Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: FAQ

by Scarlett2k

Original Post

[PLEASE POST HERE] Questions regarding drop of 32 bit OS Support

[ Edited ]
Hero

As most have probably seen, EA/Maxis is dropping support for 32 bit Windows Operating systems (note: There was never a 32 bit version for MacOS. The changes coming to Mac are different. Please us the Mac forum if you have questions about that)

For most people, this will not have any influence. We'll probably just get a patch in June and then you will no longer be able to install or run the game on 32 bit operating systems but if you already are on 64 bit (as most people are), you will see no change.

There will be a Sims 4 Legacy Edition that still runs on 32 bit OS. Find more info on that here: The Sims 4: Legacy Edition FAQ

I'm sure, many of you have questions. If you do, please use this thread to ask them.

If you're unsure if you are affected, please attach your DxDiag to your post to be checked.

I'm trying to compile the most important questions on the second post.

Happy Gaming
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 1 of 4 (3,165 Views)

FAQ

[ Edited ]
Hero

How do I find out if I have a 32 bit or 64 bit Operating System

For Windows 8.1 and Windows 10

• Click on Start --> Settings --> System --> About
  • On the right hand side under Device Specifications, system type will give you the info.

For Windows 7

• Choose Start and click on Computer with your right mouse button
  • Choose Settings
  • Under System, you'll find the system type.

I have a 64 bit operating system but I play the game in 32 bit as that was recommended by the game

You will still be able to run the game in 64 bit mode. The game currently suggest 32 bit f you have 4 GB or less. You will still be able to play the game. I do recommend getting more RAM if possible though, especially if you have < 4 GB

I already have a 64 bit operating system. What do I need to do ?

Nothing. There will probably be a patch in June that removes the 32 bit version and your game will only be 64 bit from then on. You will probably not even notice the change.

My game is installed in programs(x86). I read that's for 32 bit programs. Do I need to reinstall the game ?

No, the path where the game is installed doesn't matter.

I currently have a 32 bit operating system and would like to upgrade. What do I need to do ?

If you have 4 GB or RAM or more, you can download the 64 bit operating system from Microsoft with no costs (Exception: You run Windows XP or older). Download the 64 bit disc image (ISO File) version of your current operating system (Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10). You will need the key of your current 32 bit OS.

Please follow instructions given by Microsoft or get help as you will need to reinstall the entire operating system. Make sure to backup your data before doing this.

If you have less than 4 GB of RAM, I would suggest looking at your system to find out if it's worth upgrading or if you should get a new computer instead.

Can I switch back to the normal edition if I get a better computer in the future ?

Yes. The Sims 4 Legacy Edition will be a new game that you can add for free to your account if you currently own the normal Sims 4 edition. Once you switch to a 64 bit operating system you can just download the 64 bit version that's already on your account.

Happy Gaming
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 4 (3,155 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

I have a 64 bit OS but Origins opens the game in 32 bit. How do I change it on Origins so that it opens with 64 bit?

Message 3 of 4 (1,268 Views)

Hero

@Scarlett2k wrote:

I have a 64 bit OS but Origins opens the game in 32 bit. How do I change it on Origins so that it opens with 64 bit?

Could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

You can attach the txt file to your post directly.

Happy Gaming
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 4 (1,240 Views)
sims-four-characters

The Sims 4 Patch Notes

Check out the latest updates and bug fixes

View more on EA Help
white-sims-bg

Restore a previous saved game

Choose from an automatically stored save point in The Sims 4 if your data's corrupted or you want to revert anyway.

View more on EA Help

ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help