new save

3. Removing all mods, and repairing again

4. Deleting cache files

5. Updating graphics drivers

6. Disabling origin in game

7. Disabling online features in game

8. Creating a new save again

9. Generating a new The Sims 4 folder in my documents and trying with a new save

10. Reinstalling the game and trying with a new save

I have not yet tried to reproduce the crash in another apartment or world.

My specs:

Game version: 1.45.62.1020

I have all expansions, game packs and stuff packs installed.

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Memory: 16GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Graphics driver date: 2018/08/01

Message 1 of 17 (1,251 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Random game freeze in San Myshuno

★★★★★ Apprentice

I've managed to fix my crashing issue with a clean install of my OS (Windows 10). I suspect that the rollback from Windows 10 to Windows 7 messed up some of my system files and one of many Windows Updates might have resulted in The Sims 4 crashing. I can't be 100% sure of course but with the extensive troubleshooting I did before re-installing the OS I think it's more plausible than anything else. 

I almost forgot about updating this thread when I didn't have any more crashes but I guess it can be useful information if someone else is experiencing random game crashes without any other explanation. Standard smile

View in thread

Message 16 of 17 (1,566 Views)

All Replies

Hero

Hi  @Allisas

Did you put any mods back after you removed them for the rest of your troubleshooting or did the rest of the list without mods installed ?

Do you have any lastcrash.txt files in your doc folder ? If so, please attach those to your post.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 17 (1,230 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
I did not put any mods back in after I took them out. So the rest of the testing is on a completely vanilla game.

These crashes do not produce any lastcrash.txt unfortunately.
Message 3 of 17 (1,223 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
I've now reproduced the crash in another apartment in another neighborhood. It crashed on the evening of the first sim day.
Message 4 of 17 (1,213 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

You can attach the txt file to your post directly.

As you are on Win 7, could you also check for any critical events: https://crinrict.com/blog/2014/09/critical-events.html in connection to Origin and/or the sims. 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 17 (1,209 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Sorry for my late reply. I've been away on vacation for a week.

My DxDiag file is attached. 

This is what one of the crash reports in windows tells me: 

Source
The Sims™ 4

Summary
Stopped responding and was closed

Date
‎2018-‎08-‎03 18:44

Status
Report sent

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin\TS4_x64.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: TS4_x64.exe
Application Version: 1.45.62.1020
Application Timestamp: 5b5127ba
Hang Signature: 2d41
Hang Type: 513
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1053
Additional Hang Signature 1: 2d419a593bce83b37d6d1b4fe413333d
Additional Hang Signature 2: 94b4
Additional Hang Signature 3: 94b45aace953767b1495b78c431fb959
Additional Hang Signature 4: 2d41
Additional Hang Signature 5: 2d419a593bce83b37d6d1b4fe413333d
Additional Hang Signature 6: 94b4
Additional Hang Signature 7: 94b45aace953767b1495b78c431fb959

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 2793098986

Message 6 of 17 (1,183 Views)

Hero

HI @Allisas

on which drive do you have the game installed ? On which drive are your user files ?

That message is inconclusive unfortunately. 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 17 (1,169 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
It's installed on my C drive which is my windows drive. The user files are also on the same drive.
Message 8 of 17 (1,160 Views)

Hero

Hi @Allisas

try reinstalling the game to your E drive then and move the documents Windows folder also to e (google for instructions).

That should give you more space on c for the system itself.

Hopefully that helps.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 17 (1,145 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
I thought 30+GB would be more than enough free space for the game to run. I've had much less before and the game has run perfectly up to just recently and I have over 1000 hours in it. I guess seasons must've really bumped up the requirements?

Is there any known amount of free space that you need to be sure that the game won't crash due to low disk space? I'm reluctant to install it on the E:drive since it's my slower storage disk. I'd rather try to free up enough space on my C:drive for the game to not crash.
Message 10 of 17 (1,135 Views)