FAQ

by crinrict

Original Post

[ARCHIVED] Questions regarding drop of 32 bit OS Support/Legacy Edition

[ Edited ]
Hero

UPDATE

The legacy edition is no longer supported. 

As most have probably seen, EA/Maxis is dropping support for 32 bit Windows Operating systems (note: There was never a 32 bit version for MacOS. The changes coming to Mac are different. Please us the Mac forum if you have questions about that)

For most people, this will not have any influence. We'll probably just get a patch in June and then you will no longer be able to install or run the game on 32 bit operating systems but if you already are on 64 bit (as most people are), you will see no change.

There will be a Sims 4 Legacy Edition that still runs on 32 bit OS. Find more info on that here: The Sims 4: Legacy Edition FAQ

I'm sure, many of you have questions. If you do, please use this thread to ask them.

If you're unsure if you are affected, please attach your DxDiag to your post to be checked.

I'm trying to compile the most important questions on the second post.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 1 of 128 (15,807 Views)
Highlighted

FAQ

[ Edited ]
Hero

How do I find out if I have a 32 bit or 64 bit Operating System

For Windows 8.1 and Windows 10

• Click on Start --> Settings --> System --> About
  • On the right hand side under Device Specifications, system type will give you the info.

For Windows 7

• Choose Start and click on Computer with your right mouse button
  • Choose Settings
  • Under System, you'll find the system type.

I have a 64 bit operating system but I play the game in 32 bit as that was recommended by the game

You will still be able to run the game in 64 bit mode. The game currently suggest 32 bit f you have 4 GB or less. You will still be able to play the game. I do recommend getting more RAM if possible though, especially if you have < 4 GB

I already have a 64 bit operating system. What do I need to do ?

Nothing. There will probably be a patch in June that removes the 32 bit version and your game will only be 64 bit from then on. You will probably not even notice the change.

My game is installed in programs(x86). I read that's for 32 bit programs. Do I need to reinstall the game ?

No, the path where the game is installed doesn't matter.

I currently have a 32 bit operating system and would like to upgrade. What do I need to do ?

If you have 4 GB or RAM or more, you can download the 64 bit operating system from Microsoft with no costs (Exception: You run Windows XP or older). Download the 64 bit disc image (ISO File) version of your current operating system (Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10). You will need the key of your current 32 bit OS.

Please follow instructions given by Microsoft or get help as you will need to reinstall the entire operating system. Make sure to backup your data before doing this.

If you have less than 4 GB of RAM, I would suggest looking at your system to find out if it's worth upgrading or if you should get a new computer instead.

Can I switch back to the normal edition if I get a better computer in the future ?

Yes. The Sims 4 Legacy Edition will be a new game that you can add for free to your account if you currently own the normal Sims 4 edition. Once you switch to a 64 bit operating system you can just download the 64 bit version that's already on your account.

All my Saves are gone

If you install the legacy edition, the game creates a new folder called The Sims 4 Legacy Edition in your documents folder. The game should automatically move all files over to that folder when you first start the game. If that is not the case, try copying everything manually. Also make sure to check OneDrive to see if that's maybe the folder the game is using.

More info can be found here: https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2018/07/how-to-find-your-user-folder/

I was forced to download the Legacy Edition although I have 64 bit

You can switch back to 64 bit through Origin.

1. Right-Click on the game in Origin and choose Game Properties
  2. Click on Advanced Launch Options
  3. Switch back to 64 bit

Legacy.png

If you do not have the option to switch back, you're either playing on a Mac (please post in the Mac forum) or your graphics chip is not capable to play 64 bit games. That is often the case for Surfaces X or Galaxy Books that Run Windows.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 128 (15,795 Views)

Re: FAQ

★★★ Novice

I have a 64 bit OS but Origins opens the game in 32 bit. How do I change it on Origins so that it opens with 64 bit?

Message 3 of 128 (13,908 Views)

Re: FAQ

Hero

@Scarlett2k wrote:

I have a 64 bit OS but Origins opens the game in 32 bit. How do I change it on Origins so that it opens with 64 bit?

Could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

You can attach the txt file to your post directly.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 128 (13,880 Views)

Re: [PLEASE POST HERE] Questions regarding drop of 32 bit OS Support

★★★ Novice

My Operating System is already running 64 bit so I dont understand why Origin told me I had to download and install the Sims 4 Legacy Edition and the game would NOT run until I did. And now that I did that I cant get rid of it or play without it and just learned that with this Legacy Edition I can NEVER buy another Sims 4 expansion or other pack OR get ANY future updates. PLEASE tell me there is a fix coming for this as I was hoping to get the new Discover University expansion. Frown HELP!!! I have a barely 2 years old laptop with Windows 10 and a 64 bit operating system.

Message 5 of 128 (12,012 Views)

Re: [PLEASE POST HERE] Questions regarding drop of 32 bit OS Support

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@Scarlett2k 

Go to the Origin/My games Library - right-click on TS4 and select properties or game data. (My version of Origin is not in English so I don't know what the equivalent of this term is for you)
Then select advanced startup options. Change from 32 bit to 64 bit there

Edited:

Forgot to add.
The first time launch the game from Origin - not from the desktop icon

@lkrause74 

Uninstall Legacy Edition and do as above

I don't work for EA

Message 6 of 128 (12,001 Views)

How do I download Sims 4 Legacy?

★★★ Novice

After a long download from Origin, I can no longer play my Sims 4 game. I am told I should download Sims Legacy, which I will find by opening the DETAIL page for Sims 4 on Origin. I cannot find this.

How do I get to this "detail" page?

Message 7 of 128 (9,067 Views)

lost absolutely everything, saved games, sims, cc - all gone

★★★ Novice

WTH? The game automatically updated. Then wouldn't open unless I downloaded 'Legacy' which I did. Now everything is gone. All my saved sims, all my saved games, no custom content....all gone. Over 900 hours of play erased. No way to update my computer. This totally sucks! No way Origin thought this through. I'm sure there are hundreds other just like myself that have been totally screwed. There should be some way to uninstall 'legacy' and reinstall Sims 4 prior to the update. At least to be able to play the past 5 years of Sims 4. Just crappy!

Message 8 of 128 (8,961 Views)

Re: lost absolutely everything, saved games, sims, cc - all gone

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

To my horror, I just discovered exactly the same thing.

ETA: Ok, no need to panic just yet. The files are actually still intact under the regular Sims4 folder on your computer. So, it should just be a matter of transferring them over. But it's probably a good idea to save them somewhere else first also.

But this still stands. 

It even says in the patch notes for Legacy Edition: 

Will my save files still work in The Sims 4 Legacy Edition?

Yes, save files will still work with The Sims 4 Legacy Edition. Your save files will automatically transfer over when you first launch The Sims 4 Legacy Edition.

Message 9 of 128 (8,951 Views)

Re: How do I download Sims 4 Legacy?

★★★ Newbie
@pmltry DId you figure it out? I am having the same issue.... :-(
Message 10 of 128 (9,032 Views)