Origin won't let me play the Sims 4

by tonicitaaa

Original Post

Re: Origin won't let me play the Sims 4

★★★ Newbie

It doesnt work and its getting really annoying cause its been my dream game forever and then it didnt work so im starting to get anxious and i would appreciate it if u gave me some info on

how to do this

Message 11 of 89 (1,912 Views)

@erfgthjrghj  This thread is a bit old, and it sounds like the offered solution isn't relevant to your particular issue.  So it would be easier if you started your own thread describing your own issue in detail and any troubleshooting steps you've already tried that haven't worked.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 89 (1,906 Views)

★ Novice

Yes, mine has been doing the same thing since November 12th. I just wanted to play the sims. When I uninstall it, it comes on but I have to leave for school. Mines takes about an hours and a half to finish half of them. The other half failed to download,

Message 13 of 89 (1,750 Views)

@Vonnemmomma  I'm not sure I understand what's going on here.  What happens if you open Origin, click on the Sims 4 icon, and press Play?  Does your computer run Windows or macOS?

Message 14 of 89 (1,744 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

heresmy DxDiag

Message 15 of 89 (1,718 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I've also had the same problem as the person who started this thread but i have a windows 10. Is there any way i can open my sims 4 because every time i click on it it just takes me back to origin without doing anything 

Message 16 of 89 (1,717 Views)

@aresabankss  Your hard drive is quite low on space, with less than 10 GB left.  Try clearing up at least another 10 GB, or 5 at the minimum.

Once you've done that, clear Origin's cache and uninstall it "the hard way."

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-3/manually-uninstalling-the-sims-3/

Restart your computer, download the full Origin installer, and run it as an admin: right-click on the download and select "Run as administrator."  This is a direct download link:

http://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe

Please also undo any compatibility mode you've set for Sims 4.  The game should run fine in Windows 10.

Message 17 of 89 (1,679 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I've done all these steps but nothing worked and I've watched many tutorials plus videos but nothing has helped most of the tutorials talk about mods but I don't have any. Is there anything else that I can try because I really want to play the sims 4 I just got it on Monday and I don't want my money to go to waste. The demo version of create a sim seems to work fine but not the actual game itself

Message 18 of 89 (1,661 Views)

@aresabankss  There are plenty of other things you can do.  My first suggestions were to address the most obvious issues.  But your dxdiag points to other potential issues as well, and it's easy enough to just go down the list.

Start with a couple of basic checks of your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates.  If any are installed, restart your computer before moving on.

Please do clear more space on your hard drive though; this can't be eliminated as a potential cause of the issue until you have at least 15 GB free, although 20 would be better.  And as mentioned, you should have no compatibility setting for Sims 4 at all, so please undo any settings you've imposed.

When you've done all this, try to launch the game.  If it doesn't work, look for related errors in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes.  You'll see a list of errors and updates, with a column for each day.  (Today is all the way on the right.)

For any errors that happen around when you try to launch the game (after you run DISM and sfc), click "View technical details," then copy the information and paste it into a text document.  (Notepad is fine.)  You can attach the file to a post as you did with your dxdiag.  Sometimes the Reliability Monitor doesn't update right away, so if you don't see any related errors, be sure to check back an hour or two.  The timestamp on the initial chart can also be off by up to an hour, so that's not an entirely reliable metric, but the one within the technical details should be accurate.

Message 19 of 89 (1,647 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Message 20 of 89 (1,622 Views)