Re: [PLEASE READ] Unrecognized Video Card

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Re: Unrecognized Video Card: Your video Card was not found in our Database

★★★★ Novice
@crinrict @Bluebellflora

Please help Out of no where my game started giving me a message at start up saying "unrecognized video card. Your video card is not recognized in our database. I've contacted several people on the help center but hey are no help and just kept giving me the go around. Please let me know how it can get fixed

my MacOS is Catalina version 10.15
My Mac address is a4:83:e7:00:80:0e
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
Processor  1.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Graphics Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645 1536 MB

Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645:

Chipset Model: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645
  Type: GPU
  Bus: Built-In
  VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
Message 61 of 284 (1,068 Views)

★★ Novice

My VEN ID: 1002 and my Device is: 694E

I cannot find my graphics card on the list

Message 62 of 284 (1,064 Views)

Hero
@bmepps What's your card in detail ? Post your specs if you're unsure.

@Jezfuji I'll let bluebellflora handle this but Mac forum is crazy right now so she's pretty busy. Sorry for the delay.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 63 of 284 (1,052 Views)

★★ Novice

In all honesty I have no idea what information I'm supposed to be giving since I dont know anything about this but I just know the "unrecognized video card" started happening after my update. Can you be specific about what info i should post? Im so sorry. Ill attach my dxdiag 

Message 64 of 284 (1,031 Views)

@Jezfuji  You'll need to add your card's info to the file called graphicscards.sgr, inside the package contents for Sims 4.  If the Sims 4 is not in the regular Applications folder, Origin likely installed it into your user account.  To find it, open a Finder window, click Macintosh HD (or whatever you've named your hard disk) in the left panel, then Users\[your username]\Applications.  (If you don't see the hard disk listed, click Finder in the upper left corner of your screen, then Preferences, then Sidebar; then under devices, check the box next to Hard Disks.)

Once you've found the Sims 4 install location, right-click, or hold down crtl and click, on the TS4 icon and select Show Package Contents.  Open Contents, then graphicscards.sgr.  It should open automatically in TextEdit, but if not, you can right-click, select Open With and then choose TextEdit.

In graphicscards.sgr, hit cmd-F and search for HD 620.  That will take you to these lines:

card 0x5916 "Intel (R) HD 620" $cardLevelMedium $resolutionMedium
card 0x5926 "Intel (R) HD 640" $cardLevelMedium $resolutionMedium
card 0x2982 "IntelÆ Graphics Media Accelerator X3500" $cardLevelLow $resolutionLow unsupported

Under the second line above (for the HD 640), create a new line and copy and paste the following:

card 0x3EA6 "Intel (R) HD 645" $cardLevelMedium $resolutionMedium

Save the file and quit, launch TS4 and quit, and open the file called config.log inside your Sims 4 game folder (in Documents\Electronic Arts).  About 30 lines down, you'll see the graphics card info.  If your card's name has a [Found: 1, Supported: 1] entry, then the edit worked.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 65 of 284 (1,019 Views)

@bmepps  Your dxdiag has all the necessary info, thanks.

The file you'll need to edit is called graphicscards.sgr, and it's located within the program files for Sims 4.  By default, Origin installs the file here:

Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin

Open graphicscards (it should open with Notepad by default, but if not, you can manually select it).  Right at the top, you'll see these lines:

vendor "ATI" 0x1002
card 0x731F "AMD Radeon RX 5700 / 5700 XT" $cardLevelUber $resolutionHigh
card 0x15DD "AMD Vega 11" $cardLevelUber $resolutionHigh
card 0x6863 "AMD Vega FE" $cardLevelUber $resolutionHigh
card 0x687F "AMD Vega 64 and 56" $cardLevelUber $resolutionHigh

Immediately below the Vega 64 and 56 line, create a new line, and copy and paste this:

card 0x694E "AMD Radeon RX Vega M GL" $cardLevelUber $resolutionHigh

I'm guessing on the card's rating—even though it's integrated, its performance is supposed to be comparable to an Nvidia 1050.  But if you notice lag, you can dial the card level back to high, and maybe the resolution to medium (or you could manually tweak the graphics settings in Game Options).

Save the file and quit, launch Sims 4 and quit, then open the file called config.log inside Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4.  About 30 lines down, you should see your card listed.  If it says [Found: 1, Supported: 1], then the edit worked.

Message 66 of 284 (1,011 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict @Bluebellflora Hi thank you for your reply I'm not sure why but when I enter cmd-F and search for HD 620 it doesn't show up. I've uninstalled and installed the game again and still nothing.
Message 67 of 284 (996 Views)

@Jezfuji  You can manually scroll through graphicscards to find the Intel entries; they're towards the bottom of the list.  It starts here:

vendor "Intel" 0x8086

You should also be able to search for Intel, or for 5916 (to get to the entry for the 620), but I'm not sure why that would work if looking for HD 620 doesn't.  The only thing I can think of is that perhaps your game isn't patched.

At any rate though, the important thing is to add your card to the list under the Intel category.

Message 68 of 284 (926 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I searched the whole thing but it doesn't have those text. Let me ask you when I enter graphicscards.sgr in my files what pops up is a very long folder called Client_log.txt I don't actually have a folder in my comp called graphicscards.sgr. is this the client log the same thing?
Message 69 of 284 (920 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Jezfuji  No, that file is not the same thing.  You can't find graphicscards.sgr by searching for it in Finder; that's why I wrote out where you should look.

If the Sims 4 is not in the regular Applications folder, Origin likely installed it into your user account. To find it, open a Finder window, click Macintosh HD (or whatever you've named your hard disk) in the left panel, then Users\[your username]\Applications. (If you don't see the hard disk listed, click Finder in the upper left corner of your screen, then Preferences, then Sidebar; then under devices, check the box next to Hard Disks.)

Once you've found the Sims 4 install location, right-click, or hold down crtl and click, on the TS4 icon and select Show Package Contents. Open Contents, then graphicscards.sgr. It should open automatically in TextEdit, but if not, you can right-click, select Open With and then choose TextEdit.

I promise you that you have a graphicscards file in there somewhere, or else the game wouldn't run at all.

Message 70 of 284 (915 Views)