Old Sims on a New computer

by kwana1994

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Old Sims on a New computer

★★ Novice

Hi, I just have a few questions. My uncle had given me the sims 3 and three expansions packs and I played them all on my Acer laptop but that laptop is broken and I cannot use it at all. My question is will I be able to play it on a new computer with my expansion packs? Also, will I still be able to have my old game or will I have to start over? (Totally fine if I have to start over, as long as I can still play and have all of my expansions packs.) 

Also, another question. I've been looking for a new laptop but I don't have much knowledge on the best ones to buy. I got my last one from rent a center after I broke the one I had before. ( I have bad luck with laptop screens lol). I'm wondering what would be the best laptop to play Sims with? I am a student so I need a laptop that I can work on and also play sims without it being super slow and crashing. My Acer was great for playing sims aside from some minor glitching that occurred. I mostly use Google Drive to save all of my work and I don't really download things but I wanted to also use some video editing software like Adobe so I was going to get a Mac. I've heard those are good computers for using Adobe and video editing software but I read some comments that they're not really good for playing sims with. I know this is long winded so basically what I'm asking is what is a good laptop where I can play sims, do work, and use adobe creative cloud? Also, one that is possibly not super expensive? I'd like to stay away from Acer as I have broken two screens and the first one I had was super slow. Thank you. 

Message 1 of 9 (2,487 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Old Sims on a New computer

@kwana1994  Honestly, I would never buy a used laptop under any circumstances.  The previous owner could have damaged it in any number of ways, or just stressed its hardware excessively (like trying to run a game that was too demanding), and you won't know there's a problem until it breaks down.

The best time to look for deals is probably right after Christmas, when stores are looking to unload extra inventory.  In the meantime, here are a few laptops I found that would run TS3 just fine:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834235023

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834316524

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834155024

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154939

You'll notice that the clock speeds of the processors are just under the 2.4 GHz threshold, but these newer models will still handle TS3 without any issues.

If you're not ready to buy yet, you can always come back later, and someone will help you find what you're looking for.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 8 of 9 (2,423 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@kwana1994  If your games are registered to you in Origin, then you can download them for free onto your new computer.  If you own disc copies, they'll have come with codes on the backs of the inserts inside the CD cases, and those codes can be added to your Origin account.  Or you could reinstall from disc, if your new computer has a disc drive and authenticates the discs.  (This doesn't always work, especially with Windows 10.)

Your saves are stored in your TS3 game folder, in Documents\Electronic Arts, so you'd have to retrieve that data from your old computer and transfer it to your new one.  If that's not possible, then yes, you'd have to start over.

I love macs—I'm typing on one right now—but for TS3, they're absolutely not the right choice, especially if you're looking for a laptop.  Macbook airs don't run the game particularly well, lacking both a dedicated graphics card and adequate cooling; the cheaper macbooks (not pro) probably won't even launch TS3.  The only Apple laptop that can handle TS3 on high settings is the 15" macbook pro, but it sounds like that's a lot more money than you're looking to spend.  Additionally, TS3 in mac OS is extremely limited compared to Windows 10 for a variety of reasons that I can get into if you're interested.  But the bottom line is, Windows 10 will run the game much better.

A laptop that can run TS3 and all packs on high settings will cost at least $900 U.S. (more in other countries), although you can probably find one for $800 or a bit less during these holiday sales.  Acer is actually a decent brand, although like other brands, it makes lower-quality entry-level laptops as well as ones for gaming.  Still, if you'd rather not buy Acer, ASUS and MSI are both good choices.  The specs you'd need in a laptop are:

• Intel i7 processor, preferably quad core, at least 2.4 GHz, or AMD equivalent, and not U-series (the processor will have a U on the end of it)
  • 8 GB RAM.  16 GB is preferable for other reasons, like running multiple apps at once and future-proofing, but TS3 doesn't need it
  • a dedicated graphics card, at least an Nvidia 960 or 1050 ti, or AMD equivalent.
  • 512 GB storage.  An SSD is nice but not necessary.  With a single 256 GB hard drive, you'll likely run out of space quickly, even using cloud storage

If you're looking at a particular laptop, I can tell you whether it would run TS3 well.  Or, if you'd prefer, someone here can try to find you a few models.  Just list your budget and country, as well as any other features you'd need the laptop to have.

