Origin uninstalled itself and now I have trouble reinstalling it

by Kreeture19

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin uninstalled itself and now I have trouble reinstalling it

★★★ Novice

I went to open Sims 4 and the Origin screen popped up as usual. However, as it usually minimizes and launches the game, this time it popped up a second time, so I knew something was wrong. I assumed it was about to update itself, but no. It tells me that Origin is not installed and that I need it in order to play the game. This baffled me, as I have not touched the Origin folder since I first downloaded it when I bought Sims 4. So, I thought I would go to my "Apps and Features" and uninstall it and just download it through my Chrome browser and reinstall it. Quick fix.

I was wrong. 

It shows up in my "Apps and Features," but as I click the Uninstall button, it tells me that "UninstallOrigin.exe" is not found. Okay. So I go to the Origin website and just redownload Origin Setup. This takes a good 7 minutes and, when it finally finishes downloading, I click on the icon in my downloads folder to begin installing Origin. The Origin screen pops up and starts installing Origin. The "Did You Know" section tells me lies about how "really, really fast" Origin downloads are, but that is a grievance for another time. Then, near the end of the installation, it stops and says "Whoops- the installer encountered an error. Please quit the installation and try again. You'll be up and running in no time." More lies. Because I tried again, and the same thing came up. 

I don't know what to do. 

Message 1 of 12 (11,289 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Origin uninstalled itself and now I have trouble reinstalling it

★★★ Novice
@roberta591 Thank you for your help, but the problem seems to have fixed itself. My computer updated last night and perhaps that had something to do with it. I just tried reinstalling Origin and it finally worked. I just wish I knew what happened so I will be more knowledgeable next time. Again, I really appreciate your help!

View in thread

Message 10 of 12 (14,398 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@Kreeture19  I'm guessing Origin got damaged somehow. First thing I would recommend is using a program called ccleaner (google it - there is a free veresion) and clean the registry. If that doesn't work look for a program called REVO uninstaller (google it - there is a free version). Origin is a stand alone client program which can be unistalled and re installed without affecting the game.

Message 2 of 12 (11,253 Views)

★★★ Novice
@roberta591 I tried CCleaner, but that did not help. I then tried Revo Uninstaller, but when I tried to uninstall Origin, it said "Running the application's uninstaller failed! Possible invalid uninstall command!"

So, I tried manually deleting the Origin files, and one I could delete without any problem. But, another one, the one that is located in the "Program Files (x86)" refuses to be deleted. So, this did not help either.

I appreciate your help very much, but I'm starting to think I can't get out of this one.
Message 3 of 12 (11,234 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Kreeture19   Did you try ccleaner registry cleaner option? Here is a link on maually removing Origin - how to manually uninstall Origin

Message 4 of 12 (11,219 Views)

★★★ Novice
@roberta591 I tried the CCleaner registry cleaner, but that did not help either. And, with trying to manually remove Origin, my computer will not let me delete it because I "don't have permission," even though I am the computer's administrator. When I go to change the permission settings for the Origin file, it says that "igoproxy.exe" is stopping me from doing so.
Message 5 of 12 (11,207 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@Kreeture19 What antivirus are you using? You still need to invoke "run as administrator" even if you are the administrator  of your system. Example right click file explorer and click run as administrator.

Message 6 of 12 (11,140 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

If you press the windows key (it should put up a search bar) and type in ' uninstall origin' or 'origin' it should show a program with which you can uninstall Origin. This might possibly be another way to uninstall Origin outside the windows removal way. If this does succeed you can re-download it from the Origin.com website and it should work again. 

Worth a shot Standard smile

Message 7 of 12 (11,131 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice
@roberta591 I am using McAfee Total Protection.
Message 8 of 12 (11,106 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Kreeture19  You need to check McAfee isn't blocking anything. I do not use third party antivirus unless needed and a gaming computer is not needed. I find the antivirus works very well and seems to be the least troublesome.

Message 9 of 12 (11,098 Views)

★★★ Novice
@roberta591 Thank you for your help, but the problem seems to have fixed itself. My computer updated last night and perhaps that had something to do with it. I just tried reinstalling Origin and it finally worked. I just wish I knew what happened so I will be more knowledgeable next time. Again, I really appreciate your help!
Message 10 of 12 (14,399 Views)