Re: No game audio after reconnecting headphones to laptop after unplugging prior

by roberta591

Original Post

No game audio after reconnecting headphones to laptop after unplugging prior.

★ Novice

This is kind of an odd issue.  

My Sims 4 is updated with the latest 1.94 patch (although this started happening when I still had 1.93.version.  I started noticing that at first, my game audio would be ok. Then, when I would unplug my headphones from my laptop and later plug them back in, suddenly my game had no audio.  Nothing. I would adjust my system volume to no effect. Audio is functional with everything else on my PC. I would always have to restart my game in order to restore in-game audio. 
Note: I use a pair of USB-C headphones (have an adaptor to use on my laptop) as I don't have a working pair of regular 3.5mm headphones.  I was curious if this was a common game bug and are there plans to rectify it?
Here is a dxdiag I just ran.

Message 1 of 6 (1,016 Views)

Re: No game audio after reconnecting headphones to laptop after unplugging prior

Hero (Retired)

@carrebear74 Did you check the computere sound settings to see if there are any settings for sound with the usb-c connector?

Message 2 of 6 (991 Views)

★ Novice

Hi Roberta

Just the usual settings: Allow apps and Windows to use this device for audio; output settings, audio enhancements & spatial audio.

This only happens in the game. My other applications all work perfect.  

Message 3 of 6 (978 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@carrebear74  I know what you are saying and there have been some posts about audio issues but not related to usb-c.. My Samsung Note 20 Ultra phone does not have a 3.5mm jack so I have to use an adapter (I don't like buds) so I have no way of testing it. I think the dollar store (well - dollar and a quarter now) have cheap headsets. In the game there is a setting in audio where is says stereo for headset.  I don't know what it does though. Being an empty nester I don't worry about noise. Some laptops are known to have custom drivers just for that model. Would be worth going to Lenovo and see if there is a newer driver.

Message 4 of 6 (972 Views)

★ Novice

This happens to me too. Every time I connect/disconnect/reconnect an audio device, the game audio simply stops existing on my computer. The only solution I've found is to restart my game, but I hate having to restart multiple times a night because my earbuds connected to my phone when I got up from my computer.

Message 5 of 6 (793 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

had this issue for YEARS - restarting the game isn't a satisfactory fix. I'm sick of having to save, exit, restart. it's the WORST kind of workaround. Always happens if i disconnect / reconnect bluetooth headphones. Sims 4 audio disappears from windows volume mixer for apps. UGH!

Message 6 of 6 (606 Views)