ORIGIN PUSHED A TS3 "PATCH", LAUNCHER UNINSTALLED WORLDS, SAVE BONKED AND LAUNCH

by tomanynote

Original Post

Highlighted

ORIGIN PUSHED A TS3 "PATCH", LAUNCHER UNINSTALLED WORLDS, SAVE BONKED AND LAUNCH

★ Apprentice

I'm getting the error, "Sims3Pack install failed. Please make sure your game has the latest software updates and try again." The Launcher shows the latest patch [1.69.43]. When I try to search this error on Google, I am met with "old" fixes from when the game was still receiving patches.

Unfortunately, I was playing Riverview, and since it uninstalled the world I can't load my save. Help! 

Message 1 of 10 (744 Views)

Re: ORIGIN PUSHED A TS3 "PATCH", LAUNCHER UNINSTALLED WORLDS, SAVE BON

@tomanynote  Try installing Riverview into a clean game folder.  Pull your existing Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, open the launcher to spasn a clean folder, and download and install Riverview into it.  Start a new save to make sure Riverview loads properly.  If it does, you can install the rest of your store content (in small batches) into this folder, then move over your saves and other content once you're sure everything is in place.  Here's an explanation of the files you'll find in your game folder:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

If you happen to have a lot of store content, and it would be a pain to reinstall all of it, let me know—there are ways to try to preserve the existing installed store files.  But first test your other store content, including premium content, in your existing game folder—start a new save, place the items, and have a sim try to use them.  You might need to rebuild your store content anyway.

If you can't get Riverview to install properly even with a clean folder in place, is there anything that changed since the last time you played?  Game reinstall or patch, account problems, Origin problems, anything new could theoretically affect your store stuff.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 10 (735 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thank you. Origin randomly pushed a TS3 "patch" on me last night, out of nowhere .I say "patch" in quotation marks because, as we all know, TS3 does not receive patches. It must've been a glitch. Then, it changed the game thumbnail in the library and slapped a "New!" banner over my game. I think it's an Origin issue. 

I'll try installing it into a clean folder. Additionally, I should mention that it isn't just Riverview: several other Store items aren't installing, either. Oddly, they don't have thumbnails when they import into the launcher.

Message 3 of 10 (707 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I'm having the same issue. TS3 Launcher only uninstalls Sims 3 Store content. I fixed it once by completely uninstalling the game and reinstalling and then it happened a second time. I've already attempted to update the game and repair the game but it doesn't matter. Store content will not install or stay installed for that matter and it's making the game very infuriating to try and play.

Just discovered that you can't use the desktop icon to open launcher/game you have to hit play from Origin Launcher. So stupid.

Message 4 of 10 (669 Views)

@Summerbear5  When you uninstalled and reinstalled the game, did you restore your Sims 3 game folder (the one in Documents\Electronic Arts)?  If so, please remove it and try installing into a clean game folder.  There are plenty of cache and temp files that can get corrupted and mess with store content.  If you get everything installed and working in the clean folder, you can transfer your saves and other content into it from your old game folder.

Another point is that the launcher doesn't handle large amounts of data very well.  It's best to install only a few items at a time, and worlds one at a time separately; otherwise, the files that store the bundled content can themselves be corrupted.

Message 5 of 10 (659 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Everything was installed into a brand new folder and saves were transferred over afterwards. As I edited in my original post if you hit play from the Origin Launcher it's perfectly fine no need to reinstall content, but if you play from the desktop icon all the sims 3 store content is not installed and cannot be installed. Very Strange.

Message 6 of 10 (655 Views)

@Summerbear5  I thought you were saying you couldn't use the desktop icon to launch the game at all.  That wouldn't be so strange—an Origin-controlled install needs Origin to be running before the game will launch, and starting the process from the desktop icon doesn't always work.

But I'm curious what that icon is a shortcut for, since there are four separate .exe files that TS3 can use, depending on the type of install and whether you're calling the launcher or the game itself.  And if you use this shortcut, does the content get uninstalled or replaced in your game folder in Documents, or is it still there?  If you quit once you notice the content missing, then relaunch from Origin, does the store stuff reappear in-game?

Message 7 of 10 (650 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Ok so I checked what you said. I right clicked the icon on the desktop and went to open file location. The desktop icon is pointing to Sims3Launcher.exe in the Program File (x86) > Origin > The Sims 3 > Game > Bin

I always make sure Origin is running before using the desktop icon. When I use the desktop icon all the custom content I've downloaded/installed is in there and perfectly fine. Only The Sims 3 Store content is not installed...but it shows it all in there. When trying to install I get the error message as described in the original post. Everything is still in the downloads folder...shows in launcher...it's just showing as not installed. 

The first time I launched the game I got a message that content was missing and replaced so I exited without saving. When I figured out I had to hit play from within Origin Game Library...I went back into the game and everything was there perfectly fine...I did not have to reinstall anything it was just there like nothing ever happened. I can now only play from Origin Game Library for my stuff to be showing as installed. 

Message 8 of 10 (648 Views)

@Summerbear5  Great, thanks for all the info, it's really helpful.  I'm not sure why this would happen, but maybe there's some file that doesn't load properly?  (Maybe I should test myself, once I get an Origin install properly set up—I'm currently on Steam.)  You could try launching from TS3.exe, in the same Bin folder, to see whether it makes a difference.  It will still bring up the launcher, but maybe your store stuff will show up this time.

Message 9 of 10 (641 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Ok I will try that and report back by editing this post. Running RL errands atm.

EDIT: Using TS3.exe from Program File (x86) > Origin Games > The Sims 3 > Game > Bin actually opened up The Sims 3 Launcher not the game and the store stuff was listed but not installed. 

Message 10 of 10 (639 Views)