Opening Origin/Sims 4

by mariefoxprice

Original Post

Opening Origin/Sims 4

★ Apprentice

Sometimes I find that Origin and/or Sims 4 won't open at all for me, until I restart the computer. I'm trying to track a pattern but haven't found one yet.  I wondered if it's that issue of having to disable my antivirus software for a few minutes in order to load the game, as I frequently have to do when I want to play RPGs such as the Dragon Age franchise or some of my Steam games.  However, I just disabled and it didn't do anything - so much for a few minutes of sim editing before I have to leave for work!  It's frustrating because it can take an unnecessary amount of time just to load up Sims 4. 

Message 1 of 5 (383 Views)

Re: Opening Origin/Sims 4

Hero

Hi  @mariefoxprice 

I wouldn't disable your antivirus to play a game. It's better to add the exe files of the games as exceptions. Do you only have issues with EA games ? Then it might be best to also add Origin.exe.

What kind of Antivirus program are you using ?

Do you feel you have to restart because of the disabling each time ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 5 (367 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey there,

If you are using Windows as your OS , the game's process might be starting in the background.

What i would sugest is instead of restarting your PC when that happens you might wanna try going into task manager and see if the Sims 4 process is running and close it.(it should be called something along the lines "TS4.exe".

Underneath are a few links to help you out with task manager on Windows 7 through 10. On Windows 7 you have the specific "Processes" tab and on 8 and 10 you will find the processes in the "Details" tab:

Spoiler

I hope this helps, if the issues persists feel free to let me know and we'll try to troubleshoot this issue further together.

Have a great day! (^‿^)

-Fanatiikon

Message 3 of 5 (364 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thanks for your reply.  The antivirus issue is one that has been knocking around for a while.  It usually only needs to be disabled for 5 mins until a game actually starts.  It's not related to Origin alone - I know I had the same issue with Kingdom Come: Deliverance, which I bought off Steam and maybe The Witcher 3 but it's been a while since I played that so I can't be certain.  I use AVG.  I know for Dragon Age: Inquisition and Kingdom Come: Deliverance the games would start to open then immediately close with AVG running.  Origin and indeed Sims 4 often seem to open fine with the antivirus running, but as per my previous post, I'm still not sure what the core problem is when it doesn't work.  Unfortunately the instances in which it doesn't work seem to be  more frequent lately.  I don't remember having  issues getting Sims 4 to run before the last month or so.    

Message 4 of 5 (343 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thanks, I will try looking at the exe next time I have an issue Standard smile

Message 5 of 5 (342 Views)