Re: Numpad time control not working

by Phantomlover1717

Original Post

Numpad time control not working

★★ Novice

Time control (0,1,2,3) is not working on the number pad. I have a Windows 10 and before had no problems using these shortcuts but now they will not work. 0 does nothing 1 takes all walls down 2 moves the camera 3 goes down a level. I am so use to using 0 to pause the game, 1 to use normal speed, 2 to go a little faster, and 3 to go the fastest. Please help me I don't know what to do. I have restarted the game and my computer multiple times. Also going ctrl + shift + c and typing help then hitting esc doesn't work. 

Message 1 of 9 (1,210 Views)

Try turning on/off num lock. It's a button right above the numbers. On my keyboard it just says NUM LK, so something like that. 

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 2 of 9 (1,193 Views)

★★ Novice

I have tried that. 

Message 3 of 9 (1,182 Views)

★★ Apprentice
did you do some sort of system/drivers update lately? do you have some impair accesibility option on? those can swap keys on your keyboard. you can even turn them on without noticing pressing quickly shift 5 times on a row.
Message 4 of 9 (1,180 Views)

★★ Novice

I did do a system update a couple days ago. I do not have any impair accesibilty on I doubled checked to make sure (thank you for suggesting that I didn't think about it until you said something) I tried looking into my keyboard to see if there is anything that I can switch to help make it work but I don't see anything that jumps out. Any suggestions?  

Message 5 of 9 (1,163 Views)

★★ Apprentice
check if num lock is on, that swaps the numeric board into arrows and page up/down if turned off. be aware maybe on a system reboot can turn itself off.
check in the control panel if there is no setting to manually swap it. for example if we talk about a laptop, to turn on num lock may be a combination of keys, or a bios/firmware setting, if you recently updated the firmware that can have swapped a setting to always turn off the num lock.
if it is a regular desktop pc, you can try on windows to unplug the board, wait like 30 seconds, then plug it back in. maybe on the update it used some weird driver not proper for your keyboard.
it could be a keyboard failure as well. did it get any damage, like a bump or liquid spilled? even the ones "water proof" that have a chassis with holes on the bottom, even those can get damaged as well. just examples of what could happen.
if if you have a spare/older keyboard to do tests, please plug it in if possible and test its not a keyboard problem.
Message 6 of 9 (1,155 Views)

What you described is exactly what you get when Num Lock is turned off. 1, 2, 4, 6 and 8 move the camera and that's about it.
When Num Lock is turned on you are able to use 1, 2 and 3 to change the speed. Could you test in notepad if the buttons are still functional?

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 7 of 9 (1,147 Views)

★★ Novice

so I double checked and I am able to use the numbers as they are suppose to be use in regular use but it still won't let me use it for the shortcut. I notice when the num Lock is turn off the pad does nothing. 

Message 8 of 9 (1,124 Views)

It's correct that you can turn the num pad off. Do you have any mods or CC in game that might be messing with the controls?

Could you test and rename your The Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts? Just add a old to the end of it. When you start the game you'll get a clean game, test it, see if it has something to do with your folder. If it still doesn't work just delete the new folder and name the old one back to The Sims 4. If it does fix the issue start moving folders over one by one and testing in between to see where the problem is located. 

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 9 of 9 (1,119 Views)