No frozen lakes or rivers during winter??

by beattleeyes

Original Post

No frozen lakes or rivers during winter??

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.51.77.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All, except fitness and bowling.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Not sure
What happens when the bug occurs? Every time it's winter and I'm in a neighbourhood the bodies of water surrounding the neighbourhood e.g. lakes, waterways or rivers will not freeze over. They just stay blue and unfrozen with no ice covering. This wasn't happening a few months ago.
What do you expect to see? Frozen lakes, waterways and rivers during winter. Ice should be over the top of them.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

6 months ago in the major winter neighbourhoods most bodies if water (except the ocean) were freezing over during the winter season. This is not happening anymore. During winter when I'm in Willow Creek or Newcrest the lakes and rivers are not freezing over at all, it's just blue water. No ice nothing to make it look like it's frozen over. 

Message 1 of 16 (1,014 Views)

Re: No frozen lakes or rivers during winter??

★★★★ Guide
@beattleeyes They changed the water texture for Island living and need to fix the other worlds ice texture.
Message 2 of 16 (991 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for that! Standard smile

Now I don't have to keep freaking out that I did something wrong haha

Message 3 of 16 (988 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Yeah if you look in the water in some worlds you can see the buttom of the water instead of the reflection you used to see.  In other places you can see the water has no bottom with lines through it.

Message 4 of 16 (982 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

We haven't had the pre pack patch yet @Sid1701d9, and I've played through winter since the last patches and the bodies of water were frozen over correctly in my game. I'm currently in Fall right now in game, but I'm not seeing what you're describing about the water looking different.

There was a recent bug report about odd lines on water, but it was determined to be a technical issue as Crin couldn't reproduce it in her game. Are you saying you also don't have frozen bodies of water in your game? Weather transitions are also gradual, so they won't be frozen over immediately either.

@beattleeyes Have you tried repairing your game and starting a new save in Winter to see if this problem still happens?

Message 5 of 16 (968 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@manzana0807My question is how can it be technical when I see lines in the water in some worlds. If you would check I believe I made a comment in there about it. In some worlds water never freezes like in Oasis Springs, which is the world I have been playing for a while.

Also, Crin is Crin and is sometimes slow to change things around. Also EA ability to recognize the people that are on youtube as game changers, when failing to realize the true game changers is silly. The True game changers are the ones that try to break the game just to see what happens, report bugs and provide feedback, but yet they cater to the media outlets because it gives them more new players.

Edit: I almost forgot I just said a while back they changed the water texture for worlds with oceans in them, not saying all words water was changed.  Also not saying that the new texture water don't freeze eventually.  Also if you look at WindingBurg the ocean area you can see the texture change and lines in the water.  This is the same for the world that came with pets.

Another thing  people are saying is that the new water feature is only going to be available in shuni, Not true, Lyndsay said on twitter, "On, in Shuni for now, not looking through her bloated twitter account for the twitter retreat because that would take me way to long.  However, its found on the other sims forum that the person archives everything.  I believe they are going to use Shuni as a test to see if they want to progress the Island Living features to the other 3 worlds.  I believe the 3 worlds are prepped and ready.

Message 6 of 16 (953 Views)

★★ Pro

I understand what you're saying, but I'm just not seeing this with the water in my game.

My Sims were just at party at The Bluffs in Windenburg during one of my last play sessions and I zoomed around looking for any oddities in the water, but I didn't see any. Then I saw that the report here was not actually a bug, but related to the player's hardware, so it didn't matter anyway.

I know water never freezes in Oasis Springs because of the climate, but I think that's irrelevant to the OP's problem.

I might add, I also have an AMD card (RX 580X 8GB), and I know from past experience that can make a difference. At any rate, I will leave this up to Crin to test.

Message 7 of 16 (920 Views)

★★★ Novice

@manzana0807 

I deleted all mods, uninstalled the game, installed it again, repaired it on origin and checked that it was up to date. I opened up a new game and played a SIM through the winter season on Newcrest and the water did not freeze over in the neighbourhood. 

I wasn't sure if it was a bug or not, I'm sorry if I've put this question in the wrong category. 

From your reply, do you think it might be an issue with my game or PC?

Thanks!

Message 8 of 16 (913 Views)

★★ Pro

Not necessarily!

I actually just thought of some things to ask you:

1. What's the actual temperature in the world when you see this?

It could be, even if there's some snowfall, that it's not cold enough to freeze the water. So far, for me, every winter in game has been a little bit different. And travel between worlds definitely seems to impact the weather. I've left the lot with a household with no snow on the ground and warm temps in winter to come back to a lot of snow and freezing cold!

2. It's just Willow Creek and Newcrest where this happens?

3. What happens if you try to have a Sim go fishing? If it's freezing out (which is when the water should be frozen over) it should tell you that it's too cold to fish.

4. Have you ever used any weather mods? I only know of a couple from Mod the Sims, but just though I'd double check. Since you did a reinstall that probably wouldn't matter anyway though.

Message 9 of 16 (892 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Hi @beattleeyes 

Additional to @manzana0807 questions which give you a great indication if it's a texture issue or something else going on

Could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

You can attach the txt file to your post directly.

• Did you change anything on your computer since this started ? New Graphics drivers ? New mods ?
  • Did you also do a complete user folder rename and tested a new save ?
  • What settings do you have your graphics on ? Did you change anything about that ?

I'm also not able to replicate this.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 10 of 16 (882 Views)