Re: PC randomly shuts down

by Moudschegiechn

Original Post

Accepted Solution

PC randomly shuts down

★★★ Novice

As the title says my PC randomly shuts down while playing Sims 4. This can happen after 30 mins or 4 hours. There is no pattern to it or any sign of warning. One minute I'm playing and next my pc shuts down. I tried every solution I could think of and find but nothing helps.

I monitored the temperature (average while playing is 70°C) and when I play other games which require more power and let the temperature go up higher nothing happens so it's definitely tied to Sims. Per default the game sets the graphics to ultra which I usually play on but even lowering them to Medium didn't help. My PC has enough power to supply everything. I completely re-installed the game and made a fresh safe with no cc or mods on different graphic settings but that didn't help either. All drivers are up to date. Game is also on the newest patch. V-synch is active both ingame and in my graphic cards settings. I tried playing the game in Windowed Mode, Fullscreen and Windowed Fullscreen, didn't change anything either. Windows Event Viewer always says the same thing about these sudden shut downs: that the system was re-booted without properly shutting down first.

I haven't played the game for a few months and this started after playing again ~3 weeks ago. I have no clue what else I could do and am getting worried that something will get damaged if this continues. Plus it's super frustrating.

My PC specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Processor: AMD FX-8350 4.00GHz

RAM: 16 GB

Graphic Card: Radeon RX 580 8GB

Sims 4 runs on an SSD.

Message 1 of 17 (661 Views)

Accepted Solution

@Moudschegiechn 

The game PC crashed again at the end of this file?

You don't get a Blue screen of dead, the PC is just crashing?

Your 12v rail gets to 11.8V at the end of your log, that is much lower as it should be.

Screenshot 2021-07-18 001907.png

All in all I would say much points to a issue with the PSU, but defect capacitors on the Motherboard could also be the problem. 
Or in other words, there is no way to be sure about such a problem when troubleshot over the Internet.

Can you test with a different PSU, from a friend or relative?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 10 of 17 (515 Views)

All Replies

Hero

Could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

You can attach the txt file to your post directly. 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 17 (635 Views)

★★★ Novice

Of course, here it is.

Message 3 of 17 (631 Views)

Hero
@Moudschegiechn Do you have any open windows updates ? There's a few failures.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 17 (621 Views)

★★★ Novice

@crinrict Only an optional one (Advanced Micro Devices) which I am downloading right now. When the shutting down started I suspected it might be because of the latest Windows updates and rolled one version back. Though after that didn't make a difference I installed all updates again. Could the failures be because of that?

Message 5 of 17 (612 Views)

Hero
@Moudschegiechn If the whole PC shuts down, I'm suspecting more some hardware issue but want to rule out other causes first, especially since Sims is the only game you have issues with.

Have you run any hardware tests yet ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 17 (601 Views)

★★★ Novice

@crinrict I fear that too but then again with SIms you never know. Regarding Hardeware tests I've let the monitoring thingy run which gives me some stats regarding ram + the graphics card. And I looked into the PC if it's too dusty (it's not) or if any of the fans is not working properly (they are). I don't know what other tests I could though I'm more than happy to do whatever I can to find the culprit.

Message 7 of 17 (591 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Moudschegiechn 

Thanks for tagging @crinrict !

What power supply do you use (model and manufacturer) and how old is it?

I also would like to know what is going on inside your system. 

• Download hwinfo64 (The green button) > Install and execute the program > Sensors only. 
    HW info.png
  • Click on the sheet with the green cross (logging) > give the file a name and save it to a place of your choice. 
  • Wait 5 Minutes > Start TS4> Play until the system crashes > Stop the hwinfo logging (the sheet again)
  • Rename the Log to > ">your name for the file<.CSV.txt"
  • Upload the Log file here as you did with the DxDiag.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 8 of 17 (572 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@holger1405 I let the programm run as you said I hope this is as it should be? I'm gonna look what power supply I have though I can tell you it's a little bit over five years old.

Edit: It's an Xilence though I don't know which one it is exactly. I'm so sorry but there was just this rather criptic little sticker on it with this number: S/N: 044X6090001067

Unluckily I don't have an invoice or anything to this pc since I wasn't the one who ordered it. The only other thing I know is that it's a 600W one.

Thank you and @crinrict so much for all the patience and help so far, I really appreciate it. ;_; <3

Message 9 of 17 (552 Views)

@Moudschegiechn 

The game PC crashed again at the end of this file?

You don't get a Blue screen of dead, the PC is just crashing?

Your 12v rail gets to 11.8V at the end of your log, that is much lower as it should be.

Screenshot 2021-07-18 001907.png

All in all I would say much points to a issue with the PSU, but defect capacitors on the Motherboard could also be the problem. 
Or in other words, there is no way to be sure about such a problem when troubleshot over the Internet.

Can you test with a different PSU, from a friend or relative?

Message 10 of 17 (516 Views)