Message 2 of 9 (2,477 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you. I downloaded it from origin i believe. My uncle emailed me the games and i downloaded them.

I’m definitely convinced to stick with a PC. Maybe I can find a PC that’s also good with video editing software. My Acer wasn’t good with it at all and the software wouldn’t work at all.

Thank you for all of your advice. I’m not really looking for a specific laptop. I’ve heard HP laptops are really good. If I have to pay a little more than I’m willing, to have a good laptop, I’ll do it. Like I said, I’ve broken a few screens and I’d like to avoid that if I can. 

Message 3 of 9 (2,465 Views)

@kwana1994  HP laptops tend to be a bit overpriced for the hardware you get.  Plus, they're not known for their cooling, which is an important consideration with a game that makes the graphics card work hard, as TS3 does.  We tend to recommend that players avoid buying HP and Dell, if they have options.

Again, if you're looking for recommendations, people here can help with that.  But it is important to know your budget and country, since options can vary widely.

Message 4 of 9 (2,459 Views)

★★ Novice

I am in the US. I guess I’d say my budget is around $300 but I can be flexible for a laptop that’s going to last me a while. Not just for playing sims (although I’m dying to get back to playing), just one that is durable for when i take it out of the house. 

Thank you. I’ll avoid HP and Dell. I don’t know the exact Acer one I had since my dad got it for me at rent a center but it was touch screen and could be folded to use as a tablet and it was big. I’d try to get it again but I’m afraid of messing up the screen again. 

Message 5 of 9 (2,452 Views)

@kwana1994  Unfortunately, $300 isn't going to get you a laptop capable of handling TS3.  You might find one that can run the base game on low settings, but even that could be stressful enough to damage a computer in that class.  Laptops capable of running the entire game, i.e. all packs, are generally $900 or more, although with the holiday deals you might be able to get one for a bit under $800.  If you can't afford that right now, it's probably better to get a computer just for school and not try to play TS3 on it at all.  It would be awful to destroy your laptop trying to run a game that's too demanding for its hardware.

And I'm not surprised that your old Acer didn't hold up.  It sounds like a two-in-one laptop, which is basically a tablet with a keyboard and slightly better hardware.  Those machines aren't meant for gaming, or really anything besides surfing the web and school or office work.  Occasionally we see questions about playing on a system like that, and sooner or later, it always ends badly.

I wish I could point you to a cheaper option for TS3, but they're just not out there.  Sorry I don't have anything better to offer.

Message 6 of 9 (2,444 Views)

★★ Novice

It’s alright. Thanks for all your help. I most definitely can’t afford to spend $900 but maybe I can buy one used somewhere for a little less. Or I’ll just start saving up. If you have any suggestions on brands I should get, I’ll go look them up. 

Message 7 of 9 (2,433 Views)

@kwana1994  Honestly, I would never buy a used laptop under any circumstances.  The previous owner could have damaged it in any number of ways, or just stressed its hardware excessively (like trying to run a game that was too demanding), and you won't know there's a problem until it breaks down.

The best time to look for deals is probably right after Christmas, when stores are looking to unload extra inventory.  In the meantime, here are a few laptops I found that would run TS3 just fine:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834235023

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834316524

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834155024

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154939

You'll notice that the clock speeds of the processors are just under the 2.4 GHz threshold, but these newer models will still handle TS3 without any issues.

If you're not ready to buy yet, you can always come back later, and someone will help you find what you're looking for.

Message 8 of 9 (2,424 Views)

★★ Novice
Thank you so much for all of your help. I’m going to check out the links you sent me.
Message 9 of 9 (2,359 Views)