Re: Onedrive issue with Sims 4

by FuzzVVizard

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Onedrive issue with Sims 4

★★★ Newbie

Hey everyone first time poster/parental figure trying to save the day. So onedrive apparently is an awful beast that takes sims saves, including mods and hoards them all. We noticed this on the family pc and I basically backed up everything from my step daughters sims game onto a flash drive. None of us wanted onedrive on the computer so I uninstalled it. Now we put the files all back from the flash drive, but when we open the game none of the mods and none of kiddo’s saves are on there. The only content available is what we paid for (thank god lol) 

Did I make an extreme lapse in judgement doing what I did or is there a way to at least get the saves back and working. The files all show up on the desktop in their folder, but not in-game. Obviously she’d love to have all the mods brought back but the big cause of despair are the saves. This kid put a ton of time into these over quarantine and I’m hoping someone could help restoring the saves at the very least. 

thanks for any assistance!

Message 1 of 7 (4,367 Views)

Accepted Solution

@FuzzVVizard  Right, the files need to be in the Documents directory, specifically in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4.  The game won't read them if they're anywhere else, including on the desktop.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 7 (4,345 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@FuzzVVizard  You didn't make a mistake in your overall approach; I'd have done the same thing.  The only issue is it sounds like your daughter's content is in a folder on the desktop.  The game won't read any content that isn't in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4, and if it doesn't find a Sims 4 folder there, it will create a new one.  Best practice is to copy the contents of the saves, Tray, and Mods folders, not the folders themselves, from the Sims 4 folder you moved to the new one in Documents\Electronic Arts.

It should also be noted that many mods and pretty much all cc skins need updating after yesterday's patch, so it might be better to test without mods first.  As long as your daughter doesn't save the game with the mods and cc missing, it won't disappear permanently from her saves.

Message 2 of 7 (4,364 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@puzzlezaddict Hey man thanks for the reply. Sadly that doesn’t seem to be the case. When I copied the folder with everything in it, it managed to move everything out in the EA folder. lol yes on the desktop and all the content is in there. It’s like the game itself isn’t finding the EA folder itself to get the info out of it. Is there a way to get them to work together again? Lol

Message 3 of 7 (4,356 Views)

@FuzzVVizard  What do you mean, that the system moved everything out of Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 and back to the folder on the desktop?  You should be able to put files inside, unless the permissions on the system are messed up.

Message 4 of 7 (4,353 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@puzzlezaddict @lol my bad I explained that poorly. So after I uninstalled onedrive, I uploaded the entire EAfolder back to the desktop. Everything is all there and intact, it’s just the game won’t recognize them. It’s like they don’t exist even though it’s all clearly on the computer again. 

Message 5 of 7 (4,349 Views)

@FuzzVVizard  Right, the files need to be in the Documents directory, specifically in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4.  The game won't read them if they're anywhere else, including on the desktop.

Message 6 of 7 (4,346 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@puzzlezaddict @Omg dude you are a life saver that was it!!! Just needed it documents. That was so dumb and simple you have our gratitude!!!

Message 7 of 7 (4,334 Views)