Origin/the sims 3 Error 12/13

by BGH22

Original Post

Re: Origin/the sims 3 Error 12/13

[ Edited ]
Hero

If you have the launcher and Origin open, what error are you getting when you try to download.

Everyone that has the new version needs Origin and they can still download fine, so what error are you getting when on the launcher and trying to downlaod Store Content ?

Caspin has already answered your other question in your other thread.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 51 of 97 (424 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

I get no errors. The only errors I get is in my DxDiag that the TS3w file and Origin errors. Its been manually unintsalled and reinstalled no change.

The launcer will not open at all when I try to download anything from the store. No error. It just wont work

and Caspin did not really answer my quesiton because Origin will not let me manually patch my game. Origin is automatically programed to give me the latest patch. I want to know if I remove origin will I then be able to patch my game and have it overwrite the patch that is there now

Message 52 of 97 (421 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Error 12 seems to be a memory problem. It is not how much physical memory but how the computer uses the memory. There has been a problem with the Microsoft operating system since its introduction. When a computer boots the operating system reserves areas of memory for buffers, stacks, temp files, and many other house keeping chores. Many of these areas are not dynamic and are finite in size. You can have all the memory in the world but if your stack overflows your application can (usually does) crash. This is called running out of system resources not phsical memory. You have to start at the beginning. TS3 is a 32 bit application and as such CAN NOT address more then 4gb of physical memory. 32 bit TS3 runs on 64 bit Windows under WOW64 (an interface layer of software). After the 4gb of lower memory is allocated the operating system will move parts of physical memory and write it out to vitual memory (hard drive space) and swap blocks of memory in and out as needed. This is a very simple explaination and I can write a book about this (I'm sure you can find a book about Microsoft memory management). Windows 8.1 is the latest iteration of the operating system. You are warned upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 could (probably) cause problems with applications. It does reset/reinstall the video driver as I had to correct video issues on my ASUS eee pc because of an unusual resolution the computer uses. Origin installs the game by default in a different place then the disc version. I'm guessing when you say the manual patch does not work is that the patch can't find the game due to registry problems. The only way to by pass the launcher and Origin is to have the old disc version. The download version needs to be activated online (SecuROM) the first time the game/pack is played and nobody seems to know if it reactivates from time to time (idk). I have run TS3 on at least 3 different computers and I can say I have never had an error 12. The fact you have much hard drive activity may not be TS3 (or the launcher or Origin). Windows 8 (and Windows 8.1) has a weird windows update that seems to take over the computer when it's trying to download an update. This could appear to give high hard drive activity. I like to maunually install my updates and then I know what my computer is doing (but Windows 8 thinks different). Another annoying thing is Windows Malicious Software Removal tool that downloads and runs in the background and then uninstalls itself when complete (It's like a software bug that disappears). I have seen several users have problems with TS3 running out of virtual memory (I feel Windows does a poor job of managing virtual memory - my opinion). I do know many game problems are resolved after hardware problems are optimized. I do not know the your computer's hardware configuration or operating system configuration. If TS3 will not run on  a clean Windows 8.1 install there is a problem. A simple question is did you turn on .net framework in Windows 8 features? The launcher will not run without .net framework and it is turned off by default.

Message 53 of 97 (412 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

You should have read the whole thread, Error 12 is a seperate issue from my origin problem sort of. I was getting Error 12  when I had a save going for a while with Origin and the launcher running hogging up all my ram. I was bypassing the launcher after that no issues but then the windows 8 to 8.1 messed the whole computer. Did a full system restore  I am now back to windows 8 with a clean install of the sims.

This is not true about the old disc version because on my old game that was running as of 2 weeks ago was all downloaded back in august 2013 and I could bypass the launcher and origin.

I need to bypass tthe launcher and origin so I can save my games with no issue but on clean installs whith the new origin origin has taken over as admin of the game. Windows on my computer has never stopped or interfeard with my downloads of the sims. Neither has norton.

On my old game that was working NORTON would always tell me Origin is high disk usage. If I used the launcher (which I cant use now) Norton would tell me high disc usage Launcher. It always gives me specifics on what is causing high disc usage.

Everyone replying seems to be missing the point of what I am dealing with.

MY DxDiag states Origin and the TS3W is the problem. This again is on a clean install with a game that I have not even played.

Message 54 of 97 (408 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Who is Caspin?

The launcher patches the game (not Origin). Origin is a stand alone program that evolved from the EA Downloader. The game uses parts of IE and Origin to provide communications and they don't have to be running. I do know if Origin and the game are not patched to the latest version there may be communication problems. You say when you try to down load a patch that the launcher does not open - that means there is a problem with the launcher. That could be cause by .net framework or a problem with the user data.

Message 55 of 97 (407 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

Origin has a hold of my launcher. I can not open my launcer beacuse of Origin. I have to delete Origin. The new version of Origin is what updates the patch.

My son has an old game in his computer I left click on his TS3 W file this morning and origin took it over to update, Origin is attached to teh TS3w file an the launcher. Welcome to the new version of origin. I am so mad!!!

The patch is fine as in it installed properly in my game but many are reporting new problems in their game since the new 1.67 patch. The patch and orgin update maybe conflicting with each other

PS Caspin seems to usually help with Mac Users

Message 56 of 97 (402 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I do know the launcher is not a well liked program and my guess is it may disappear (my guess). Does the launcher work at all? You are correct in that Origin starts up and provides an interface for the patch wizard. The patch has to download and then run. I'm not sure but Origin just may be a pass through to launch the patch.

Message 57 of 97 (394 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

This whole issue with Origin never use to be. By them doing this it stops my computer from running the game as admin. "Origin" has become admin for the game and wont let my computer be admin. I have no control of the game. Also I must have internet to log into origin so if the internet goes down or origin web goes down we have no wy to play the game off line. People discussed "Origin Offline " mode but the problem is you need an internet connection to log into origin to put it in off line mode in the first place. Any way you look at it you must have an internet connection to play the game at all. This is rediculious!!! I should be able to play my game from desktop if the internet goes down!

I go into origin to down load my games. If I click play game that is already installed the launcer will open. I can get in the game.  It's outside origin I can not download or upload. The launcher will not open. I even tried leaving origin logged in, went to the EA store to downlaod my paid for items and the launcher will not open

Message 58 of 97 (389 Views)

Hero (Retired)

The actual patch program is dfc-gorilla and that should start after the download is complete which may be a while as some of these patches are large. Well that's interesting Pocket Soft who wrote (and supported) dfc-gorilla no longer has it on their web site (I remember looking it up some time ago). I've had too many other projects to pay attention. It seems that Pocket Soft dropped the trade mark DFC-Gorilla on 9/28/2012 and is now using RTPatch (have no idea what this means).

Message 59 of 97 (385 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Did you try to download from your purchase history with the launcher open? The default program for .sim3pack files should be the launcher.

Message 60 of 97 (384 Views)