trying to use meme86test but computer goes to desktop

by Madamelee

Original Post

trying to use meme86test but computer goes to desktop

★★★★★ Apprentice

I need to test the RAM for the computer but I have the application ready but when I shut down and restart  my computer it goes automatically to the desktop and it doesn't normally does that- and I need to get to the bootdrive in order to test my RAM

Message 21 of 28 (282 Views)

Re: trying to use meme86test but computer goes to desktop

[ Edited ]

@Madamelee  You may need to boot into BIOS first to set your computer to boot from the USB, or you might be able to bring up a boot menu while the computer is restarting.  Please see these instructions:

https://www.memtest86.com/tech_booting-memtest.html

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 22 of 28 (272 Views)

I don't see USB drive in boot menu

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

i'm still figuring out how to test RAM but I can get into the boot menu but I don't see the USB drive-it's just "J"  and I have 3 boot menus to choose one- and as far as I can tell none of them look correctly.  

@puzzlezaddict 

Message 23 of 28 (270 Views)

Re: I don't see USB drive in boot menu

@Madamelee  I'm sorry, I have no idea what to tell you without being able to see what you're seeing.  If it's any help though, drives C and D are internal, and drive E is a DVD drive.  So if there's exactly one other option listed that's none of those three, that's the USB.  Make sure you don't have any other USB devices plugged in though.

Message 24 of 28 (252 Views)

got it to to run Computer Passed Memetest

★★★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict  

I got the memetest to run  and   all 4 cycles passed with no issues.  My parents want me to look up the thing (bulging capacitors)  you suggested in my PM (I had to show Dad the two threads+ the one PM).. but I think there's no point since I don't want to undo the casing incase we need to take it to a shop. 

Message 25 of 28 (276 Views)

Re: got it to to run Computer Passed Memetest

@Madamelee  There's no harm in taking off the front panel of the case and having a look inside.  Cases are built to support this, since people need to clean and check components from time to time.  But if this is a case of bulging capacitors, you'd wind up taking it to a repair shop anyway, so if you really don't want to do it, then I guess you could just skip the step and go right to the repair shop.

Message 26 of 28 (240 Views)

tried using a different stress test tool

★★★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict   I was told to try to use a different Stress test too (ADIAS64)  and individually test stuff (I done 3 without playing Sims 4) but I just did trying to play Sims 4 for 5 mins each  and  1 ran fine (CPU) but  there were problems apparently with GPU and with RAM.  With that last test I couldn't get past the loading screen Sims4stabilitytest.png

Sims4stabitytest2.png

stabilitytest3 (trying to play Sims 4).png

Message 27 of 28 (238 Views)

Re: tried using a different stress test tool

@Madamelee  I'm sorry, I really don't know how else to help you.  I think the best thing is to take the computer to a repair shop to have it evaluated.

Message 28 of 28 (224 Views)