Performance issues with Nvidia RTX 3050

by packsgaza

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Performance issues with Nvidia RTX 3050

★★★★★ Newbie

Hello everyone,

I hope someone can help me as I am not familiar with hardware specs and configurations. I recently purchased a gaming laptop to run the Sims 4 in Ultra performance and had a message saying that the graphic card was not supported and that I might have problems in performance.

My laptop specs are HP Victus 16-e0011ns, 16.1" FHD, AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H, 16 GB de RAM DDR4 of 3200 MHz, 512 GB SSD, RTX 3050 and Windows 10.

I tried different modes and with Medium and Ultra it wasn't running smooth. Is this a problem of my laptop specs? How can I configure my laptop to make it run in Ultra. Shall I reduce the screen 144 Hz?

Thank you in advanced for your help.

Message 1 of 5 (3,638 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Performance issues with Nvidia RTX 3050

Hero (Retired)

@packsgaza When Sims 4 starts it checks your computers hardware. The game does some video processing so it has to know your computer's video system. The game's database is not always up to date. You can add your card. You will need to edit the graphicscard.sgr file.

- copy and paste graphicscard.sgr in the games core files to configoverride folder in the user documents folder

- run dxdiag to get graphics card info

- use notepad to edit graphicscrad.sgr in the user documents folder

- save file

- the game will now use the configoverride file - if you made a mistake just delete the file in configoverride folder.

Here is a link for the mac add graphics card

After looking at the .sgr file  just add your card  and set to uber.

View in thread

Message 3 of 5 (3,604 Views)

All Replies

@packsgaza  Your laptop should be able to handle ultra graphics settings.  But there are certainly reasons why that wouldn't be happening, both related to your computer itself and not.  First of all, have you tried playing a new save in a clean user folder?  I'm not suggesting you need to abandon your current saves, just that it's a useful test to narrow down the cause of the problem.

Move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and a new one will spawn the next time you open Sims 4.  (Your saves and other content will be intact in the old folder but temporarily not read by the game.)  Don't add anything to the new folder yet; just let me know how a new save runs.

If you still see performance issues, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also make sure the game is using your dedicated card, not the iGPU.  inside the new Sims 4 folder, open config.log, which will list the card used about 30 lines down.

The unrecognized graphics card message is because your card isn't in Sims 4's database yet.  It has nothing to do with performance: it only means that the game doesn't know which graphics profile to assign by default.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (3,611 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@packsgaza When Sims 4 starts it checks your computers hardware. The game does some video processing so it has to know your computer's video system. The game's database is not always up to date. You can add your card. You will need to edit the graphicscard.sgr file.

- copy and paste graphicscard.sgr in the games core files to configoverride folder in the user documents folder

- run dxdiag to get graphics card info

- use notepad to edit graphicscrad.sgr in the user documents folder

- save file

- the game will now use the configoverride file - if you made a mistake just delete the file in configoverride folder.

Here is a link for the mac add graphics card

After looking at the .sgr file  just add your card  and set to uber.

Message 3 of 5 (3,605 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thank you for your help!

Message 4 of 5 (3,497 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@packsgaza Did it ever get fixed? I'm thinking of buying the Acer Nitro 5 and it has NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3050 Ti, and I dont want to deal with any issues like this.. Frown
Message 5 of 5 (2,140 Views)