Re: Nvidia Control Panel Problem

by crinrict

Original Post

Nvidia Control Panel Problem

[ Edited ]

I tried to use Nvidia Control Panel to set my nvidia graphics card as default for sims 4. The problem is that the option to do this (select graphics processor for this program) is missing. The control panel should look like this:

https://imgur.com/gg2VFcG

But mine looks like this:https://imgur.com/U7kfZi9

I have an Alienware area 51m gaming laptop

i9-9900K

16GB RAM

Nvidia RTX 2080

Message 1 of 10 (1,120 Views)

Hero
@thisisarealpainx Do you have a intel chip as well ? If not, you don't need to set anything. The game will your your card.

The option only shows up if you have a dual graphics card setup (Intel Chip/Nivida Card)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 10 (1,095 Views)

Hi Crinrinct. Thank you for replying. Yes, I do have two graphics cards. I have the intel UHD graphics 630 and the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080

Message 3 of 10 (1,065 Views)

Hero
@thisisarealpainx Maybe one is disabled ? Did you check in your device manager ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 10 (1,052 Views)

@crinrict I checked and the Intel graphics card is definitely not disabled and neither is the NVIDIA one.

Message 5 of 10 (1,048 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Make sure drivers are up to date. Doesn't hurt to do so. Factory drivers aren't always up to date.

You can enable a tray icon the Nvidia Control Panel to show all applications using the dedicated GPU.
Open Nvidia Control Panel...
Check ✓ Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area
35776644990_64435f1e61_o.png
Bottom-right corner windows desktop display tray looks like this: ^ When you have to game running, look for the rainbow icon. Left-click to show all applications using the GPU.
35776646180_ba45ec7b01_o.jpg

If you see The Sims 4 listed, the laptop is using the dedicated graphics card correctly. There shouldn't be any reason to disable the integrated graphics chip. Laptops with both an integrated chip and a dedicated card will switch between the two as needed to save on battery + resources. When launching programs such as games, then the dedicated card is put to use. Sometimes this does require opening up Nvidia Control panel making sure it's set to use the dedicated card as you've already done.

I wouldn't worry about how the Control Panel appears for someone else. Different drivers / graphics cards can affect how the Nvidia control panel appears. I promise if the game is showing up in that tray notification, this means the correct GPU (which would be your RTX 2080) is in use.

Message 6 of 10 (977 Views)

Hero

Do you have any actual issues with the game ? 

Could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

You can attach the txt file to your post directly.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 10 (1,009 Views)

I've not had any issues but since I did pay for the NVIDIA graphics card I wanted to make sure that's the one my computer is using. And I do now want to know why the option isn't there because it should be. Here's my dxdiag report.

Message 8 of 10 (990 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@thisisarealpainx You don't need to worry. Your computer is set to always use the Nvidia card.

There's a file called config.log in your Sims doc folder that will tell you that it's used if you want to be sure

You're all good except that there should be newer drivers for your Nvidia card..

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 10 (962 Views)

Thank you. I didn’t know that file existed, I’ll have a look. I’ll also download a newer driver.

Message 10 of 10 (914 Views)