Re: [PC] Crashes to Desktop (I figured it out, unsolved though)

by wimlego

Original Post

[PC] Crashes to Desktop (I figured it out, unsolved though)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform: PC, Desktop
Language: English

Original Post Title: [PC] Crashes to desktop after playing guitar (no error messages)

How often does the bug occur? Always (100%)
Game version: 1.63.136.1010
Expansions, game packs, and stuff packs installed: ALL OF THEM

Steps:

How can we find the bug ourselves [original post]? Play or practice with the guitar for a while then cancel the action.

How can we find the bug ourselves [NEW UPDATE]? Practice making drinks or doing bar tricks at maximum speed.
What happens when the bug occurs? Game crashes to the desktop without any error messages.
What do you expect to see [original post]? The sim puts the guitar down on the floor where it was picked it up.

What do you expect to see [NEW UPDATE]? Won't crash.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? NO.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes.
Please describe the patch or change you made: Purchased the Eco Lifestyle Expansion and reinstalled a fresh copy of the game.

Background:

The first time I posted an issue here was when my celebrity sim would "react in disgust" to everyone she met - sim or animals - even family. That's in another thread. I posted that last December 2019. Even though I later learned that there's a mod made by a 3rd-party gamer to fix the issue, I still wanted an official EA fix because we paid good money for this. The issue messed up my timing so much that I gave up playing altogether. I am a completionist gamer. I try to max out all my sim's skills and always start with the Renaissance Sim aspiration. But with that old sim, all instrument skills were maxed out - which means this specific bug did not exist back then. Now, I bought the new Eco Lifestyle Expansion and reinstalled a fresh copy of the game. No choice with that because my computer crashed a month ago and I had to reinstall Windows in a new SSD - that's the only hardware that was changed - HDD to SSD. It's essentially the same machine that I played Sims 4 with before. I wanted to play again to see if EA has finally fixed the "react in disgust" bug with the latest update. In order to do that, I am now building the same sim I made before and now steadily on the path to becoming a celebrity. Then suddenly, I get this new issue that I didn't have before.

Details:

So, to level up your skills, you need to do something related to that skill. I maxed out piano first and that went well. I got a violin but I am still on level 6 on that. I just maxed out my guitar skill but the crashes are really annoying (I have a workaround which I will discuss after this). So, this is what I do - I pick up the guitar and click "practice". I do this with fastest speed and look at the gauges rise. If I cancel the practice action within an hour or two (in-game time), it's all good. My sim will just put down the guitar. Another detail to note is that my sim has the "never hungry", "always fresh", and "never gets weary" reward traits. That really helps when you are cranking up skill-leveling. So, if you do hours and hours of straight practice (fun would be yellow at this point), canceling the practice action crashes the game. She will stop strumming and attempt to put the guitar down at which point, the game freezes for a second then crashes to the desktop. It seems like an animation bug or a graphical glitch of some kind. If you play songs (not practice), one or two songs are fine. If you queue up like four songs, the game will crash after the last song is played. It it helps, this also happened with the piano once or twice but that was it.

Workaround:

I get my sim to start practicing then I save the game. At half-gauge, I save the game. At new level, I save the game. I cancel out of the practice action, it crashes. I load the game, she is standing where she was practicing and the guitar is in her inventory with no loss of skill level gain (from the last save). I haven't tried the workaround for "playing songs" yet... just when practicing - which I will not be doing anymore since I have already maxed out guitar. Hopefully, the violin won't be having this issue because I am doing that next.

Update [6/26]:

I have done a lot of skill-maxing and added a basement to my lot. I have performed so many upgrades to new appliances and stuff and many time did the game crash. But I noticed that the crashes occur ONLY when the game is at fastest speed. It's like it is trying to load something or another sim is nearby and is doing something then that's when it goes crazy, freezes for a second, then crashes to the desktop. The next time I load the game, it doesn't crash anymore. But just a few minutes before I am writing this, I have saved the game at a spot near my bar where I would then start practicing making drinks or practicing bar tricks. If I keep the game running in normal speed, it crashed only one time. If I speed it up to fastest, it crashes every single time. It was just the guitar at first and now, it's the bar as well.

Message 1 of 7 (630 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I figured it out! It's ECO Lifestyle!

I reinstalled the game up to Discover University only and all my problems went away. Looks like we have to wait until they figure out all the quirks in this new expansion.

Message 2 of 7 (582 Views)

@wimlego  There are definitely a lot of bugs and glitches with Eco Lifestyle.  But I haven't heard of this one, not that that means anything.  Still, it's possible the pack didn't install correctly for you, and the crashing was a result.

If you want to experiment more, you can install EL and disable it when you don't feel like sorting through the errors.  While saves that have been played with EL might not be accessible without the pack, any save that has never been exposed to EL should be fine.  So you could start a new save and test, then if your game is still crashing, disable the pack and go back to saves that you played before reinstalling EL.  At the very least, you'll be able to test the pack when the next patch is released, but then if it still doesn't work well enough for you, you won't need to uninstall the whole game just to get rid of the pack.

Here's how to tell Origin not to load a pack:

https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2017/03/disable-single-packs/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 7 (556 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddictThank you. I am still experimenting on how I can further isolate the issues I am having with EL. It looks like it may have something to do with the graphics. I will report back here when I have more.

Message 4 of 7 (536 Views)

@wimlego  Great, I would love to hear whatever you figure out, especially since you're not the only one with issues after installing the pack.  If you'd like a second opinion, or just want to compare notes, a dxdiag would be great.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 5 of 7 (521 Views)

★ Apprentice

So, I am not sure what I did but it's not acting up anymore.

I uninstalled it, deleted any stray folders, completely wiped out the folder from Documents, and deleted all registry entries for Sims 4. I reinstalled the game including EL (patched to latest). I played the game straight for hours and -- it just worked as expected. Of course, the reason why I started playing again was to find out if they fixed the "React in Disgust" bug, which they didn't - I still got it in my new game right now. Before it started at Proper Celebrity (4-star) but now, it starts at B-Lister (3-star); getting worse. But as far as the crashes are concerned, it played straight until it crashed just now. Right before the crash, my sim was approached by no less than a dozen sims for conversation... then it crashed. Must have been interaction-related. A real global celebrity would also crash if a mob approached her, hahaha.

Kidding aside, I think there's still a bunch of stuff they need to iron out but the slow and sure installation helped on my part. I will continue to play using the "noreactindisgust" mod... just to see how far I can get before it crashes again.

Message 6 of 7 (499 Views)

@wimlego  Thanks for the update.  I'm glad it's working now, even if you don't know why.  If EL didn't install properly the first time though, that would account for the crashes before, and the relative lack of crashing now.

And yeah, there are a lot of features that need fixing.  Hopefully the next patch will address most of them.

Message 7 of 7 (464 Views)