PC Restart when playing SIMS4

by Yaelep1667799

Original Post

PC Restart when playing SIMS4

★★★ Newbie

Hi,

My daughter installed SIMS4.The PC meets all HW requirements and use to run other games like Minecraft, Overwatch etc.

After playing for about an hour (sometimes less than that and sometimes even when the game is only open but she doesn't make any actions), the PC restarts.

It happens only when SIMS4 is active.

I tried to look at the PC events log and I saw there is messages about Kernel-power.

Any idea how it can be related to the game and what can be done?

Thanks,

Gil

Message 1 of 5 (555 Views)

Re: PC Restart when playing SIMS4

@Yaelep1667799  I'd like to see the events logs you're looking at as well; you can just copy the info and paste it here.  Please also run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

And if this is a desktop, let me know what power supply it has: make, wattage, and rating, e.g. Corsair 750W 80+ Gold.  If it's a laptop, let me know whether the battery or power cord or brick has ever been replaced.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (540 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi,

The power supply is Corsair VS450, 450W. It s brand new as the previous one stopped working. The issues with SIMS4 started only after the power supply was replaced but the game was installed for only a few days before it happened.

Attached the two log files.

Thanks,

Gil

Message 3 of 5 (509 Views)

@Yaelep1667799  A 450W power supply is more than sufficient for this system, as I'm sure you know, and Corsair makes quality units.  So unless you happened to get a defective one, I wouldn't expect the PSU itself to be the issue.  However, it's possible that one or more cables aren't plugged in correctly or are causing other problems.  So please disconnect each cable at both ends and blow out the sockets (both sides) to make sure there isn't any dust or debris inside.  Then reconnect everything and make sure the cables are all secure or have snapped into place.

Please also make sure that the PSU's fan is facing the bottom our outside of the case, that it's not up against a solid surface, so that it can draw in fresh air.

If these steps don't help, try connecting the computer to a different wall socket.  I've seen a couple cases where the socket itself turned out to be the issue.

It's not related to the restarts, but your C drive is running quite low on space.  8 GB free isn't even enough to install a Windows feature update, and it's barely enough to allow for the temp files Windows and other applications can create.  So it would be best to clear up at least another 15 GB space.

Additionally, your dxdiag lists some errors related to the Nvidia graphics driver.  These are probably not related to the restarts either unless the graphics card itself is the problem, or the motherboard's PCIe slot is, but it's still worth doing a clean uninstall and reinstall of the driver.  This is a good guide:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/02/clean-re-install-of-graphics-drivers-with-display-driver-uninstall...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 5 (457 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you for all the help and advice. I just wanted to update that the only thing that solved the problem was replacing the graphic card that was probably damaged because of issues I had with the fan.

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 5 (311 Views)