No interior sunlight/sunrays graphics bug

by T-Bone_Bryant

Original Post

Accepted Solution

No interior sunlight/sunrays graphics bug

★★ Novice

It's been a while since EA updated the lighting so windows would let in actualy sunlight and cast proper shadows. However I recently noticed that it does not properly work for me. When I build a wall with windows the sun shines through correctly and casts shadows on objects and they themselves cast shadows on the floor. However, if I close the walls to a room the defined shadows and lights vanish into this generic blur. See screenshots attached.

Now, I read a lot of times that the PC stats could be an issues or that mods might interfere ... well, I have the same issues in a vanilla game with all mods disabled and have the following specs that I think should suffice. My NVIDIA control center actually shows me that the highest settings are well supported.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
RAM 32 GB

NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super
Game installed on an SSD

Any ideas? My interiors look so bland with that generic lighting.

Message 1 of 5 (1,226 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: No interior sunlight/sunrays graphics bug

[ Edited ]

@T-Bone_Bryant  Have you confirmed that your in-game settings are on ultra?  Does it make a difference whether the room has a roof and ceiling, or flooring or walls for that matter?  Have you ever messed with graphicsrules.sgr inside the game's program files?

It would also be useful to test in a clean user folder, as in, move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, letting the game create a new one the next time it loaded.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (1,201 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@T-Bone_Bryant  Have you confirmed that your in-game settings are on ultra?  Does it make a difference whether the room has a roof and ceiling, or flooring or walls for that matter?  Have you ever messed with graphicsrules.sgr inside the game's program files?

It would also be useful to test in a clean user folder, as in, move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, letting the game create a new one the next time it loaded.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (1,202 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict  Okay, now I feel really stupid. I did all of your suggestions and it turns out that when I changed the "prop $ConfigGroup NumberCascadeLevels" in the graphicsrules.sgr to "1" - to get rid of that jumpy sun movement - that had started the issue. Look how beautifully the sun shines through the skylight onto the stairs <3

Didn't even once consider that could be the connection. But also guess that's why Maxis never been able to fix the movement of the sun.

THANKS THOUGH! Now I will contemplate what is more important to me XD

Message 3 of 5 (1,181 Views)

★ Novice

what did you do to get the sunlight indoors like in the screenshoot?? Can you explain step by step pls

Message 4 of 5 (518 Views)

Community Manager

Hi all,

As this thread is older now, it's been locked to prevent necro-posting.

If you're needing further help on this topic, please feel free to create a new thread instead and we'll be happy to take a look with you Standard smile 

solaire.png

Message 5 of 5 (491 Views)