Re: Unrecognized video card

by Psychotps

Original Post

[READ FIRST] Unrecognized video card

[ Edited ]

The unrecognized video card error appears when the graphics card that is running Sims 4 is not in the game’s database.

unrecognized card error.png

You can confirm that your card is not recognized by reading the config.log file, which is located inside Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4.  The [Found: 0] value means the card is not in the database.

config, found 0.png

Solution

This error is generally not harmful: a capable card should run the game whether it's recognized or not.  However, if you'd like to address the error, it's now possible to add an edited version of graphicscards.sgr as an override.  The September 3 patch added a folder in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 labeled ConfigOverride.  If you place a copy of graphicscards.sgr in this folder, its data will override the data in the original version.

The original graphicscards.sgr is within the game's program files.  Unless you changed the default install location in Origin, the full file path will be:

Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin

You can make a copy of your own version of this file and play with it if you want.  (Make sure the file saves with an .sgr extension, not .txt.)  Or you can download a prepared file with a number of additional graphics cards from here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g3hbuTRoi1DEl6JM71liKwSVxmK5aP0q/view?usp=share_link

Choose "Save file" when your browser asks, then move the file from your Downloads folder to ConfigOverride.  Launch the game once, quit, open config.log again, and you should see that your card is now found:

config, found 1.png

If you follow these instructions and your card is not found:

Your card may not be in the provided .txt file.  We would like to keep this file updated, adding new GPUs as they’re released.  If yours isn’t in the file, please post the above section of config.log in this thread so we can add your card’s name and device ID.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 1 of 170 (28,438 Views)

Re: [PLEASE READ] Unrecognized Video Card

★★★ Newbie
@crinrict
My graphics card isn’t on
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti with Max-Q Design
Device ID: 10DE 1F95 86E8103C
Part #: 4904 0011
Message 2 of 170 (28,409 Views)

Re: [PLEASE READ] Unrecognized Video Card

@HaLsEyEST2018  I've moved your post to a new thread on the same issue.  Would you mind trying the steps in the first post?  The file works for me, but it would still be useful to have input from other players too.  Your GPU's device ID is in the provided .sgr file, so it should work for you as well.

And if you do have any issues, just delete the file from ConfigOverride and let me know.

Message 3 of 170 (28,393 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Expert

Works just fine with manual setup, just not recognized:

=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): Radeon RX Vega M GH Graphics
Name (database): [Found: 0, Supported: 1]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 694c, Board: 20738086, Chipset: 00c0
Driver: aticfx64.dll, Version: 26.20.12001.12000, GUID: D7B71EE2-2A0C-11CF-D6CD-922E7BC2D735
Driver version: 12000
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 8181MB

Message 4 of 170 (28,374 Views)

@Psychotps  Thanks for posting.  Did you try the .sgr file linked in the first post?  It has your GPU's device ID in it, unlike the version in the game files.

Message 5 of 170 (28,372 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@puzzlezaddict

Name (database): AMD Radeon RX Vega M [Found: 1, Supported: 1]

That seems to have worked. Appreciate it. Still can't play with all the bugs in the game, but it's nice that it's recognized now.
Message 6 of 170 (28,355 Views)

video card

★★★ Newbie

Hi. i have a error. pls Help i have RTX 2060

Message 7 of 170 (28,211 Views)

Re: video card

Hero
@T3LY13 I've merged your post. Please try suggestions in the first post.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 8 of 170 (28,200 Views)

ask

★ Novice

Hi everyone, hi @puzzleaddict

My graphic card is not recognized in TS4, can someone pls help me. I know this question has been ask before but I can't find anything with the exact same graphic card as me.

Here's the info.

Message 9 of 170 (28,172 Views)

Re: ask

@fearlessisabel  I've merged your post with the (newer) master thread for this issue.  Please try the file linked in the first post, and let me know whether it works for you.

Message 10 of 170 (28,160 Views)