Origin won't open Sims 4 - says I'm "in game"

by relynhomes

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin won't open Sims 4 - says I'm "in game"

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I'm on a PC - I just updated my game with the November 2020 update for Sims 4 (pre Snowy Escape). After updating it, I completely removed my mods in my Mods folder and put them on my desktop for now. 

I open Origin, click "Play" next to Sims 4 and this is what happens: Origin minimizes briefly, then comes back and says my status is "in game - Sims 4 deluxe edition." Sims 4 is not running (confirmed via Task Manager).

What I've done up to this point: 

-Repaired the game and all packs

-Uninstalled and reinstalled the game and Origin (twice on Origin)

-Updated my graphics card

-Made sure there were no Windows Updates to do

-Restarted my computer between all of these actions

-Set my entire PC's "Documents" folder (the one containing Electronic Arts > The Sims 4) to be shared with "Everyone" as per this other thread

-Cleared my Origin cache

-Removed the ENTIRE Electronic Arts folder 

-Tried to run both the Legacy Edition and the regular 64-bit edition AND tried to run them both as administrator

-Made sure my antivirus was making an exception for the origin folder, the origin games folder and the place where the Electronic Arts folder is supposed to be.

My PC info (I'm aware my processor isn't the best but it still is better than the minimum reqs.): https://valid.x86.fr/re7m6j 

Any ideas? Thanks

Edit: I played the game perfectly on Nov. 7, 2020, just a couple days before the update. And changed nothing on my computer between then and now (besides the update to Sims 4).

Message 1 of 13 (1,556 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Origin won't open Sims 4 - says I'm "in game"

★★★ Novice

SOLUTION. Instead of deleting this post, I'll post what I did in order to get it to work. It might also only be temporary because I would like to re-install my antivirus software.

First, I had to disable my antivirus software (I know, sounds sketchy already!) - then I enabled Windows Defender Virus Protection and added The Sims 4 as an exception to some controlled folder setting. Instructions below: 

1. Uninstall or disable your antivirus software
  2. Restart your computer
  3. Hit the Windows key on your keyboard. 
  4. Type "Windows Security"
  5. Click on the app that appears
  6. Click Virus & threat protection
  7. Click "Manage Settings" under Virus & threat protection settings
  8. Make sure Real-time protection is ON
  9. Scroll down to "Controlled folder access"
  10. Click manage controlled folder access
  11. Click Allow an app through Controlled folder access
  12. Click "Yes" when the dialogue box appears to ask for your permissions (administrator permission)
  13. Click +Add an allowed app
  14. Click browse all apps
  15. Browse to where your TS4.exe file is. It's often under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin" OR "C:\Program Files (x86)\The Sims 4\Game\Bin"
  16. Click the TS4 "Application" and click "Open"
  17. Try to start The Sims 4!

Mine worked without a restart, but it would be best to restart your computer after doing these steps. I hope this helps someone!!! Good gravy, what a day. 

View in thread

Message 3 of 13 (1,527 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Apprentice

lots of people on deluxe edition have been having serious issues but this is just weird-#

Message 2 of 13 (1,541 Views)

★★★ Novice

SOLUTION. Instead of deleting this post, I'll post what I did in order to get it to work. It might also only be temporary because I would like to re-install my antivirus software.

First, I had to disable my antivirus software (I know, sounds sketchy already!) - then I enabled Windows Defender Virus Protection and added The Sims 4 as an exception to some controlled folder setting. Instructions below: 

1. Uninstall or disable your antivirus software
  2. Restart your computer
  3. Hit the Windows key on your keyboard. 
  4. Type "Windows Security"
  5. Click on the app that appears
  6. Click Virus & threat protection
  7. Click "Manage Settings" under Virus & threat protection settings
  8. Make sure Real-time protection is ON
  9. Scroll down to "Controlled folder access"
  10. Click manage controlled folder access
  11. Click Allow an app through Controlled folder access
  12. Click "Yes" when the dialogue box appears to ask for your permissions (administrator permission)
  13. Click +Add an allowed app
  14. Click browse all apps
  15. Browse to where your TS4.exe file is. It's often under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin" OR "C:\Program Files (x86)\The Sims 4\Game\Bin"
  16. Click the TS4 "Application" and click "Open"
  17. Try to start The Sims 4!

Mine worked without a restart, but it would be best to restart your computer after doing these steps. I hope this helps someone!!! Good gravy, what a day. 

Message 3 of 13 (1,528 Views)

★★ Novice

This is .... interesting.

Because I did the same thing, but directly under Sophos.

There it will not work.

But i'm a bit anxious uninstalling my virusscanner.

Message 4 of 13 (1,467 Views)

Hero
@Leijs I wouldn't uninstall your virusscanner. Just find out how to add Sims 4 as an exception

What are you using ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 13 (1,464 Views)

★★ Novice
@crinrict I'm using Sophos @ Home

I actually added the bin directory as an exception there, but that didn't do the trick unfortunately.
Message 6 of 13 (1,454 Views)

Hero
@Leijs Don't know that at all. Is there some ransomware protection there and can you add files not folders ? Usually if it's a folder it's to exclude them from scans.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 7 of 13 (1,442 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Leijs I am using Sophos too. I tried initially to add it as an exception on the web portal and it didn't work. I finally found (under Help > Troubleshooting in the desktop app) the ability to add an .exe file to the local exceptions. I hope that works

Message 8 of 13 (1,424 Views)

★★★ Novice

I just did all of your steps and it still doesn't work for me oh my goddddd I'm going to lose my mind!!!

Message 9 of 13 (1,318 Views)

Hero
@adermc93 What security software are you using ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 13 (1,302 Views)