Origin error: unable to start due to missing game data. Install Legacy Edition

by SnarkyWitch

Original Post

Re: Origin error: unable to start due to missing game data. Install Legacy Editi

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@puzzlezaddictI know about the antivirus causing issues. I use Avast which was one of the antivirus programs causing that problem, but I have already added Origin and The Sims 4 as exceptions in Avast's ransomware shield and it did not solve the issue. I do not use MSI Afterburner or RivaTuner Statistics.

However, you may be on to something with the .exe file. I just checked and there is no TS4_x64.exe file in my Bin folder. I do have a Bin_LE folder with a TS4.exe file in it, though. I'm assuming this is the Legacy Edition? I'm not sure why I would have that folder as I have never installed The Legacy Edition and it does not show up as being installed under my Extra Content tab in Origin.

I suppose this means I'll just have to uninstall and reinstall everything a second time? Since I've added Origin and The Sims 4 to Avast's exception list, I shouldn't run into this issue again because Avast won't delete the .exe again, yes?

Message 11 of 33 (2,562 Views)

Re: Origin error: unable to start due to missing game data. Install Legacy Editi

@SnarkyWitch  A couple months ago, a few people with Avast reported the same error message as you had, with Avast installed.  It turned out that they didn't have TS4_x64.exe, despite having been able to play the game before and despite having set exceptions for it and Origin in Avast.  I'm not sure exactly which setting was at fault, but the only solution was reinstalling while Avast was totally disabled.

You can try clearing Origin's cache and repairing with Avast disabled, but if that doesn't help, then it might be necessary to uninstall and reinstall with Avast disabled.  You could of course try just with the exceptions set, but that didn't work for the first affected players.  If you want to save time when reinstalling, you can also just install the base game; if the exception doesn't help, uninstall and reinstall again with Avast disabled and see what happens.

And yes, TS4.exe is from the Legacy Edition.  Everyone has it regardless of whether the LE is installed; there are additional files that make the LE work that you wouldn't have installed, or else Origin would just run the LE without prompting you to download it.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 33 (14,486 Views)

★ Guide
@puzzlezaddict Thank you. I just reinstalled after adding the exceptions. Didn't think to disable Avast while doing so, but the game is running now and Avast gave me a notification that it added The Sims 4 to my Do Not Disturb list (one of its gaming features) which is a good sign it no longer sees The Sims 4 as a threat.

If the issue happens again, though, I will try reinstalling with Avast disabled.

Thank you for your help!
Message 13 of 33 (2,550 Views)

★ Guide

Just stopping back in to update on the issue.

The same error happened again. This time, I did disable my antivirus while I reinstalled the game. It worked for a few days until it didn't, again. So that solution was a bust for me.

However, I have found a fairly easy workaround. I decided to keep a copy of the TS4_x64.exe file on my desktop just in case Avast decided to nerf it again on me. I figured if I had a copy, I could just pop the .exe back into the Bin folder and have it run again without the need to reinstall anything. When Avast inevitably did delete the file on me again, I disabled Avast's shields and then placed my copy in the Bin folder. That allowed me to run the game again without the need to reinstall. Your antivirus shields must be disabled before you copy the file back into the Bin folder, or your antivirus will also block you from doing that even if you're the administrator.

So if this happens to anyone else, you can try following those steps whenever you get this annoying error.

Message 14 of 33 (2,485 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I'm not sure how to do any of these aspects

Message 15 of 33 (2,320 Views)

★ Novice

I had this issue last night. Doing a clean uninstall&reinstall did not help.  Clearing origin's cache did the trick. Thank you!

Message 16 of 33 (1,650 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@puzzlezaddict Avast !!! >Frown
Message 17 of 33 (1,440 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@SnarkyWitch Hey! The v,rus program deleted 64 bit of my game. I was using Avas.Then I uninstalled the virus program.And I asked steam to verify my game files.And deleted 64 bit is back! Standard smile
Message 18 of 33 (1,434 Views)

★ Novice

I had the same error as OP but I use AVG virus protection not Avast. 

Just wanted to add to this thread in case anyone with different virus protection software (such as AVG) has this issue. 

I found that disabling AVG then repairing the game worked for me. 

Hope this helps! 

Message 19 of 33 (1,425 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I'm also having this issue except I don't have origin. I downloaded the game after it went free and decided to just go with the EAdesktop version because i knew that i was going to have to switch anyways (my biggest mistake) i'm honestly lost on what to do here. 

Message 20 of 33 (1,008 Views)