Re: [READ FIRST - POST HERE] Windows 10 Help Thread

by RadioMan71

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I solved my WIN 10 Issues for Sims 3 after trying to find a solution for on/off problems (ex black screen on loading, game would not save) for almost a year. I tried various suggestions until finally the combination of the following worked for me after re-installing everything from scratch. My game now works beautifully and I do have tons of CC and mods. It may work for you without reinstalling.

My game version for Sims 3 is 1.67 as I do not use Origin. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. I rewrote the following  from other sites.

Bear in mind, many issues are caused by conflicting mods or bad .package files too.  

1. Disable Game Mode & the Game Bar. This guide shows how/where to access them:
Windows 10: Turn On or Off Game Mode in Windows 10

2. Might not be necessary to do this for all the game icons but it worked for me, so for each game  icon, plus TS3W.exe, and Sims3LauncherW.exe: Right click each one and choose properties:

In Compatibility tab: 

• Compatibility mode, check mark to run as Windows 7.
  • Check mark next to "Disable fullscreen optimizations"
  • Check mark next to Override high DPI scaling behavior.
  • Check mark next to Run this program as an administrator
  • Click APPLY and OK
  • Clear your cache files, run CCleaner if you have it, then reboot your computer.
  • If you are using Origin and V 1.69 don't choose the W in TS3W as that is used for V1.67. Use TS3.exe or what ever you do to start it in Origin.  Good luck.

Message 81 of 95 (1,355 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Hello,

I am having issues with sims 3 and windows 10 too..... It was working fine just a week ago, but now everytime I start the launcher it crashes to the desktop.  So I'm guessing the tips like moving your save game and installing newer drivers (my drivers are all up to date btw, only have windows 10 installed for less than 2 weeks, so I couldn't have done anything stupid that I forgot about now.

Really hope someone can help me, because it is just weird.  Don't get me wrong origin runs fine, just when I want to start sims 3 it tries to load the launcher but then I'm getting this blue screen.

Message 82 of 95 (1,138 Views)

@RadioMan71  The first and easiest thing to do is to drag your entire TS3 game folder out of Documents and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game again (if it launches), a clean folder will spawn with no content.  See if you can load a new save in this folder and play for a bit; if so, you can copy one of your existing saves into it from the olde folder.  This is a good way to test for and remove game folder corruption, which is always a possibility.

If you can't even load a brand-new game in a clean folder, please run a dxdiag and attach the results here using the "browse" button.  It would also be helpful to know which packs you're running.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/HOW-TO-DxDiag-PC-Only/m-p/1049584/thread-id/47181

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 83 of 95 (1,123 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yes I understand that, and I would do that if I wasn't sure that this doesn't solve my problem.

My pc crashes when I want to open the LAUNCHER, not the game because I have to run the game from within the launcher...… with the launcher I mean that welcome screen where you can choose which expansions you want to play see what you got downloaded from the store and the exchange.

Basically that sort of launcher, you can't even load your save from here, so unless you can tell me this may still cause my crash I don't really feel like doing this because it's a blue screen and there is nothing else to do than to restart the pc.

Message 84 of 95 (1,122 Views)

★★ Apprentice

here is dxdiag.txt

Message 85 of 95 (1,120 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Sorry for all the posts, wish I could edit my own posts again. But I own all packs except that katy stuff or something, anyway you can't get that pack anymore to begin with.

I understand that it's not advised to run all packs at the same time, but my pc seem to can handle it, that is I never experience any lag except in isla paradiso.

Message 86 of 95 (1,115 Views)

@RadioMan71  I'm well aware that you said the launcher crashes, as well as what it does.  There are more files than just your saves in your game folder, and some of those files could be crashing the launcher.  Rather than go into all the potential issues, why not just pull the folder out?  Game folders are designed to be swappable, and it will take you ten seconds to test.

Yes, your computer can handle all of TS3's packs just fine, but that's not true for everyone, which is why I asked.  (IP is its own special case—the world itself is so poorly built as to be unplayable even on the most powerful computers.  But that's a different subject that can be addressed later, if you want.)

I did notice that you have two monitors plugged into your computer, one of which has a nonstandard resolution.  What happens if you unplug the 1680 x 1050 and just use the other one?  Even if this setup worked before, it might be messing with your game now.

By the way, you should be able to edit your posts, unless something has changed in the past couple of months.  Next to the time stamp above the text of your reply, there are three dots that you can click on to pull down a menu of options.

Message 87 of 95 (1,108 Views)

★★ Apprentice

OK,  I will remove the folder later on, right now I am doing some stuff on the pc that prevents me from risking a crash.  Well it's been working on this for almost 5 hours and I don't want to risk having to start over again and it can take a while longer, but I will remove the folder, try to start it again and post my findings here.

Message 88 of 95 (1,103 Views)

★★ Apprentice

OK for the last time I want to start a new post, to make it clear this is a new post and not some edit.

I deleted the whole folder and the launcher did launch, so my apologies for being so hard on you..... It just doesn't make sense in my mind, but it works.  Just one question do I have to start a new game now, or can I get my files back?  And I guess all the store items are gone also now, I'm sorry maybe I should reread some of the posts about deleting the folder, just hope that there is a way to get some of the stuff back.

Also about my secondary monitor, this is not a non standard monitor, but it's prior to HD monitors and it's positioned on it's side so  I can read it like a piece of paper.  But this isn't the problem here, luckily because I would hate it that I have to turn off the pc to avoid shortcutting when I disconnect the cable and shut down the pc again when I want to connect it again, it's true I don't need it in sims 3, but I still use it in other games or have my chats on, so they are still visible when I run a game or other full screen application.

Message 89 of 95 (1,091 Views)

@RadioMan71  I'm glad that a clean folder is enough to get your game up and running again.  I was worried about the second monitor because a few players have had issues when their monitors have different resolutions, but it sounds like that's not causing you any problems right now.

If you haven't cleaned out your recycle bin, you can recover your saves and other content from your old TS3 folder.  (This is why I suggested dragging it onto your desktop instead of trashing it entirely.)  If the folder is gone, though, then so are your saves.  But you can redownload your store content for free as many times as you like.

Here's an explanation of the contents of your game folder; you can decide for yourself what you'd like to transfer into the new one, if the old one is still available.  But it's best to move only a few files at a time and then test to make sure the launcher still works.  If not, you'll know what was causing the crashes.

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

Message 90 of 95 (1,085 Views)