Re: Sim can't cook.

by kreatora

Original Post

[PLEASE POST HERE] Sims can’t cook anymore

[ Edited ]
Hero

Problem

When I tell my Sim to cook something, they refuse to do it. Either they just stand around or they wave as if they can't get to something.

Cause

There are several causes to this issue

1. The pot rack or certain lights over the stove or in the kitchen can lead to routing issues
  2. The Cats & Dogs Patch broke most CC benches and sofas and if you have one of those on your lot, you won't be able to cook.
  3. All counters are taken.
  4. A canceled action left something in the oven/microwave
  5. Toys or similar block the way.

Solution

1. There's three different sizes of pot racks. Each having issues with different wall heights. You can place the normal one on low but it will lead routing issues, same with medium on medium wall height and large on tall walls. There's also some ceiling lights that have the same issue. If you're using moveobjects a lot to place something, that can lead to problems too. Check on all decoration and lights in your kitchen if they are not blocking. This is a bit of a bug so please use this thread: Pot Rack causes routing issues when trying to use the stove if that's your issue
  2. Repair sofas and benches with Sims4Studio (Google the tool for link). There's a batch fix for it.
  3. Make sure that at least one of the counters has free space and no clutter on them. You need a free space to prepare the meal. To cook something you need a fridge and depending on what you cook a free counter and a stove/microwave.
  4. Remove any meals in the oven with Empty Oven to free up the oven. If the option is not available, buy a new oven/microwave.
  5. Make sure there aren't any toys or similar cluttering up the floor.

Please post in this thread if none of these work for you.

Best to post a picture of your setup and/or upload the build to your gallery and post the link here.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 1 of 31 (26,121 Views)

Re: [PLEASE POST HERE] Sims can’t cook anymore

★★★★★ Guide

I'd like to add that a few light fixtures can also cause issues of this sort as well, especially if you tend to use incorrectly sized ceiling objects near counters, the fridge, or the stove.

I've been noticing this issue when I was making an Elven-style kitchen using recolored ceiling lights from the Holiday Stuff Pack. The Festive Ceiling Light for example can cause routing issues when placed in a low-walled room.

Kind Regards,

- B

Message 2 of 31 (26,107 Views)

Sim can't cook.

★★ Novice

I've been having a problem where my Sim cannot cook. Every time I try to, she starts cooking but then stops halfway. I click to resume cooking, and she acts as if there is something blocking her way. I've tried moving the stove to even the middle of the floor, but she still won't. I've tried reinstalling my game, deleting Origin data folders, repairing the game thru Origin, restarting, and I've been through 3 EA tech support chats, but they couldn't fix it and reffered me here. Please help, my Sim can't live off chips and oatmeal for long Devil

Message 3 of 31 (25,775 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@ElliePlex

There can be some food left inside the oven. Replace this stove with another one.

Something can block the table on which she prepares food.
Another reason may be that you have CC that has broken this interaction in the game. If you have any mods or CC move mods folder to the desktop and try without it.

I don't work for EA

Message 4 of 31 (25,760 Views)

★★ Novice

I don't have any mods or CCs. My game is vanilla, except for 1 free Holiday DLC. I tried replacing the oven, but it didn't help. She still acts like there's something blocking her path.

Message 5 of 31 (25,744 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@ElliePlexi

Did you try to travel with this sim to find if she will have this issue in another house too?
Save your current game using the option "save as" and start a new game with the same sim and some random sim.
You can put in the empty lot only fridge, table and stove to see how it will be work on another lot and in the new save. You can quit this test game without saving

Message 6 of 31 (25,737 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Updatei just started a new game using my character, it worked

i started a new game, created a random character, built an empty lot and just put a fridge, stove, and counter. that seemed to work for him. now how do i get it to work with my main character? do i need to move to a new lot? or start a new game with her saved character?

(Posts merged by CM)

Message 7 of 31 (25,726 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Thanks for the post! I tried everything you suggested, and still isn't working for me. My sim typically uses the clear counter next to the stove to prepare food. I deleted it to route to another counter and the other free counters under the double window also didn't work. I raised the windows, I raised the pot rack, I deleted and replaced counters, cleared clutter. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

P.S. Specifically only happens when bowls are involved. I can cook salads and have sandwiches.

Message 8 of 31 (25,663 Views)

Hero
@rakkevander Did you try deleting the pot rack completely ? Check the oven if something is in there ?

Does it work in a different house ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 9 of 31 (25,633 Views)

★ Novice
@crinrict I had checked the oven, nothing there. I deleted the oven rack, no change. It ended up being what was hung on the wall next to the exterior door that was getting in the way.
Couldn't have figured it out without you! Thanks for the suggestion of deleting things. The routing around the pot rack seemed like it might apply to other things too. So systematically deleting one item at a time, I found what was in the way.
Message 10 of 31 (25,619 Views)