Re: Please help me help my son! Video card error - Sims 4

by jpkarlsen

Original Post

Please help me help my son! Video card error - Sims 4

★★★ Newbie

PLEASE HELP!!!!

My 12 yr old has a brand new pc and sims which he is desperate to play but we get this must install video card error.  I'm confident we meet the minimum system requirements and have trawled the forums carrying out updates and tweaks to try and get it to load to no avail. The online chat support have washed their hands of me and offered me a discount voucher for my next version but i'm sure there must be a way to get this fixed for him.  I'm attaching the Dx reports, if anyone has any other suggestions it would be much appreciated.

So far we've:

Reinstalled the Nvidia and updated to ensure latest version

DNS flush

Loads of tweaks in Nvidia properties 

reinstalled origin - allowed me to download game but error appears when go to click play

turned off in gaming mode

Was using a smart TV as monitor - swapped with our desktop monitor, no change

Cleared the C:\

Message 1 of 3 (208 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@charliewortley  Your computer should play the game. The dxdiag is crashing. The card shows it's running at 30Hz refresh and the display shows 60Hz refresh as the native mode. The dxdiag does not have the storage device(s) listed for some reason. If you just updated the video driver are you sure you downloaded the correct driver? Is this a new computer? The game has the Nvidia chip for GTX 1050 in the database so if the dxdiag is working correctly the game should find the card. This could be an operating system (Windows corrupt) issue. Either you have the wrong display driver or corrupted display driver or your have a hardware issue (bad video card). The fact that the dxdiag does not complete error free indicates a problem with your system. Is your system crashing randomly?

Message 2 of 3 (196 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@charliewortley

You do have the latest NVidia driver.

As @roberta591 wrote the problem is that you are trying to run the game with a refresh rate of 30Hz.

Open NVidia Control Panel. Under Display select Change Resolution. In the top right corner click Restore Defaults.

Make sure the Refresh Rate dropdown says 60Hz. Click apply.

Under 3D Settings click Manage 3D Settings. In the top right corner click Restore Settings. Click Apply.

Close NVidia Control Panel. Test the game.

If it does not work, rightclick the game in Origin and select Repair.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 3 of 3 (186 Views)