RTX 3050 unsopported?

by peno11

Original Post

RTX 3050 unsopported?

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hello. Recently, I've upgraded my graphics card from GTX 1050 Ti to RTX 3050. When I first launched Sims 4, the game was in window, even though I've had it set to be in fullscreen. Then, when the game finally got to main screen, I've got a message that my video card is unsupported and settings was set to maximum. Fortunately, the graphics settings was the only one changed. I would be very mad if I've had all my settings changed. So, I set the graphics settings back to fullscreen, turned VSync on (not sure why that was turned off) and the game seems to work OK so far. Plus, I am not seeing the message again upon restarting the game.

But my question is: why? Why 3050 is unsupported? I know it's not the best GPU out there, but if 1050 Ti, which is definitely weaker,  was supported, why 3050 is not? It's not such a new GPU, it's out for about a year and the game was updated many times since then, so, there is no reason why it shouldn't be in Sims 4's database. And my 3050 is the original version with GA 106 chip, not the new one with GA 107, which I may understand didn't make it to the database yet. So, I am dumbfounded here, to be honest.

The rest of my PC specs it:

Ryzen 5600X

32 GB 3600 MHz, CL16 DDR4

MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk motherboard

Windows 11 Pro

Message 1 of 4 (1,178 Views)

Re: RTX 3050 unsopported?

@peno11  When a GPU is listed as unsupported, that just means that the card's device ID is not in Sims 4's database.  Even though the 3050 is in the database in general, Nvidia keeps issuing new device IDs for new revisions of existing cards, so if yours is a relatively new model, it makes sense that its particular ID wouldn't be in the database.

This isn't an issue in general because you can still set the graphics options to whatever you want, as you have.  But if you'd like to get your card recognized, please go into Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4, open config.log, and post this section of the file:

Number: 0
Name (driver): Unknown Unknown
Name (database): AMD Radeon R9 370 and 8800 Series [Found: 1, Supported: 1]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 6810, Board: 00000000, Chipset: 0000
Driver: macOS Metal driver, Version: 0.0.0.0

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (1,157 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Yeah, it doesn't seem to cause any issue. I just found it weird, especially since my particular card, EVGA GeForce RTX 3050 XC Black Gaming, is actually secondhand. The original owner only had it for a few months, but since EVGA stopped making new cards about the same time he bought it, I am pretty sure it's not that much new model. So, I found that weird.

But anyway, here's the config.log graphics card section.

=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050
Name (database): [Found: 0, Supported: 1]
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 2507, Board: 35513842, Chipset: 00a1
Driver: nvldumdx.dll, Version: 31.0.15.2802, GUID: D7B71E3E-6647-11CF-0051-5E150EC2D235
Driver version: 2802
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 8056MB
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1
Opt. features: +sab +a8l8 +rgba16f +r32f +bc4 +bc5 -rawz +intz

Message 3 of 4 (1,153 Views)

@peno11  As it turns out, the desktop 3050 isn't even in the database, only the laptop versions.  (That may be because the file hasn't been updated in almost a year, according to its timestamp.)  But you can add it easily enough.  Open graphicsrules.sgr and ctrl-F to search for Nvidia, which will take you here:

vendor "NVIDIA" 0x10B4 0x12D2 0x10DE
card 0x1DBA "NVIDIA Quadro GV100" $cardLevelUber $resolutionHigh
card 0x249C "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU" $cardLevelUber $resolutionHigh
card 0x24DC "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU" $cardLevelUber $resolutionHigh

Under the Nvidia line, add this:

card    0x2507  "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050"   $cardLevelUber  $resolutionHigh

Make sure this entry lines up with the ones below; that means four spaces from the left.

You can save your own copy of graphicsrules and put it in ConfigOverride, inside Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4, and that will override the file inside the game's program files.  The copy in the program files will also be reverted to its original form with each update or repair, so putting a copy in ConfigOverride avoids the problem of having to edit the file over and over.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (1,145 Views)