Re: Origin, Download Failed, Windows has Blocked Our Attempts

by SilverFoxx44

Original Post

Origin, Download Failed, Windows has Blocked Our Attempts

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Ok first of all, thank you for reading this and helping me in advance. So this has been asked and solved many times before (but like two years ago??) but how do I get origin to work again?!

Today, out of boredom I decided to buy the sims 3 supernatural expansion pack since I have been playing with younger family members. To my surprise, origin takes my money, wont add the expansion packs i have (and the one i just bought) to "my games", then decides I cannot play the sims anymore without updating (but according to the sims launcher, my game IS updated completely). If I try to fix any of this, I receive this message: 

"Download Failed. Oops... Windows blocked our attempt to download game content. If you'd like to download content to your computer, select "retry" below. When prompted, grant permission with user account control pop-up." but surprise! No prompt ever shows up and if you click retry, the same message pops up again. I am running windows 7, I have tried every method i could find (though Im willing to try again if someone is willing to thoroughly explain), this message now pops up if i even open up origin. 

Things I have done: My computer account is an administrator, ive tried to make a second administrative profile, ive uninstalled origin and reinstalled it (through the control panel), ive i uninstalled /weird/ programs and i dont have my firewall or malware detection enabled. Ive tried everything ive come across but still no luck.

Its 2016, I just wanted to have a good time with my family, and if problems like this keep happening with origin, i may never buy games from EA for download again.

EDIT: I found a forum about not being able to find expansion packs (its under the i icon when you scroll over the sims 3) but I still get hit with an error message

Message 1 of 4 (5,165 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hello! I am not sure how much help I can be, but here are a few things you could try.

1.) Well, I noticed you said that 'the Sims 3 Supernatural' wasn't showing up in your 'My Games' section on Origin. Since there are so many Sims 3 games, Origin decided to pile them all together. So, if you hover over 'the Sims 3' in your 'My Games' section, and then press 'the Sims 3' button that has a little orange arrow next to it, it should take you to a screen with information about your game such as how many hours you have played it. If you scroll down on that page, you should be able to see all of the Expansion Packs and Stuff Packs for the Sims 3. The ones that are all bold should be the ones that you have. So, that should solve your problem of finding the game.

2.) If you go to your 'My Games' section, and right-click the Sims 3, there should be an option to 'repair' your game. Don't worry, I have done this before and it is not harmful to the game itself. If you have mods though, I would suggest moving the 'Mods' folder onto your desktop, repair it, then put it back in. It may take a little while but after it is done, try starting up the launcher and playing.

3.) Although it may say your game is up to date, it may not be. If you look below all of the Options on the left-hand side of the launcher where it says 'Version', you should have 1.69.43.024017 or at least, something 1.69_______

4.) Try reinstalling the Sims 3 Supernatural

5.) Go into the Sims 3 Game Launcher, press 'Expansions & Stuff' and then make sure all of your Expansion Packs and Stuff Packs are there and are checked.

Also, for the future, I would not recommend buying them Expansion Packs or Stuff Packs in digital copy. It's a lot safer and, in my opinion, easier to download/install.

I hope everything works out for you!

Message 2 of 4 (5,119 Views)

★ Apprentice

type msconfig>Services select "Hide all microsoft services" box at the bottom and disable (uncheck) Origin Client Service & Origin Web Helper Service. Restart PC

Message 3 of 4 (2,311 Views)

Community Manager
Great advice, @SilverFoxx44. I'm sure future readers will appreciate it. I'll close this thread here though as it's 4 years old and the issue back then wouldn't necessarily be the same as what might be occurring these days.

Folks if you have followed the advise in this thread and are still experiencing issues, please create a new thread and add any relevant information you can and we'll advise from there. Thank you

Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 4 of 4 (2,241 Views)